PDA

View Full Version : Pilates or Concept2 Rower?

Sandy
08-22-2007, 06:58 AM
At the end of the fourth week in June, I became highly motivated to lose weight and improve my cycling, especially my pathetic climbing ability. I was 225 at the time, down from a high of 240 earlier in the year when I had stopped cycling for 4 months. I went on a strict diet and started to ride more- Today, I hit 200, and will reach the 185 mark. I started cycling more and now I want to become more focused. That will take a willingness to simply push more in group rides, and hopefully get some coaching from Ti Designs later in the year- especially on pedal stroke.

I need to get better core and overall strength. My legs have a little strength, but that is about it. Several years ago I used a Concept2 Rower a few times and really enjoyed it. It seemed to give a great all body workout, even the core. Some of you, who know about training, have said that Pilates is the way to go for core strength training and flexibility, but I am intimidated by it some as I am really not very flexible and am basically weak, except my legs (and giant sized brain :) ).

So what should I choose? Pilates or a Concept2 Rower or both?

Thanks!!

:banana: Somewhat Slimmer Sometime Svelte Skinny Simpleton Serotta Sandy :banana:

William
08-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Sandy,

I would choose the Concept 2. I am biased though, I've been using them for years and IMHO, it's the best piece of exercise equipment that you can buy. You can use it for aerobic and anerobic workouts. It's all in your focus and how you use it.

Seriously, it will really help your climbing ability as well. If you do decide to get one, get it straight from the factory. If you buy it from an exercise store etc... you'll pay about twice the price of factory direct.

Best of luck in which ever you choose.

William

Dave B
08-22-2007, 07:17 AM
I would go with a yoga or Pilates simply for the flexibility and core strengthening aspect. While a rower would also be beneficial, I feel it would not be as holistically beneficial. If I picture in my head the two activities any sort of stregthening exercise over a cardio focused one is going to have a greater impact.

If you want better cardio for cycling then I would suggest cycling specific activities or strength training.

But a yoga or pilates would benefit your entire body, which also helps with cycling and other aspects of your life.

I lift weights everyday and end with a stretching routine. It has made a world of difference in my battles with depression, obvious strength issues and my losing battle with being obese.

Anyway, just thoughts. With regards to being intimidated. I totally understand that. Express this to the class instructor or anyone who will help you with tyhe class. If they are aware they "should" help you beocme at ease. You might want to begin with yoga as it is a peacful yet strenous atmosphere, pilates will add more cardio and a more difficult pose/exercise.

Everything you do will benefit you.

keno
08-22-2007, 07:19 AM
BTW, the tattoo on my right ankle would be Rollers 101.

William
08-22-2007, 07:21 AM
For the record, rowing builds excellent strength, core and whole body as well as kicking the aerobic up. Flexibility is where pilates excells over rowing.

IMHO and my EXP.

William

Sandy
08-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks William and Mr. President.

Mr. President- I once went to a basic class on stretching. The instructor, a trainer at the club used to belong to, was stocky. But she was incredibly strong and extremely flexible. I was in the back of the class and would look in her direction to understand the stretches we (or should I say the rest of the class) were doing. In my line of vision was a middle aged, well built woman who was amazing in her flexiblility and total ease in what she was doing. Talk about being intimidated. At the end of the class, I went up to talk to the instructor, and the other woman was there. Turns out she had been instucting Yoga for 12 years.....I never did a class again......

Stretching Sandy

Too Tall
08-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Both :) Seriously. Look you've listened to my lame advice so far so why not now!!! I offered to teach you once a week Pilates so that you WON'T be intimidated once you sign up for a class. Check out the Rockville ADI center's schedule. They have a great deal and teachers are decent.
American Dance Institute. You want the beginner "Mat" class.

1570 East Jefferson St.
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone: (301) 984-3003
Fax: (301) 468-5841
info@americandance.org
http://americandance.org/new/html/pilates.htm

PS - TiLegend can have you man, I'll pay him to coach you ;) xxoo, TT

Sandy
08-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Both :) Seriously. Look you've listened to my lame advice so far so why not now!!! I offered to teach you once a week Pilates so that you WON'T be intimidated once you sign up for a class. Check out the Rockville ADI center's schedule. They have a great deal and teachers are decent.
American Dance Institute. You want the beginner "Mat" class.

1570 East Jefferson St.
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone: (301) 984-3003
Fax: (301) 468-5841
info@americandance.org
http://americandance.org/new/html/pilates.htm

PS - TiLegend can have you man, I'll pay him to coach you ;) xxoo, TT

Your offer to teach me once a week stood out in my pea brain, but I did not want to take advantage of you, as you are always available and willing to help people improve, but I know that you are a busy man.

