PDA

View Full Version : OT: Custom Tailored Dress Shirts

tmanley
08-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I've got some unique needs for my dress shirts (16.5" neck, 38" sleeve length). Does anybody have a recommendation for where to get custom dress shirts made?

-Thanks, Todd

rwsaunders
08-20-2007, 12:14 AM
www.paulfrederick.com

alancw3
08-20-2007, 02:30 AM
twenty years ago when i lived in the philadelphia area i use to get shirts from "the custom shirt co.". i do not know if they are still in business. their shirts were good quality and very affordable at the time. like $30 apiece.

Bittersweet
08-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Depends how much you want to pay, the quality you are looking for and how custom you want it. Land's End sells nice inexpensive custom shirts and you can keep sending them back and forth to get them just right. This is what I wear for everyday work shirts. You don't feel terrible if they get an ink stain or something else on them. They are custom but only to a point. You can't order collar heights or have two different cuff sizes to accomodate a large watch on one wrist for instance but the cost and speed of delivery makes up for much of this. They have a money back guarantee if you don't like them. The Custom Shop makes nice shirts. More money and if they don't come back the way you were expecting it is your fault. I had a terrible blow up with them on one set in the '90s. From there the sky is the limit on shirts and the cost follows. A trip down Jermyn Street in London may be in your future.

1centaur
08-20-2007, 05:03 AM
The Custom Shop went through bankruptcy and is now a different organization done mostly as mail order.

I have used and liked www.mytailor.com, using the method where I measure an already perfect shirt for them to copy but there are other ways to get it done. I like that I can specify collar height, no pockets, different cuff sizes and enough taper so my cyclist's body does not look tented, among other features. Some custom shirt folks (Brooks Brothers among others) really don't let you specify collar height to the 1/8th inch and charge a LOT more. Get your size right with the Hong Kong folks just once and you are set for life. At their prices vs. what you'd pay locally, it's worth a mistake or two, though if you are careful you probably won't make a mistake. If you go local, your measurements will be right for sure, but the shirt might cost 2x to 3x. I have done both ways.

Giff
08-20-2007, 08:20 AM
If you're in the Atlanta area, I know a guy who specializes in that as a side business. He might even do mail order. Small time guy, but the products he carries are top notch!

Let me know if you're interested.

Giff

Kevan
08-20-2007, 08:47 AM
A 37" here. Were you on the receiving end of gibbon jokes too?

I used to visit the Custom Shirt Co. in NYC until I went business-casual.

jbrainin
08-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Also, try any of the better department stores: Neiman Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom's, etc. They usually have a large selection of swatches of available fabrics for a customer to choose from.

Steelhead
08-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Is Tom James Co. still in business? If there is a Tom James rep in your area he will come to you. I would also recommend a free standing men's specialty store selling the nicer goods. If you see a mens store carrying lines like Oxxford, Canali, Brioni, Hickey Freeman, etc... they will have multiple options for custom/bespoke dress shirts.

Kinda like custom bikes, the fit will be superior and they are usually better made and will last longer. For everyday work shirts I like Lands End and Jos A. Bank.

Bobbo
08-20-2007, 10:39 AM
I would also recommend a good retailer in your area. If they're selling $3000 suits, they definitely have a good custom shirt provider. I'm still wearing my 10 y.o. custom shirts from Mitchell's in Westport, CT (though they are getting a tad threadbare in spots). Be prepared to spend for fit and quality, but it's worth it.

FlaRider
08-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Ascot Chang and Turnbull & Asser, both in New York, make exquisite custom dress shirts. Very pricey, but exquisite.

vaxn8r
08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Brooks bros does it for $120-170 per shirt or so.

pdonk
08-20-2007, 03:17 PM
If you need 8 shirts and have an extra $6000 floating around, you may want to check this guy out:

http://www.customshirt1.com/ASK/oldworldbro.htm

Ouch and just kidding.

JMerring
08-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Seize sur Vingt (www.16sur20.com) - great store in NYC that does custom and ships all over.

Archibald
08-20-2007, 04:53 PM
I get my shirts off the rack. Custom is over rated!

http://www.dayoopers.com/images/bgut9.jpg