PDA

View Full Version : freak isolated incident

ergott
08-21-2007, 12:16 AM
David Millar (Saunier Duval-Prodir) had a disastrous ride during Stage 19 of this year's Tour de France. Almost immediately after catapulting himself down the start ramp, Millar's disc wheel failed catastrophically, but thankfully, the Saunier Duval-Prodir team mechanic was at the ready with a spare bike. Unfortunately, though, that machine suffered the same fate just a few meters up the road, laying waste to Millar's aspiration for a TdF stage win on a course that suited him nearly perfectly.

Millar was using a prototype Carbon Comete rear disc wheel from team sponsor Mavic. As compared to the existing Comete, this new model was said to be substantially lighter, at least partially due to the use of a lighter aluminum rim extrusion. Upon further examination of the race footage, it became obvious that Millar's wheel failure came about as a result of a complete separation of that bonded rim section from the disc on both occasions.

Sean Sullivan, Marketing Director for Mavic Inc., confirmed the failure mode. "David was using a prototype Carbon Comete [that was] much different and lighter than a regular stock version. I'm told the extrusion totally separated from the carbon flanges of the disc wall. At this time it hasn't been determined exactly why it happened, but it was some sort of failure of the bond between the surface of the aluminum extrusion and the inside of the carbon flange."

"While a lightweight prototype, I don't think the occurrence was necessarily from any new technologies that were used," continued Sullivan. "It just appears to be more of a freak isolated incident with the preparation of the surfaces or the bonding process on his particular wheel and not a common failure with our competition prototypes or our production Cometes. Mavic prides itself on the quality and durability of our products and while we like to push the limits of technology for our racers' benefit, we would never put any racer on a wheel that we thought might have a catastrophic failure of this nature and it's horrible that it happened."

Mavic apparently places at least some blame on the initial shock from the starting ramp, but that does little to explain the second failure. According to Sullivan, "This incident happened right out of the start gate after the slight impact from hitting the pavement off the start ramp, which then uncovered the flaw in the bond in this particular wheel. David rode the same wheel with no problems in the Prologue. It's terribly unfortunate for David to have this happen during such a critical stage of the Tour on a day where he was sure to do very well."

It's funny because it happened twice.

:D

Cary Ford
08-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Millar was just riding along.

Bruce K
08-21-2007, 05:15 AM
I'll have to ply Sully with a couple of Stone Cat Ales at one of our local cross races and see if I can pry anything substantial out of him. :rolleyes: ;) :D

I'd hate to have to be in his position trying to spin that one.

BK

Sandy
08-21-2007, 05:23 AM
I was born and eveyone said that was a "freak isolated incident". When Kevan was born, everone also said that was a "freak isolated incident". Then we became friends, and starting posting on the Serotta Forum. Now most relalize that we are here to somehow destroy or take over the world, one message board at a time....... :rolleyes: :)

:banana: Stable Sandy :banana:

Too Tall
08-21-2007, 05:48 AM
Right Snandy but it didn't happen twice ;)

Gee, I've got a Russian Disk that uses a tensioned kevlar surface and Titanium rim...it must be 20 yrs. old....just sayin'. Thanks Eric, I'll stick with recycled farm equipment for the time being.

stevep
08-21-2007, 06:58 AM
ah,
who remembers the year when 7 look prototype tt bikes broke during the prolog and the first long tt? most broke right in the start gate.

a little too light for the tour maybe?

a lot of times this stuff is just too close to the edge.

e-RICHIE
08-21-2007, 07:05 AM
ah,
who remembers the year when 7 look prototype tt bikes broke during the prolog and the first long tt? most broke right in the start gate.

hey pooch tell us about eugene christophe fixing the broken fork atmo.
did you have your camera?

sspielman
08-21-2007, 07:15 AM
"....Uhhhh I didn't know that the epoxy was supposed to have TWO parts?..You mean there is both a resin AND a hardener?...."

OldDog
08-21-2007, 07:41 AM
I was demo'ing a set of Spinergy glued carbone wheels back in, I dunno, early 90's, that came undone. That was not pretty. Put a wobble in my wiggle.

e-RICHIE
08-21-2007, 07:43 AM
I was demo'ing a set of Spinergy glued carbone wheels back in, I dunno, early 90's, that came undone. That was not pretty. Put a wobble in my wiggle.
i came undone when i realized stevep had
twins on his best-ever junior team atmo.

OldDog
08-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Twins, or clones?

Steelhead
08-21-2007, 07:53 AM
From Velonews dot com this AM:

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/13136.0.html

e-RICHIE
08-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Twins, or clones?
here's the complete story about stevep's great teams atmo -

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n0/n809.jpg

stevep
08-21-2007, 07:56 AM
hey pooch tell us about eugene christophe fixing the broken fork atmo.
did you have your camera?

tough day for me.
i had the digital but the chip hadnt been invented yet so i came up blank.
very frustrating.
every time i clicked a photo of christophe a photo of shino making mugs came up...was ghostly man.
the mugs are nice though.

ergott
08-21-2007, 08:30 AM
ah,

I think I remember them claiming that each one was an "isolated" incident;-)