Sandy

Fixed
08-22-2007, 07:35 AM
bro I wish i lived up there you guys are cool imho
cheers

Dave B
08-22-2007, 07:41 AM
bro I wish i lived up there you guys are cool imho
cheers

Me Too! I cannot wait to get out of Indiana!

Sandy
08-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Please come and vist sometime. We will find you a place to stay and a bike to ride. Fixed- I can't guarantee that you will be fast enough to keep up with me though!! :) :) :) :)

Still Snail Slow Sandy

Dave B
08-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Please come and vist sometime. We will find you a place to stay and a bike to ride. Fixed- I can't guarantee that you will be fast enough to keep up with me though!! :) :) :) :)

Still Snail Slow Sandy

Ok it is on! That is what is so great about teacing! 16 weeks of paid vacation through out the calendar year (with 8 of them in the summer)

Ray
08-22-2007, 07:57 AM
TT is right - they're different with different benefits, so do both if at all possible. If not, the Concept II is somewhat similar to cycling in the way it works your legs and cardio, so it's just more of the same thing - you could get a lot of the same benefit on the bike.

But the REAL benefit of doing Pilates is the scenery. Not if you do it the way Keno did with private lessons and a bunch of equipment (yes, there are good reasons to do it that way too). But you will be in Pilates class with a bunch of young and/or fit women who are flexible in ways you can only imagine. If there are 2-3 men in the class it will be a lot. The women are generally very nice to the men in the class - we don't tend to be nearly as flexible as they are and they'll take pity. And when you can't do a particular movement, it's OK to just sit and watch! BTW, yoga is somewhat similar - more emphasis on flexibility and meditative breathing, but a combination of both is a good way to spend the winter.

Seriously, Pilates will do something completely different for you than riding but with flexibility and core strength that will help your riding indirectly just by making you feel more comfortable on the bike (and off). A concept II will do something slightly different but with lots of overlap with cycling. Lots of reasons to go with Pilates if you can only do one.

-Ray

BURCH
08-22-2007, 08:14 AM
I have been on the erg tons while rowing in College and have stolen some time on my wife's pilates cds. Both are great. Get the machine and the cds.

also, if you don't dread/hate the erg after a few months, you are not using it properly!

William
08-22-2007, 08:20 AM
TT is right - they're different with different benefits, so do both if at all possible. If not, the Concept II is somewhat similar to cycling in the way it works your legs and cardio, so it's just more of the same thing - you could get a lot of the same benefit on the bike.

-Ray

Ray,
I'm not trying to be a rabid Concept 2-er, but if your core and upper body aren't getting a workout on the erg, then you're not doing it right. The bike hits the lower body and the cardiovascular system. So, it's not the same thing. The rowing stroke has three phases. From the catch (starting position on the erg, or where you would drop the our in the water in the shell), explosive movement with the legs, open the back, finish with the arms/lats. Then reverse: arms, back, legs. So there is overlap, but again, only the lower body and working cardio.

Just pointing out.

also, if you don't dread/hate the erg after a few months, you are not using it properly!

Funny but true. It's a good dread/hate though. But the benefits overshadow those feelings.

William

PS: I won't argue with you on the scenery issue Ray. ;)

Z3c
08-22-2007, 08:27 AM
I have had a Concept II for about 4 years now and love it; it is a totally different workout that I mostly do during the winter. Very time friendly as 30 minutes at a tough pace will wear you out. Provides great aerobic and strength emphasis at the same time.
I bought direct as well, very easy to set-up.

Scott

LegendRider
08-22-2007, 08:31 AM
I vote for the Concept 2. Take an expert rower and an expert pilates-er and put them on a bike (neither with cycling experience) - the rower wins hands down, guaranteed.

Ozz
08-22-2007, 09:05 AM
...I was 225 at the time, down from a high of 240 earlier in the year ...Today, I hit 200, and will reach the 185 mark. ...
:banana: Somewhat Slimmer Sometime Svelte Skinny Simpleton Serotta Sandy :banana:
Thread drift......Sandy you are a big freakin' stud....very inspiring....I luv your motivation. Keep it up!

Nothing to add to the thread other than: Do you have time to do both?

William
08-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Thread drift......Sandy you are a big freakin' stud....very inspiring....I luv your motivation. Keep it up!

Nothing to add to the thread other than: Do you have time to do both?

