PDA

View Full Version : Dog

neverraced
08-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Anyone else have that dog on one of their favorite loops---that dog that doesn't seem to react to anything, not trucks, not motorcycles, fire engines, nothing seems to disturb that dog, not a parade, not even a parade of letter carriers with a cats-only marching band will rouse him---until you, on your bike about 2 blocks away...

stevep
08-22-2007, 07:54 PM
best interaction w/ a dog for me was many moons ago.
this dog used to piss me off... bark, chase, etc
i yelled, sprayed water- nada.

one day i took my zefal hpx and w/ a perfect swing the pump extended to full length and it popped him right in the nose.
he howled and howled and ran off behind the house.
from that day forward when i rode by the sob would go up on the owners porch and hide behind a chair.

a highpoint for me.

Fixed
08-22-2007, 08:13 PM
is there a leash law ..if so tell the owner if that doesn't work animal control
cheers
http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovusdogleashlaws.htm

regularguy412
08-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Ammonia and water mixed 50/50 in a spare water bottle. Better than pepper spray (especially in a wind ). It's not permanently harmful, but a little up their nose or in the eyes and the completely forget about the bike.

Usually only takes ONE time. :)

Mike in AR

Richard
08-22-2007, 08:23 PM
On one of my rides the road makes a very large radius bend. The road is slightly uphill and at my best I can maintain about 24 MPH. There is a dog that consistently watches me go by, then bolts into the woods taking the straight path from its house to a point in the road where it can emerge at my wheel. It seems that at any speed less than 20, it can calculate the correct closing speed and get to my wheel. It is amazing to watch as it bolts through brambles, over fallen trees while I alter speed up and down to try to create confusion for it. Rarely works as it is one smart dog. It is a game for us both, but I fear a painful end someday.

michael white
08-22-2007, 08:52 PM
On one of my rides the road makes a very large radius bend. The road is slightly uphill and at my best I can maintain about 24 MPH. There is a dog that consistently watches me go by, then bolts into the woods taking the straight path from its house to a point in the road where it can emerge at my wheel. It seems that at any speed less than 20, it can calculate the correct closing speed and get to my wheel. It is amazing to watch as it bolts through brambles, over fallen trees while I alter speed up and down to try to create confusion for it. Rarely works as it is one smart dog. It is a game for us both, but I fear a painful end someday.

this is a great post. awesome dog. I know what you mean about trying to fool them, but it's what they do, and they've usually got your number.

my dog died last sat. night, so I'm feeling sentimental about dogs. I don't think she ever chased a bike, though.

mw

Fixed
08-22-2007, 09:00 PM
i'm sad for you bro dogs are like family imho

michael white
08-22-2007, 09:07 PM
thanks.

davids
08-22-2007, 09:14 PM
One of my regular rides in Maine includes about 5 miles of packed-dirt road. About 4 miles in, I pass a house with a German Shepard who, like clockwork, charges towards me as I approach, turns to run with me as I ride by, and gets throttled by his chain as I go down the road. Barking all the while.

The first few times I rode by his, uh, exuberance, took me by surprise. At this point, I'd be disappointed if he didn't make the same runs at me each time.

There's some other dogs along my regular ride routes, but they're not as predictable as this guy.

Sandy
08-22-2007, 09:33 PM

The dog is smarter than you think. There are actually two dogs. The first one sees you and calls ahead to his cousin. Then the first dog takes a nap. The second dog sits waiting further up in the woods waiting for you to reach him, and then he bolts at the last instant. After that happens, he takes a nap. Later the dogs talk on the phone about how they fooled the silly guy dressed in the even sillier outfit with the even sillier shoes.

Next week, they told me that they have a real surprise for you- Chucky. Chucky Cheetah says that he wants to join the fun. How should I put it without alarming you?? 24 mph just ain't going to make it when Chucky Cheetah joins in the fun. :) :)

Simple Sandy

Sandy
08-22-2007, 09:47 PM
I have never tried to outrun a dog. I always admonish the dog very sternly and then stop my bike (unless that will put other cyclists in harms way, in which case, I still admonish the dog as above. I have never had a problem doing that. Most dogs do not want to bite you. A lot of them are in it for the chase.

