PDA

View Full Version : Ride Reviews for IF Steel Forks?

Cat Craig
08-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Hello -

I am investigating IF and Waterford for a future purchase - likely a club racer. Both seem to be great companies with strong reputations. It may come down to fork choices for me.

Waterford forks have great reputations for their investment cast forks. As best I can tell the IF steel forks are unicrowns. To be honest, it's been a long time since I was on a steel fork (other than an old Marin hybrid grocery getter). My road and cross bike have carbon forks.

Can people with experience on IF steel forks comment about ride quality? I have read in a few places that unicrowns may not ride as smoothly as investment cast forks. Would this be something your average rider would notice?

My application would be mostly on road with the occasional dirt/gravel road thrown in. Nothing more rough or technical than that. I weight 190 and will be running everything from 23mm to 32mm depending on conditions etc.

Thanks!

cpg
08-19-2007, 04:05 PM
I don't mean to be a smart arse but... how can anyone give a review of how a fork rides? I don't mean that the fact is that you ride a bike not a fork. What I mean is who rides two identical bikes with two different forks to compare and contrast? Don't worry about it. Get the bike. You won't be disappointed. Besides your only good choice in the case of this type of bike is a steel fork. Most of the carbon cross forks would be suboptimal for the bike you've outlined.

Curt

paczki
08-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I have an IF with a straight steel fork. It is a bit jarring on the bumps, more than a bit, but it tracks beautifully on the IF frame. I've thought about swapping it out, but I fear I'll lose what I love about the IF, how well-balanced it is.

Cat Craig
08-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Good point Curt. I should have made my question more clear. I'm more interested in comparing the unicrown versus investment cast/lugged (not sure of the correct terminology) design. I've read in more than one place that unicrown's have a reputation for riding more harshly and were designed more with mountain bikes and hybrids in mind. Having never unicrown on a road bike, I wanted to see if people felt this was urban myth or an arguable point. I should try to edit my original post.

You're right - I would be happy with either bike. But it's still a choice and I'm trying to come up with my own calculus about what is most important and appealing to me. I see the bikes as having somewhat distinct personalities and I plan on having it for a long time.

Cheers,

CP

michael white
08-19-2007, 05:12 PM

Peter P.
08-19-2007, 05:12 PM
I've got an IF No-Travel fork on my geared mountain bike. Regardless of whether I have 2" tires at 35psi. or 1.25" tires pumped to 70 psi., I can't find any fault with the fork. I can see it flex over bumps like it should but it doesn't sag or feel wimpy when I corner or brake. No complaints whatsoever. By the way, I weigh 130lbs.

cpg
08-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Good point Curt. I should have made my question more clear. I'm more interested in comparing the unicrown versus investment cast/lugged (not sure of the correct terminology) design. I've read in more than one place that unicrown's have a reputation for riding more harshly and were designed more with mountain bikes and hybrids in mind. Having never unicrown on a road bike, I wanted to see if people felt this was urban myth or an arguable point. I should try to edit my original post.

You're right - I would be happy with either bike. But it's still a choice and I'm trying to come up with my own calculus about what is most important and appealing to me. I see the bikes as having somewhat distinct personalities and I plan on having it for a long time.

Cheers,

CP

Ah. In that case go for the crown. Practically any crown looks better than a unicrown atmo. No difference in ride. Aesthetics matter.

Curt

vaxn8r
08-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Curt, I agree aesthetics do matter. I guess I haven't seen a ton of crowned forks on tig'd bikes. What's your opinion on that aesthetic?

cpg
08-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Curt, I agree aesthetics do matter. I guess I haven't seen a ton of crowned forks on tig'd bikes. What's your opinion on that aesthetic?

I think crowns look better even with tig'd frames.

Curt

samcat
08-20-2007, 06:32 AM
She loves it. Rides wonderfully. Good folks to work with.

Well made, beautiful welds, great paint and finish. Fattish unicrown fork looks like it belongs w/the bike. Better finish than a Waterford, by far, at least to my eyes.

FWIW, I think that a flat crown would look out of place on a tigged bike. If a flat crown is a must, get a lugged bike. Matching collar and cuffs is important, at least in the case of bikes, IMHO

PH