PDA

View Full Version : OT: Espresso Martini's

William
08-20-2007, 05:04 AM
What sort of depraved, sick, demented, masochistic person would invent a drink that works to calm you down...and buzz you up at the same time???? I mean, down a couple of these later in the evening and you're going to be awake half the night. :crap: Hmmm, nothing on but Home Shopping Network?

1 1/2oz Absolut Vanilla Vodka
1 1/2oz Khaluah
1oz Bailey's Irish Cream
1oz Fresh Espresso

Put all the ingredients into a shaker with ice. Shake for 45 seconds, and pour into a glass straining out the ice. It should have a nice layer of creama just like a good espresso.

I need to find out who invented this and slap them around for an hour or two.... ;)

William

Ozz
08-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Who the heck would drink that mess???

deconstruct it....
substitute 3 shots of ketel one for the sissy vodka, kahlua, and irish cream...
chase with espresso....

then you might be on to something.

See you in Portland. :beer:

Steve Hampsten
08-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Speaking of girl drinks, I tried a Green Apple Lambic last night at my favorite watering hole. It tasted like a beer designed for high school cheerleaders.

I stuck with my usual Rogue Brutal Bitter.

bostondrunk
08-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Who the heck would drink that mess???

deconstruct it....
substitute 3 shots of ketel one for the sissy vodka, kahlua, and irish cream...
chase with espresso....

then you might be on to something.

See you in Portland. :beer:

Mmmm...Ketel One...mmmm

Don't be too hard on Willy, he's only had Shirley Temples so far, so this is a good step forward... ;)

Too Tall
08-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd like to notify your next of kin now :rolleyes:

Easy big fella, they didn't know you didn't drink that swill just horrified that someone had done something bad name to good drink ;)

Bart001
08-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Give that same yin/yang kinda thing, I suppose.

I deconstruct even Irish coffee.

Irish whiskey - check.
Coffee - check.
Whiskey in coffee - why ruin perfectly good whiskey?

Ginger
08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Speaking of girl drinks, I tried a Green Apple Lambic last night at my favorite watering hole. It tasted like a beer designed for high school cheerleaders.

So...you're hanging out with high school cheerleaders these days? ;)

William. THAT is not a martini. It's a cocktail yes, but not a martini.
They just call it a martini so they can put it in a fancy glass, charge $10, and guys can drink frou frou drinks and still call them a manly drink name.

Gin and dry vermouth = martini
I'll allow that a vodka martini can be called a martini too...but that's just 'cause I can't drink gin.
But I'd rather just skip that whole mess and order a vodka gimlet. Mojitos Caipirinhas (yum) or a simple, traditional lime Daiquiri (not that frozen ick)

jeffg
08-20-2007, 01:36 PM

Calling that a girl drink is an insult to both girls and drinks ...

davids
08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I had a bottle of this (http://www.meantimebrewing.com/coffee.html) a few days ago, around dinnertime.

It was surprisingly good. Really, really good. I don't recall much of a buzz, one way or the other.

big shanty
08-20-2007, 04:48 PM

My girlfriend and I were out at the Issaquah Brewhouse last week, and after a couple of Brewer Ales we split one of those Lindeman's Apple Lambics as 'dessert'. I believe I likened it to "being suffocated with an apple."

Too Tall
08-20-2007, 07:10 PM
FWIIW I can't hold a candle to the martini honchos here however I did pick up a clue sometime back when we had a sim. thread and now I keep the vodka upstairs and mailed my bottle of vermoth to my brother in Cali. This are better now ;)

Bud
08-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Vodka martini for me- none of this froofy stuff. Good vodka (Grey Goose, Absolut, etc) and just wave the vermouth near it- don't pour any in (well, maybe a tad bit)- and shake the hell out of it on lots of ice...

Although my wife sure loves a lemontini (made with lemoncello, our course)

Moosedryvr
08-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Ouch! Dude, you're killing me! I was drinking a very nice peach Lambic the other night, the perfect summer beer IMO. Needless to say I was catching all kinds of sheeite from the buds, and now this. I thought Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill and Bartles and James were for high school cheerleaders?

Thank you for your support...