WOW! I locked onto the C2 vs Pilates and completely missed that. Sorry Sandy. YOU ROCK!!! Keep up the great work my man!

William

zap
08-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Sandy, if you take a Pilates class, you're going to be one of maybe three guys in a class full of girls.

The girls will look like they know what their doing, the guys half your age will look like weak, clumsy dorks. What's the worry.

bostondrunk
08-22-2007, 09:50 AM
What makes the concept rower so great? I see they cost about $1000. What will it do that a $200 rower won't?

William
08-22-2007, 09:55 AM
What makes the concept rower so great? I see they cost about $1000. What will it do that a $200 rower won't?

BD,
Jump on that $200 rower, and then come on down to the gym and I'll put you on the C2 and you can see for yourself. Seriously.

I'll even let you pet Rhea Basset.

William

Sandy
08-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I must say tht you look relaxed and as if you are a professional on that contraption, whatever it is.

Stretching Sandy

benb
08-22-2007, 10:19 AM
The Rowing machine is an awesome indoor cardio workout.

Pilates & Yoga are just the latest trend to take peoples dollars at the health club. Great stuff if you want to spend some money, have some company, and maybe stare at some members of the opposite sex, but hardly necessary just to improve flexbility & core strength.

There is a lot of flexibility and core strength knowledge and guidelines out there that you can pick up without spending much money.

Any book store will have books filled with stretches and core strength exercises that you can use for years for about the same price as 30 minutes of a Pilates class.

Even cycling books like "Cyclists Training Bible" have stretching information.. they are a start, although the bodybuilding/weight training & martial arts books are much better.

All that you really have to do is stretch for 10-15 minutes every day and spend a little time on the core strength exercises. Nothing comes quick but over time you'll notice the difference.

And nothing will increase your climbing like going into the gym over the winter and sweating some blood & tears in the squat rack and the dead lift station. Again the cyclists training bible has a great weight lifting program for cyclists.

Tom
08-22-2007, 10:24 AM
I believe it made a lot of muscle groups that are sort of involved in biking but not directly a lot stronger when I was rowing on one consistently. I do feel that I am not using one these days, I plan to buy one for the house this fall. I also plan to use the thing for the kind of full on blow the doors off pop the eyeballs and burst a gasket workout that you can't do on a bike without killing yourself. The advantage of the erg is that you can just kind of roll off the side and curl up like a fetus.

It's also a lot more convenient that doing Pilates on somebody else's schedule. I don't do well with that kind of thing.

The question of that versus a more inexpensive one? In the first place, unless you're rowing Olympic level you don't have to worry about breaking the thing unless you do something stupid like letting go. It'll last longer than you ever will, you'll never be cursing that the resistance can't be set high enough and the action is way more smooth and real than a cheap one.

Sandy
08-22-2007, 10:29 AM
I believe it made a lot of muscle groups that are sort of involved in biking but not directly a lot stronger when I was rowing on one consistently. I do feel that I am not using one these days, I plan to buy one for the house this fall. I also plan to use the thing for the kind of full on blow the doors off pop the eyeballs and burst a gasket workout that you can't do on a bike without killing yourself. The advantage of the erg is that you can just kind of roll off the side and curl up like a fetus.

It's also a lot more convenient that doing Pilates on somebody else's schedule. I don't do well with that kind of thing.

The question of that versus a more inexpensive one? In the first place, unless you're rowing Olympic level you don't have to worry about breaking the thing unless you do something stupid like letting go. It'll last longer than you ever will, you'll never be cursing that the resistance can't be set high enough and the action is way more smooth and real than a cheap one.

Your description of using the rower as you described in the first paragraph made me laugh....sort of.... :)

Sandy

BigDaddySmooth
08-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Do you really have to ask which is better, Pilates or rowing? Pilates, are you kidding me? ROW! As Tom said, where else can you roll off a machine and curl up like a fetus..sounds like the feeling after just completing a 2000m max effort piece. Can Pilates do that? Didn't think so.

William
08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Do you really have to ask which is better, Pilates or rowing? Pilates, are you kidding me? ROW! As Tom said, where else can you roll off a machine and curl up like a fetus..sounds like the feeling after just completing a 2000m max effort piece. Can Pilates do that? Didn't think so.

Yeah, and don't forget the bucket. :D

William

Ray
08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
The Rowing machine is an awesome indoor cardio workout.

Pilates & Yoga are just the latest trend to take peoples dollars at the health club.

