PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla

Needs Help
08-22-2007, 04:27 AM
The other thread deteriorated due to the usual suspects.

With all of the possible directions to take my company, this is the one that feels honest.

You'd be surprised at how honest it feels to have a few million in the bank and know that your family's financial future is secure. It's possible to work fewer hours, ride more, spend more time with your family--and still produce quality bikes that your customers rave about. For instance, check out the Serotta bicycle company--at least for the last part. Think of it as a new challenge--growing your business while ensuring a quality product.

Also, if you become a financial success, you can make a real difference in the world. You can build schools in third world countries(read about how Oprah Winfrey felt after doing that) or you can buy low cost drugs that actually save people's lives. How honest would that make you feel? Or, you can buy Porsche's if that's what makes you happy. If filing lugs for the next twenty years is what you really aspire to, then keep on doing what you do. However, the chance to do something beyond that is at hand.

The way I see it, it's a free shot. If building a bigger business doesn't work out, you can always simplify and go back to your roots. Are people not going to buy your bikes anymore because you tried to expand and it didn't work out? I can only hope. Then someday your waiting list will be short enough so that I can order a Vanilla.

Moosedryvr
08-22-2007, 06:05 AM

tch
08-22-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm unclear why so many people feel it necessary to advise others on how to live their lives. Sascha is doing what he wants to do/likes to do and making decisions for himself, the only person who will get to live his life. He doesn't "owe" anyone else anything. Would some of us (for our own selfish reasons) wish he produced more -- yes. We can beg, wheedle, implore, try to bribe him to do what we want....but we don't really have any standing in the matter in the end.

I got a lotta people I'd like to change --- but unfortunately, I'm me, not them.

Fixed
08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
bro sound like the cats got his stuff together
a lot of the bro love his work what more could a cat want ?
cheers

Fixed
08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
cheers

djg
08-22-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm unclear why so many people feel it necessary to advise others on how to live their lives. Sascha is doing what he wants to do/likes to do and making decisions for himself, the only person who will get to live his life. He doesn't "owe" anyone else anything. Would some of us (for our own selfish reasons) wish he produced more -- yes. We can beg, wheedle, implore, try to bribe him to do what we want....but we don't really have any standing in the matter in the end.

I got a lotta people I'd like to change --- but unfortunately, I'm me, not them.

I'd like Porsche to make certain improvements in the 911, and then to figure out a way to get the performance and 40 mpg all at the same time, and I'd like the thing to cost 20k, and there to be no wait list. I'm terribly, terribly hurt that they've not gotten around to this.

So yer dead right. The guy has a craft. It's his call. It's a going concern. He offers a certain deal (which includes a certain timing) and it's so unfortunate that there's a line of people waiting to hand him deposits. He's not asking anybody for favors. Each and every one of us should reconfigure his choices for him ... right after we eradicate cancer, hunger, cell phone usage while driving, and the B. Bonds hr record.

ecl2k
08-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm unclear why so many people feel it necessary to advise others on how to live their lives. Sascha is doing what he wants to do/likes to do and making decisions for himself, the only person who will get to live his life.

I think it's just a motherly desire for sacha to make as much money as possible in as short a time as possible while there is still a high demand. America is a capitalist society, so when someone doesn't play by the rules it doesn't quite make sense and that is going to draw scrutiny.

Reminds me of when Americans go abroad and see everybody taking an afternoon siesta - some find it frustrating and confusing because of the decreased "productivity" and earning potential they see all around them. Compare that to NYC, 24 hour stores, amazon.com.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that he is unamerican and that his shop should be shut down until he decides to play by the rules and outsource his work to china.

Len J
08-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Never mind........

J.Greene
08-22-2007, 10:10 AM
The other thread deteriorated due to the usual suspects.

You'd be surprised out how honest it feels to have a few million in the bank and know that your family's financial future is secure.

1. Has this ever been done if your not one of the big 1 or 2?

2. There are much more important things to pass on than a few million in the bank.

3. I've met Sacha several times and got to spend some time with him at Le Cirque in June. The world needs more people like Sacha, not less. While the rest of us are churning the dollars, helping to increase the GDP, some people are making this a better place to live.

JG

Nick H.
08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm going to build my own frame next month on a course run by this guy www.daveyatescycles.co.uk. I'm going to get my name painted on it as if I'm a big shot framebuilder - and I'm seriously tempted to use the Vanilla font! That's one way to jump the queue. :D

fiamme red
08-22-2007, 10:35 AM
bro sound like the cats got his stuff together
a lot of the bro love his work what more could a cat want ?
cheersCatnip.

http://www.billcasselman.com/catnip_cartoon.jpg

csm
08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
the other thread has taken a life of it's own. some good stuff there but a lot of crap to wade through. there are quite a few "big brother" types on here that think they know better than the individual.

big shanty
08-22-2007, 12:01 PM
"If filing lugs for the next twenty years is what you really aspire to, then keep on doing what you do. However, the chance to do something beyond that is at hand."

It's not one or the other. You can aspire to file lugs for the next 20 years, as well as aspire to explore other things.

People are not banging down Sacha's door because of his ability to offer instant gratificaton nor his "cash in" mentality.

The "purity" quote (that you misinterpret) is actually in reference to hiring employees to do nuts-and-bolts work and free himself up to be more creative.

rphetteplace
08-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Sacha is a genius pure and simple. Visually he pushes boundaries on his bikes and has completely amazing concepts. I have nothing but respect for this man and his bikes.

H.Frank Beshear
08-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Someone resurects a 5 month old thread that died along time ago and the usual suspects ruined it? It was a dead thread how was it ruined? By ressurecting it? Needs help care to explain? I'm curious,since none of the new post were inflamatory. Frank

shinomaster
08-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Did I miss something? Can I get me a speedvagen at Target now?

big shanty
08-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Did I miss something? Can I get me a speedvagen at Target now?

Nope, Steve & Barry's