Shawn G

Bart001
08-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes or no?

discuss

or not

Bud
08-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Yes or no?

discuss

or not

No. Definitely not. I like bleu cheese, and I like olives, but not together in my martini...

jel
08-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Very similar to one I had recently:

Vodka (my fav is Hangar 1)
freshly brewed espresso
Bailey’s
Kahlua
Godiva Chocolate Liqueur

Float a couple/three espresso beans and serve. :hello:

Steve Hampsten
08-20-2007, 09:31 PM
"I like eggs but I don't like egg salad - isn't that weird?" (http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007/08/bsnyc-2008-dream-bike-shootout.html)

Ginger
08-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Yes or no?

discuss

or not

It's a martini, not antipasto.

Absolut is a good neutral mixer vodka...not something I'd bother drinking straight. And I'm suspicious of any vodka that can give me a headache.
Of course...all I can drink are potato vodkas now...and those are either very very good, or worse than Absolut

William
08-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Mmmm...Ketel One...mmmm

Don't be too hard on Willy, he's only had Shirley Temples so far, so this is a good step forward... ;)

Actually, I was just shocked that Roy would try making such a drink. :eek:

Oh alright. I can admit that I thought it was good. I'm secure in my manhood and I can admit such a thing in a public forum.

I AM WILLIAM AND I LIKED THIS FU FU DRINK. Now, where did I leave my purse????

;) :D ;) :D

William

PS: Now pass me the Everclear....

Too Tall
08-21-2007, 05:54 AM
BIGWILLY - QUICK MAN, recite the batting order of the 1936 New York Yankees, scratch something private and curse the weather....for your own good :) Krikey, at your size I reckon you can sit where you want to sit, drink everyone's drink and still get free chips. hehe.

Blue Cheese Olives - def. not in the glass. Now a Habanero stuffed olive on the side...mmmmmm habenaros :)

BURCH
08-21-2007, 07:57 AM
My father got me hooked on Manhattans once i turned 21 (usually with Crown Royal)

A Friend has recently turned me onto Dirty Martinis. Never had a taste for Vodka before, but now I sometimes crave a good dirty Martini. Tried the Blue Cheese Olive thing once, but it was a little too much for me.

Living in KY, you usually just have to get the bourbon. Neat if you can handle though I usually go with it on the rocks. Love Basil Hayden or Four Roses.

Tom
08-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I don't know what's in it or why it's called a martini nor what it says about my wife that she likes them... but she does.

Four Roses, eh? My 90+ year old neighbor got me into bourbon a few years ago and we returned the favor when we discovered small batch. I can;t remember too well, but I think I found B.H. a little 'hot', almost peppery. I like them a little smoother than that. I may have no taste, but I kind of like Snob Creek.

BURCH
08-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Four Roses, eh? My 90+ year old neighbor got me into bourbon a few years ago and we returned the favor when we discovered small batch. I can;t remember too well, but I think I found B.H. a little 'hot', almost peppery. I like them a little smoother than that. I may have no taste, but I kind of like Snob Creek.

Tom, that is interesting about Basil. Jim Beam also makes a bourbon called Booker's that I find really hot like you describe. Booker's reminds me of what whiskey/bourbon would have been at the bar in the wild west. It is pretty potent. I will have to think about your comments the next time I sip some Basil.

When we moved down here to Louisville, we were surprised to find that people would ask us what our house Bourbon was. Most people here have either Maker's Mark or Woodford on hand all the time in their house. Both are fine bourbons. And Knob Creek is well liked by many. I was on a Blanton's kick for a while but that got to be pretty expensive.

Tom
08-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I think Booker's is what I remembered.

William
08-21-2007, 09:20 AM
...Jim Beam also makes a bourbon called Booker's ....

Does Jim Beam make a Blue Label offering?

A number of years ago I was with a friend visiting his 90+ year old grandpa in the backwoods of Exeter. We were sitting on the porch having a few beers and getting pretty lively. Then he pulled out an old, and I mean old bottle of Jim Beam that looked like it had a blue label (maybe faded...or my vision was getting cloudy). The stuff was good and knocked us on our keesters...much to the amusement of old grand dad. Heck, for all I know it could have been some sort of swamp Yankee moonshine he brewed up in the back 40. All I seem to remember of that evening was the Blue Label and his chuckling granddad.

RIP.(My friend and his Granddad)

William

Archibald
08-21-2007, 09:40 AM
There can be only one....

http://duoteam.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/stranahans.gif
http://www.angelic.org/highlander/swd/hl1-kurgan-sword.jpg

BURCH
08-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Does Jim Beam make a Blue Label offering?