Yer kidding, right? I'm NOT dissing the Concept II - it's a GREAT machine and I've used it a lot over the years - I should do more. But it (and its lesser predecessors) have been around for, what, fifty years tops? Yoga has been around for (help me here Douglas), well over a thousand, thousands? Pilates is a relative newcomer - it was developed roughly 90 years ago. Shares a lot with yoga, but goes in a different direction with a different emphasis - developed for folks stuck in prison, btw.

You can do ANY of this stuff at a health club - currently that's where I use a Concept II. You can do any of it at home. To do yoga or pilates at home cost you very little - a couple of DVDs and preferably a few classes to learn the basics and how not to injure yourself. A concept 2 will cost you about $1,000.

Now, tell which one is the more dollar intensive route to a particular type of workout. I'm not calling the Concept II trendy - its a serious piece of equipment. But it's a young punk of trendy-osity compared to pilates and, particularly, yoga.

-Ray

William
08-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Yer kidding, right? I'm NOT dissing the Concept II - it's a GREAT machine and I've used it a lot over the years - I should do more. But it (and its lesser predecessors) have been around for, what, fifty years tops? Yoga has been around for (help me here Douglas), well over a thousand, thousands? Pilates is a relative newcomer - it was developed roughly 90 years ago. Shares a lot with yoga, but goes in a different direction with a different emphasis - developed for folks stuck in prison, btw.

You can do ANY of this stuff at a health club - currently that's where I use a Concept II. You can do any of it at home. To do yoga or pilates at home cost you very little - a couple of DVDs and preferably a few classes to learn the basics and how not to injure yourself. A concept 2 will cost you about $1,000.

Now, tell which one is the more dollar intensive route to a particular type of workout. I'm not calling the Concept II trendy - its a serious piece of equipment. But it's a young punk of trendy-osity compared to pilates and, particularly, yoga.

-Ray

I wouldn't diss Pilates or yoga. They have their benefits and their place. I wouldn't call the C2 "trendy". It's the culmination of many many attempts over the years to simulate the effort of real rowing. that's been going on since the late 1800's. And it's been the only machine used for collegiate and Olympic rowing programs since the late 80's.

Excellent machine. Yes. Trendy? Naw.

William

Ray
08-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't diss Pilates or yoga. They have their benefits and their place. I wouldn't call the C2 "trendy". It's the culmination of many many attempts over the years to simulate the effort of real rowing. that's been going on since the late 1800's. And it's been the only machine used for collegiate and Olympic rowing programs since the late 80's.

Excellent machine. Yes. Trendy? Naw.

You'll note I wasn't calling it trendy. I was only making the point that calling a practice like yoga that's been around longer than dirt itsownself trendy is preposterous. And that if the other poster was gonna call THAT trendy, the Concept II is even more so. I don't believe either of them are. That's my only point. I really like the Concept II - I've about kilt myself on one a few times and know the workout you can get on it. By defending pilates and yoga in this thread, I seem to give the impression that I'm negative toward the Concept II, but that would be incorrect, sir!

-Ray

Cary Ford
08-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Pilates, if done absolutely properly and consistently, builds CORE STRENGTH like no other exercise/workout I've ever done. And you don't need the machine at all, just learn the mat exercises, which are variations of and closely related to yoga techniques. Get some real instruction so you can learn the proper poses, gain the muscle memory of being in the correct positions, then all you need is time, a floor and a yoga mat.

The only machine you need for cycling is the bike, imo.

MarinRider
08-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Pilates, if done absolutely properly and consistently, builds CORE STRENGTH like no other exercise/workout I've ever done.

Yes. Get 10 hours of private 1 on 1 instruction on a reformer. Properly executed movements are very subtle. Pilates is absolutley the best core workout out there.

Dave B
08-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Sandy these are all wonderful opinions from well informed people. If you want to lose more weight, simply walking will do the trick. Long walks and chainging diet are key. Not going on a diet, simply monitoring what and how much you eat. If you add in any sort of resistance training that will also burn claories for a longer period in the day. Working out before a meal as soon as you get up is another one that makes a huge difference.

Most of this overwieght country (including yours truly) eat like poo. That is 80% of most people's problem. It is worth looking at that first.

You and I have spoken a few times and I have shared with you some of my many demons.

I think yoga not only enhances your physical abilities it also can help your mind and soul. I am sure there a few people who don't need a little help with that as well.

While both of the methods you mentioned have fine aspects to them, you might find a more holistic "health" in one or the other. If you do want the lung busting gut wrenching sweat feast, then yeah go with high energy. If you do not then maybe you can find some avenues that also will do the trick.

