PDA

View Full Version : Shoe advice

jeffg
08-18-2007, 05:09 PM
This year I have been plagued by foot pains on long rides. I used to have orthodics made out in Marin County (Doug Ehrenberg). They worked well for a few years but were never ideal. When they started to fall apart I went for D2 custom shoes, which have honestly been a disaster thus far. I am the only person I see taking my shoes off between rest stops on double centuries. I have already sent them back once to be stretched out but at this point I am at a loss. I suppose I could go to CO and see if they can work anything out for me (I used their fit kit where you provide measurements and a half-weighted mold/impression of your feet).

At this point I am thinking of writing off ultra distance rides until I get this worked out. Losing 30-45 minutes on a DC (at least) and having your feet hurt all day just sucks.

Desperate for a soluton,

Jeff

Bill Bove
08-18-2007, 05:36 PM
D2 does seem to make their shoes on the small side. You are not the first person who I have heard of to have problems with their new shoes. Most of them have had good luck eventually getting them right. Keep pestering them.

Dekonick
08-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Took me 3 times to get my first pair of D2 shoes right - but they are really nice now. They were a little tight the first 2 times. I assume it is cuz of the fit kit. Given the chance, going to Colorado and getting fit there would be the ideal solution.

My D2 shoes are 100 times better than any off the shelf shoes I have owned.

Sam in VA
08-19-2007, 06:27 AM
I had a pain in my arch, right behind my foot, that only showed up while riding. I tried different shoes, pedals, etc. Time (old style) pedals helped. I finally went to the Doc and got him to refer me to a cycling buddy who is also a poditriast (sp?). After trying a few things, including a shot of cortizone to the arch (ouch!), I ended up with custom orthotics (paid for by insurance!).

That did the truck. Its been ~5 years. I get an occasional pain, but it always goes away in a mile or so. You might want to consider a Doctor.

shanerpvt
08-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Does anyone know how the D2s compare to the Rocket 7s? Either way - thats alot of loot for shoes.

Dekonick
08-19-2007, 03:45 PM
not if you have odd shaped feet

scottie
08-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Hey Guys,
I have no idea what the D2's are like, but I did pick up a pair of rocket 7 for a steal (standard size) and they are absolutely amazing. I snapped the sole at some stage, sent them back to them and I have a brand new pair now. Great customer service, fantastic shoes!!!!
Thanks,
Scottie.

stevep
08-19-2007, 08:21 PM
get sidis and dont get them too small.

niiice.

Simon Q
08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey Guys,
I have no idea what the D2's are like, but I did pick up a pair of rocket 7 for a steal (standard size) and they are absolutely amazing. I snapped the sole at some stage, sent them back to them and I have a brand new pair now. Great customer service, fantastic shoes!!!!
Thanks,
Scottie.

Went back and forth with R7's a few times and in the end no joy - cleat holes wrong, too loose then too tight, then...now just sitting in a box. I know that most people love them though. Size 49 Sidis with a custom orthotic fit me like a glove, never going back.