I just can't imagine taking any overtly offensive action towards any dog unless it was actually in the process of attacking me. Dogs are great readers of communication, both from other dogs and people.

I did one time drop a ten ton boulder on a particularly nasty looking dog that really scared me- He was a Kevanshire Terrier. The dog just shook off the boulder and kept on chasing me. The rest of it is a blur to me.... :)

Shiloh Shepherd Sandy

RIHans
08-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Back in the old days, say 1974 or so, I was racing as a Jr. for the CYBC
team, before it was CYBC- Richard Sachs. I went to a weeklong training camp in Rocky Mount, NC to stay with Grant Mann and David Ware, two kick *** bike riders...David made the 1980 Olympic team, but USA never made the trip to Moscow.

There was a guy from Jacksonville, Bob, also training there, and one afternoon, we went out for a spin. We are on those back country roads, farmland mostly. I'm in the lead, FL guy on my wheel, going fast, when I hear the dog coming. Then, CRASH! Dog yelpping, FL guy, pissed, laying in the middle of the road, bleeding, bike all f-ed up.

The dog limps over to this shack looking dwelling as I help Bob get it together. Then this big ol' country boy appears, grabs the dog, and ties it to a tree..then turns around and goes into the shack.
Now we are really pissed. Not a word from the dogs owner, Bob's all road rash, front wheel twisted, 5 miles from Grant's house.

Then, the sound of a creeking screen door, and country boy is on the front porch with a shotgun in his hands!!! Oh ####!!! You know when every hair on the back of your neck stands up, real quick like?
He walks over to the dog, BANG, shoots the dog dead right in front of us! Country boy then walks over to the side of the road, looks at Bob, and says, "I told that damn dog to stay out of the road." Turns on his heal, and back into the shack.

All true. Ya gotta love NC country boys with shotguns. Effin dog.

Bud_E
08-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Here's my favorite dog story:

Several years ago I was struggling up a steep grade in Bel Air which is a well-to-do neighborhood of L.A. A little yappy dog came tearing out of the front yard of a house and was jumping and nipping at my heels. Because of the steepness of the grade I couldn't outride the little sucker. I pulled out my frame pump and tried to bop him on the nose. Finally he ran back to the house where he came from. I looked up and there was an elderly man working in his garage in the house next door - he smiled at me and said "Did you give him a good hit ?" .

Sandy
08-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Back in the old days, say 1974 or so, I was racing as a Jr. for the CYBC
team, before it was CYBC- Richard Sachs. I went to a weeklong training camp in Rocky Mount, NC to stay with Grant Mann and David Ware, two kick *** bike riders...David made the 1980 Olympic team, but USA never made the trip to Moscow.

There was a guy from Jacksonville, Bob, also training there, and one afternoon, we went out for a spin. We are on those back country roads, farmland mostly. I'm in the lead, FL guy on my wheel, going fast, when I hear the dog coming. Then, CRASH! Dog yelpping, FL guy, pissed, laying in the middle of the road, bleeding, bike all f-ed up.

The dog limps over to this shack looking dwelling as I help Bob get it together. Then this big ol' country boy appears, grabs the dog, and ties it to a tree..then turns around and goes into the shack.
Now we are really pissed. Not a word from the dogs owner, Bob's all road rash, front wheel twisted, 5 miles from Grant's house.

Then, the sound of a creeking screen door, and country boy is on the front porch with a shotgun in his hands!!! Oh ####!!! You know when every hair on the back of your neck stands up, real quick like?
He walks over to the dog, BANG, shoots the dog dead right in front of us! Country boy then walks over to the side of the road, looks at Bob, and says, "I told that damn dog to stay out of the road." Turns on his heal, and back into the shack.

All true. Ya gotta love NC country boys with shotguns. Effin dog.

Bad story! The dog should have shot the boy, as the boy was an irresponsible owner for not controlling the dog. A dog is dead because of the boy. Sorry, but I don't think the story is enjoyable or funny or anything like that. It is sad and pathetic to me.