William

Not that I have seen. I go down to the distillery a bunch. Everybody that comes down to visit us wants to see a distillery and Jim Beam is only 25 minutes away. I have not seen or heard of a blue label, but I will be down there again soon I am sure and will ask for you.

Aside from Black label and the standard Jim Beam everyone knows, JB distills Basil Hayden, Booker's, Baker's, and Knob Creek (http://www.smallbatch.com/).

If I see anything Blue, I will let you know.

Ozz
08-21-2007, 10:53 AM
...If I see anything Blue, I will let you know.
Johnnie Walker makes a blue label (scotch).....

Regarding Bouboun: Makers Mark neat.....Wild Turkey in a mint julep!

...My father got me hooked on Manhattans once i turned 21 (usually with Crown Royal).

My grandmother drank Manhattan's (Old Crow)....one of my memories of her was mixing her drink for her when she came over for Sunday dinner. She would play cards with my Mom and sisters...and scold them out for cheating and talking too much....she died last Friday (97 years old).

Too Tall
08-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Tom, that is interesting about Basil. Jim Beam also makes a bourbon called Booker's that I find really hot like you describe. Booker's reminds me of what whiskey/bourbon would have been at the bar in the wild west. It is pretty potent. I will have to think about your comments the next time I sip some Basil.

When we moved down here to Louisville, we were surprised to find that people would ask us what our house Bourbon was. Most people here have either Maker's Mark or Woodford on hand all the time in their house. Both are fine bourbons. And Knob Creek is well liked by many. I was on a Blanton's kick for a while but that got to be pretty expensive.

Washington DC used to be the same...just sub. scotch. Than things got a little whacky in the 90's ;) Glenlivet was pretty much std.

davids
08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Coffee in a Martini? Foo Foo.

But coffee and beer? Boo-yah!

http://www.meantimebrewing.com/images/products/coffee330sp.jpg

jeffg
08-21-2007, 01:15 PM
made by my grandfather the way he used to make them when the liquor was hidden in the garage during prohibition. Priceless. I had my final one of these last year before he passed away. Someone will have to take up the mantle this holiday season ... His Manhattans kicked a$$, too. I better get practicing :beer:

gt6267a
08-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Not that I have seen. I go down to the distillery a bunch. Everybody that comes down to visit us wants to see a distillery and Jim Beam is only 25 minutes away. I have not seen or heard of a blue label, but I will be down there again soon I am sure and will ask for you.

Aside from Black label and the standard Jim Beam everyone knows, JB distills Basil Hayden, Booker's, Baker's, and Knob Creek (http://www.smallbatch.com/).

If I see anything Blue, I will let you know.

i have had the basil h, knob c, and bookers. how does the bakers compare?

BURCH
08-21-2007, 01:34 PM
i have had the basil h, knob c, and bookers. how does the bakers compare?

I tasted Basil and Bakers together at the distillery about a year. I know that I preferred basil during that tasting and it was the fist time that I had either. I have stuck with Basil ever since. Unfortunately, I can't really remember the exact disctinctions of Bakers. That probable doesn't help much...but

From the JB website about Bakers
Named after Baker Beam, grand nephew of the legendary Jim Beam, Baker’s Bourbon is seven-years-old and hand-bottled at 107 proof. Embracing over six generations of distilling experience, Baker's Bourbon utilizes a special strain of jug yeast that has been in his family for over 60 years. This time tested yeast provides Baker's with a silky smooth texture and consistent taste from batch to batch.

Baker’s is a remarkably smooth bourbon. Intensely flavorful, full-bodied and ideally balanced, it is preferred by Cognac aficionados, making for an excellent after dinner drink.

bozman
08-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Of course...all I can drink are potato vodkas now...

Ginger - Which ones do you recommend?

As for the bourbons, Buffalo Trace is another goody.

+1 on the Stranahans, Archibald. I had some of that a few months ago and it is amazing.

Not sure about the espresso martini. I think you drink the booze the night before and the espresso the next morning.

Too Tall
08-21-2007, 03:39 PM
JeffG - to the bes of your ability tell me the whiskey sour recipe puhlease? My granny was a fiend for them. Yikes, I can still hear her gravel voice and clinking ice cubes.