PDA

View Full Version : Dumonde Tech application

TmcDet
07-03-2004, 08:44 AM
I have been using Dumonde Tech for a while now but I have read several places that most people use too much of the stuff and I am pretty sure that I fit in the most people cat. When I apply it then make one ride the chain turns oily black, which in turn collects dirts etc. I Have read someone that said 4 drops of it would be enough to oil a chain, but don't know how you would ever oil a whole chain with just 4 drops. How are most of you applying Dumonde Tech and is the chain really staying cleaning looking for you?

Michael Katz
07-03-2004, 11:35 AM
I use Dumonde Tech Lite for all of my road bikes. The first time I used it my chain was a mess after my ride. I spoke to the distributor and then refined my application technique. Since then, I have had no problems at all with "gunk" build up, dirt, or any of the messes others have reported. My chains always are dry to the touch and clean looking. Here's what I do.

First, clean the chain 2 times with a chain cleaner and solvent. Thoroughly rinse with water and wipe off and let it dry. Link by link, put 1/2 drop (yeah, I know, what the hell's that mean i.e the smallest amount you can get out of the nozzle) on each link. Do a handful of links in quick succession and then lightly wipe down the stretch you hit with a rag to get off any excess. After doing the entire chain, spin the cranks for a minute and then wipe the chain down again. Then shift to a different chainring and rear cog and wipe the excess off the gears you were in while lubing. After each ride I lightly wipe the chain down to remove anything that may have oozed out and any road grime.

While this sounds like a pain in the ass, it really doesn't take that long. My chains have remained remarkably clean and I only have to do a touch up lube every week and a half to two weeks. I love the stuff.

TmcDet
07-04-2004, 07:37 AM
I cleaned the chain all up and then lightly applied dumonde tech, I had to keep wondering if there was anyway that the chain was getting enough lube. I went for a 12 mile ride on the bike and the chain was clean looking when I got back, there was just a bit of an oily looking film on the roller which wiped off pretty easily. The problem though was that the chain was squeaking some when I got back home. I am thinking that a couple of the links did not get enough lube, so I recleaned the chain and will relube it before I ride today. This time I am going to lube it with better light so that I can see the lube on the links.

awd
09-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Each link does need lube. One drop per link, wipe down and ride. My experience is after the 3rd or 4th application I saw many more miles, 300+. I applied a good drop the first time so enough got to the inside of the chain. After that just as small a drip as I could is all I did. Need to find a needle in order to control how much goes on now.

Don't over apply Dumonde Tech, your wasting it. I have come to understand to re-apply only when the chain starts to make a little noise.

If the chain appears dry, but quiet, Don't put more on. It's the sound that will tell you it needs more lube.

4 drops? How do you spread that over the entire length of the chain?

If it's dirt there is to much lube or they mixed with another lube, period

Too Tall
09-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Cease and desist!!! No more lube threads until AFTER the 1st of the yr.

Kidding.

Wipe your chain with an all cotton rag after your rides and apply the lube with your bike chain shifted to the big ring. The lube will stick to the rings and cogs distributing itself nicely. But 'cha need to get in the habit of wiping down your chain.

Dekonick
09-10-2004, 08:38 PM
take your chain off and put it in a water bottle

fill bottle with 2" or so of degreaser

put lid on bottle

shake bottle

repeat

let it sit overnight

shake

let it sit

remove chain - rinse with hot H2O - dry chain (I use a fan) lay chain flat on rags and apply 1 drop at a time to each link (I use prolink but thinking of trying drummond tech) - let it sit - put back on bike - spin cranks - wipe chain of excess - go ride.

-or- clean chain as above , rinse, dry, put back on bike and use a wet lube.

I do both depending on weather - usually prolink or LPS50. My chains still look a mess after a week or 2, so I clean em every week or so.

am I crazy?

hypnos
09-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Does anyone want 3/4 of a bottle? I have switched to Triflow drops and use a similar application method that you guys are describing above. My chain is clean and produces none of that black yuck.

Michael Katz
09-11-2004, 06:28 AM
Hypnos, I switched to Dumonde Tech Lite because I wanted a lube that wouldn't pick up dirt, was water resistant, and had good duration between applications. How do you think Tri- Flow meets these criteria? I aasumed that because Tri-Flow is a "wet" lube that it would pick up more dirt than Dumonde. I use Tri-Flow on brake and derailleur pivots and it does seem to pick up a good amount of grime even when used sparingly and the excess wiped off.

chuck
09-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Lubes are like saddles, no? Very personal and many of us have tried several brands. I probably have most of the lubes on the market, and I should probably quit experimenting. I do pretty long rides and have found only one that I keep coming back to. Believe it or not, it's Finish Line (with red cap. the green cap - even though it has some super qualities - will collect everything on the road). Before Boston Montreal Boston this year I removed chain and cassette and cleaned the drivetrain pretty well, then applied Finish Line twice, on consecutive days. I got about 570 miles before needing another application, and that included about 150+ very wet miles. In that kind of riding, anything that takes hours to set up cleanly won't reapply in the field without spewing a lot of oily grease. Finish Line is long-lasting if applied with a drop per roller, picks up minimal grud and leaves things running smoothly, and a field application doesn't produce a mess.
Chuck

hypnos
09-11-2004, 01:50 PM
I use less than a drop on each link, then thoughly wipe off any excess with an acetone saturated cloth. The chain stays just as clean, seens to tolerate wet conditions as well as Dumonde, and gets re-lubed every other week (300 miles).

Louis
09-11-2004, 03:54 PM
I was thinking about trying out Dumonde, but this "1/2 a drop on each link" stuff is a joke. No way I'm going to sit there and do that. My hands would cramp up!

I'll stick to ProLink unless someone else mentions a better application method.

Louis

awd
09-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Dekonick - My mech does that with the Dumonde Tech Citrus Degreaser. Says it works fantastic and since it doesn't leave any residue no water is used. Evaporates away and ready to apply lube

Yes half a drop is all that is needed but one drop is what will come out. Just don't have to squeeze the bottle.

I use the "Lite" lube for cable and all the pivots. It works very nice on those areas also. Even a pad lock.

The "black yuck" has never been on my chains. I guess Following the manufactures directions produces the results I was looking for.