Sandy

steve575
08-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I had a real nasty dog on a regular route. It was on a decent hill, so out running it was out. The worst thing was the owners just sat on the porch and did nothing, actually it wasn't a porch, more of a make shift deck on a single wide trailer with "merry christmas" permanantly spray painted across it. One day I was chugging up the hill. I could see the dog crouched down beside the trailer watching me, ready to attack. The dog was to my left. Also to my left was a Chevy Blazer speeding down the hill. The dog and the Blazer driver were both watching me, not seeing each other. The dog lunged at me, and bam! The dog flew back into the yard, the blazer sped off one way, I road off the other way, and the owner finally got up off his porch.

imp25rs
08-22-2007, 10:29 PM
best interaction w/ a dog for me was many moons ago.
this dog used to piss me off... bark, chase, etc
i yelled, sprayed water- nada.

one day i took my zefal hpx and w/ a perfect swing the pump extended to full length and it popped him right in the nose.
he howled and howled and ran off behind the house.
from that day forward when i rode by the sob would go up on the owners porch and hide behind a chair.

a highpoint for me.

I have done the same thing. Works great.

While I haven't actually outran a dog, my friend and I did out run a bear once. We were mountain biking in Eastern Washington (Winthrop area). We had seen a bear down in the valley when we were riding ealier in the day. We came to a corner in the middle of a long down hill section and stopped for a quick break. Just as we stopped, my friend looks up and says "Look a bear cup." Before we could even think that we needed to get out of there, we hear something crashing towards up from the other direction (luckily a little ways away). We were about 25 yards from where the trail comes out onto a logging road and heads steeply down hill for a 3/4 of a mile or so. Without even thinking about it we were off down the hill faster than we had ever gone before!! We are pretty sure she stopped chasing us when she realized we weren't a threat. We ended up in the same area the next day and saw that she had run THROUGH a 5" tree that had fallen over some time before.

It is amazing how much faster you can ride when you are scared.

Michael, sorry to hear about your dog. I have lost a couple in the past and it is never easy.

david
08-22-2007, 10:43 PM
couple dog stories.

1. a friend bopped an angry dog on the nose with his silca impero. dog yelped big time and ran back to his house. later, my friend looked at his pump and found a crack in it. stuck in the crack were a few hairs from the dogs nose. ouch.

2. i used to train with a bunch of guys out of berkeley. we knew where the bad dogs were. so we used to start barking whenever we approached the dogs. which, of course, would result in a wicked sprint to see who would be left for the dog to chew on. great sprint training. even better than city limits.

William
08-23-2007, 05:12 AM
There is a climb a couple of miles from the house where a German Sheppard (No, not your Milk Bone friend Beungood) used to always come out and chase me. Well, try to chase me. He was pretty old and had a hard time keeping up. This was on the last turn before the top of the hill so a bang out a sprint was a tough option. The first time he scared the carp out of me when he started barking and bolted for my wheel. I was only scared for a moment until I realized this boy must have been a card carrying member of the AARP for many years. After that I actually looked forward to seeing him every time I climbed that hill. The shear determination to chase me down was beautiful to behold. He just didn't have the horsepower to back it up any more but darned if he wasn't going to give his all trying. I'm sure in his youth he nailed many a cyclist on that bend.

The past two seasons he hasn't been out there to greet me. The same people still live there so I think he may be chasing cyclists in heaven now.

William

Nick H.
08-23-2007, 07:10 AM
I might have to remember that ammonia trick if I ever manage to realise my dream of cycling round the world. I've read accounts of cyclists being pursued for many miles by Anatolian Shepherd Dogs in Turkey. They have been known to kill bears. Let's say you stop and get off your bike - will the dog go for you? They're not very sociable, according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd_Dog

I used to be a milkman and could intimidate any dog enough to stop it biting me. But I did come up against a guard dog at a Russian diplomatic property once. It was completely still until I got within range of its chain. Then, without making a sound, it leaped at my throat. Good thing the chain held.

Dave B
08-23-2007, 07:44 AM
I do not have any sort of different dog story so instead I am dictating what my dog Max has to say about bikers......"Thanks dad....I get such a kick out of you cyclists. When dad used to get on his bike he was always matching in some sort of tight material. Gosh did he look funny.

I think all of you have everything all wrong. Us dogs do not want to bite you at all. Trust me if you tasted you when you are all sweaty with road grime on you...it doesnot taste like chicken. What we dogs are trying to do is tell you about new routes we have discovered or how nice your bike is. You are going so fast that we have to chase after you so you can hear us.

