PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Freehub

TAW
08-20-2007, 12:27 PM
I have a Mavic Ksyrium freehub that doesn't freewheel easily. I have taken it apart, used thin grease, thin lube, thicker lube, and tried them dry. Typically, the thin lube works best and makes it smooth again, but this lasts only for a short period. Is there a better way? Do I just need to replace the freehub? Thanks for any help/enlightenment.

coylifut
08-20-2007, 01:49 PM
a good lbs should be able to completely rebuild that free hub for far less $ than a new one. i know this isn't available to everyone, but i usally find the mavic neutral service tent at a big race, hand 'em my wheel and 20 minutes later my free hub is as good as new. no questions asked.

TAW
08-20-2007, 03:39 PM
I took it to a shop, and they overhauled it, and it did the same thing, worked fine for a few rides, then back to normal. That's when I decided that I could do this myself, which I did. Same result. When there's fresh, thin lube in it, it works fine for a little while, nice, smooth and free. I was hoping not to keep having to disassemble and lube it so often, but maybe this is the only option. I was just wondering if a new freehub would be the answer.

Thanks

Tom Kellogg
08-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Get in toouch with Mavic Customer Suppport. It is most likely that the lube you are using is the issue. That off-white plastic stuff inside the cassette body is designed to work with only certain lubes. Teflon lubes will ruin the stuff by loading it up. If the surface of the hub body that slides inside that plastic stuff is at all scored, you will have issues as well.

TomP
08-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi,

I have rebuilt many. Take apart and clean thoroughly. Lube only with a small amount of mineral oil. Also, to keep it running well, there is a pawl and seal upgrade kit available from superflycycles.com.

Tom

TAW
08-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I suspected that it might be the type of lube that I'm using, so I'll try these suggestions. They make sense to me since it seems that the cassette body gets "gummed up" and doesn't spin easily after a few days. I appreciate your help.