You are such an inspiration to others and from our conversatiopns it is apparent you are incredibly humble, find something that you simply love/enjoy doing about these types of exercise and the weight coming off will be a 1-A on the list of priorities.

Determined Devoted Dave

Sandy
08-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Sandy, if you take a Pilates class, you're going to be one of maybe three guys in a class full of girls.

The girls will look like they know what their doing, the guys half your age will look like weak, clumsy dorks. What's the worry.

I will look like an old, weak, clumsy dork?

Old Dork

Dave B
08-22-2007, 01:25 PM

Old Dork

Maybe on day 1, but day 2 is where the fun starts.

Sandy
08-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Maybe on day 1, but day 2 is where the fun starts.

Only if you don't die on day one!! :rolleyes: :)

Stretched Sandy

Dave B
08-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Only if you don't die on day one!! :rolleyes: :)

Stretched Sandy

Yeah I didn't think about that! :beer:

Deceased Dave

Sandy
08-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Yeah I didn't think about that! :beer:

Deceased Dave

Guess you didn't make it to day 2. :rolleyes:

Sorry Sandy

Dave B
08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
I couldn't stop laughing during day one. Too many of my buddies were passing gass, so we never went back! :D

Seriously!

Deflatuated Dave

72gmc
08-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Sandy--I would vote for the rower simply because I can't count on having time at consistent times, and because I think it's a great rower. I am hoping to get one myself.

A tip: sometimes your local competitive rowing club will sell their "older model" used rowers so they can buy the latest. If you don't mind used. Google their forums and message boards.

keno
08-22-2007, 02:45 PM
it reminds me of the old Miller Lite commercials.

The commercial that best applies here is the Nike "Just Do It."

keno

William
08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
it reminds me of the old Miller Lite commercials.

keno

http://imagesource.allposters.com/images/pic/PHOTOFILE/AABF022~Deacon-Jones-Photofile-Posters.jpg

William
08-22-2007, 03:05 PM
You'll note I wasn't calling it trendy. I was only making the point that calling a practice like yoga that's been around longer than dirt itsownself trendy is preposterous. And that if the other poster was gonna call THAT trendy, the Concept II is even more so. I don't believe either of them are. That's my only point. I really like the Concept II - I've about kilt myself on one a few times and know the workout you can get on it. By defending pilates and yoga in this thread, I seem to give the impression that I'm negative toward the Concept II, but that would be incorrect, sir!

-Ray

Point taken sir.

William

zap
08-22-2007, 03:36 PM

Old Dork

No, just old.

Thats the charm.

The girls will help you a lot.

The weak dorks

will have to look

for dates elsewhere.

Sandy
08-22-2007, 09:37 PM
No, just old.

Thats the charm.

The girls will help you a lot.

The weak dorks

will have to look

for dates elsewhere.

Heck with the Concept2 Rower. I am joining 25 Pilate classes tomorrow. :)

Old but very happy,

Smiling Sandy

keno
08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
is that Lou Rawls?

keno

William
08-23-2007, 08:50 AM
is that Lou Rawls?

keno

Not unless his full name is Deacon - Lou Rawls - Jones.

William

William
08-23-2007, 05:14 PM
BD, I'm serious. Open offer to come on down. Beungood will give you a lift if you want. :)

The Gym (http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/showthread.php?t=24384)

William

scrooge
08-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Sandy,
I've never done Pilates, but I did get a rower last winter. As others have said, I have a love/hate relationship with it.
The only thing new I have to add to the discussion is the C2 website. One of the things I like is that there are challenges/competitions you can do online. For someone who needs a little competative prompting (like me), that's a good thing. http://www.concept2.com/us/motivation/challenges/current_ongoing.asp
And by the way, should you get the rower, you could join someone like me for a team "virtual challenge." :cool:

NicaDog
08-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Sandy,
I don't know where you are in Maryland, but if you are anywhere Takoma Park or Columbia - go see Moses Brown. He is by far the best yoga teacher I have ever had, and there have been plenty. One of the things that makes him so effective is that he is a great teacher - he could teach just about anything i beleive. The other is that he looks a lot like a "normal" person, not a very svelte yoga instructor - but don't be fooled he is very very good at yoga.

He is also one of the happiest people I have ever met.

http://www.willowstreetyoga.com/classes/classes_filtered_FA07.php?filter_type=instid&filter_data=5e963f40520000002b9e75a15c420000&left_column_data=Moses%20Brown&photo_url=http://willowstreetyoga.com/images/people/mosesbrown.jpg