I actually like chasing dad, he isn't very fast and I am more like "Yellow Dog" from the movie Funny Farm, so I like to lay on the porch and watch the grass grow.

I have heard through some of my cousins and friends that they try to take a bite out of you every once in awhile, but they just like to hear grown men scream like little girls.

Oh yeah and about that country boy shooting our fallen brother. We know all about him and trust me he has no idea what is in store for him."

Well there you have it guys and gals, straight from my dog's mouth to your ears.

Fixed
08-23-2007, 07:50 AM
bro what was the dog's name in breaking away ? oops american flyers
cheers http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0088707/

thejen12
08-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm feeling sentimental about dogs.
mw
Condolences.

This must be a tough time, but I'm sure she gave you many happy memories to cherish.

Take care,

Jenn

steve v
08-23-2007, 11:55 AM
I always bring a couple dog treats with me. It took a little while but the local dogs love me now. Got chased by a cow once too, they can sprint much faster than I thought.

michael white
08-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Condolences.

This must be a tough time, but I'm sure she gave you many happy memories to cherish.

Take care,

Jenn

thanks Jenn,
looking back at my 11 years with Elizabeth, my black lab, I think of all the vet bills, the kennel bills, the dogtrain classes, all the hours tossing the ball for her, and what I feel now is that I did nothing for her in comparison to what she did for me. That is probably not how she saw it, but it's how I see it. She saw me through a bad divorce, a lot of change both good and bad, and was noble, stubborn, and sweet to the end. I'm quite taken aback by how hard this is.

best,
mw

Kevan
08-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Bad story! The dog should have shot the boy, as the boy was an irresponsible owner for not controlling the dog. A dog is dead because of the boy. Sorry, but I don't think the story is enjoyable or funny or anything like that. It is sad and pathetic to me.

Sandy

Kevanshire Terrier, huh Sandy?

BURCH
08-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Luckily, I don't have any dog stories. But I do get a chuckle of out this one.

I introduced my wife to raod cycling several years ago. We have never really ridden in back country areas. Mostly in or around cities. Anyhow, we did a 55 miler with the local bike club. The ride was all in Rural Southern Indiana. At the beginning of the ride, my wife and I were chatting with the ride leader and I asked if we had any rouge or packs of dogs to worry about on the route. My wife almost fell off her bike. Especially when I started telling her about dogs that chase cyclists and how in the country you can get packs of dogs. Her experession was priceless. We didn't see any dogs that day, but she still hasn't been tempted to bike over in Indiana anymore.

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Ammonia and water mixed 50/50 in a spare water bottle. Better than pepper spray (especially in a wind ). It's not permanently harmful, but a little up their nose or in the eyes and the completely forget about the bike.

Usually only takes ONE time. :)

Mike in AR

. . . which bottle is which! :eek:

BBD

Sandy
08-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Kevanshire Terrier, huh Sandy?

The Kevanshire Terrier is rather unique. Not pretty at all. Well actually, it is quite ugly. Always snarling, growling, with a funny looking green jel like substance oozing from its mouth. Rather scarey. In fact very scarey. The only dog in dog kingdom that I am genuinely afraid of. I was told once that it is quite bright. Never noticed that. I was always too busy trying to climb a tree to get away from the critter. Ever seen one?? :rolleyes:

So Seriously Shaking So Seriously Scared

Sandy
08-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Luckily, I don't have any dog stories. But I do get a chuckle of out this one.

I introduced my wife to raod cycling several years ago. We have never really ridden in back country areas. Mostly in or around cities. Anyhow, we did a 55 miler with the local bike club. The ride was all in Rural Southern Indiana. At the beginning of the ride, my wife and I were chatting with the ride leader and I asked if we had any rouge or packs of dogs to worry about on the route. My wife almost fell off her bike. Especially when I started telling her about dogs that chase cyclists and how in the country you can get packs of dogs. Her experession was priceless. We didn't see any dogs that day, but she still hasn't been tempted to bike over in Indiana anymore.

Packs of dogs are much more dangerous than a single dog. Certainly because of numbers, but also because they take on a pack mentality and that can sometimes be really dangerous- more focus and it can be a follow the leader type mentality and the leader might be aggressive. I once heard an "expert" say that all you need is 3 dogs and you can have the pack mentality.

Sandy

Kevan
08-23-2007, 02:40 PM
The Kevanshire Terrier is rather unique. Not pretty at all. Well actually, it is quite ugly. Always snarling, growling, with a funny looking green jel like substance oozing from its mouth. Rather scarey. In fact very scarey. The only dog in dog kingdom that I am genuinely afraid of. I was told once that it is quite bright. Never noticed that. I was always too busy trying to climb a tree to get away from the critter. Ever seen one?? :rolleyes:

So Seriously Shaking So Seriously Scared

Fierce Kevanshire Terrier has treed what can only be described as a 200 lb, balding, racoon. This terrier needs a pack complete with some tree scaling talent. In the meantime I'm busy gnawing at the base of the tree. By morning we'll see how fast he can run.

nobrakes
08-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Dogs in USA always seem much more agressive to cyclists than ones I've encountered in Europe. Dogs here seem more psychotic and territorial than those in Europe, particularly local dogs in Spain and Italy, who are so laid back a cyclist just isn't worth getting up from a nap in the road for.
I've considered the explanation that there are lots more cyclists on the roads in Europe, and that the dogs are just 'used to' cyclists, yet not far from my house, on a road that has many, many cyclists and pedestrians pass by on, there has been a couple of psycho-dogs that can't seem to get enough out of snarling and attacking as we go by. Yes, they're (thankfully) behind a fence, roam freely on about a 5 acre lot, with only about 200' of roadside access. Yet, this is where these dogs spend 99% of their time, snarling at people passing by.
Is it something about being in the US that makes them so psycho? Just an observation, dog attitudes may vary in your locale. I hope it's not because of our water supply(!).

Karin Kirk
08-23-2007, 04:47 PM
So sorry Michael - it's just so sad when our ol' friends pass. Hang in there, and once the hurtful part has passed you'll have a lifetime of fond memories to enjoy.

So here's a bike-dog story that Sandy will like:
There is a house on a big curve on a quiet road that we ride on all the time. It's got tons of dogs and a huge fence. Thanks to the fence the dogs are not a worry at all, and we ride by slowly to watch the inevitable parade of little dogs as they wake up from their naps and give chase. Most of the dogs are tiny, like little pugs and such. There must be at least 10 of them! It's hilarious to watch. We call them along and they run inside the fence on their short little legs, yipping all the way.

Everyone has fun!

gone
08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I ride down in S. Texas occasionally, near the Mexican border. The area I ride in is generally fairly poor and the drug gangs are pretty well entrenched on both sides of the border. I've had the misfortune on a couple of occasions to ride past a dilapidated double-wide out in the country with a dozen or so dogs of the pit bull variety running loose as an "early warning system" for the trailer.

The only thing to do is avoid those places. The dogs are in sufficient numbers that mace, ammonia (in any concentration), or "speaking in an authoritative voice" will get you nowhere. I've never been so frightened in my life, nor sprinted so fast.

regularguy412
08-23-2007, 09:29 PM
. . . which bottle is which! :eek:

BBD

The secret is to put the ammonia/water in one of the smaller, 20 oz bottles(usually an old one with one of those 'non-user-friendly' poppet valves) and keep that bottle in yer back pocket. Every cyclist has at least one of these 'bottles' that they prefer NOT to use for their energy drink.

Then you never get'em mixed up. Plus, you can smell the ammonia before you get the valve in your mouth.

Mike in AR

swoop
08-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Got chased by a cow once too, they can sprint much faster than I thought.

???

RIHans
08-23-2007, 11:38 PM
[ Got chased by a cow once too, they can sprint much faster than I thought.[/QUOTE]
Though I was never chased by a cow, we had to urge them off the road now and again. And they sometimes didn't like it.

regularguy412
08-24-2007, 07:40 AM
[ Got chased by a cow once too, they can sprint much faster than I thought.
Though I was never chased by a cow, we had to urge them off the road now and again. And they sometimes didn't like it.[/QUOTE]

Friend of mine was in a century pack with about 20 other riders and some horses broke out of the adjacent, fenced field and got _IN_ the pack with the riders. Luckily, no one was hurt,, but it was an extremely dangerous situation.

Mike in AR

cadence231
08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
This guy for a few years chased everytime I rode by. Now you can't get him off the couch.