PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Ride Today

Sandy
08-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I went on a 43 mile club ride today. It was very enjoyable:

I saw in the parking lot at the start of the ride, a woman, who I have shared rides with in the past. Smiley had fit her for a bike. She just picked it up on Thursday. A BEAUTIFUL arctic blue (one color) CDA- The seat stays were not painted nor was the F3 fork. Centaur components, sloping top tube, silver/grey tape, and wheels built by Jeremy. It was really gorgeous- elegant with a very balanced look. She was apprehensive as this was the first ride whe was doing on the bike.

The group started out and I was riding some who with 2 women that I know, who were cycling together,when the aforemtioned cyclist sped on by. I caught her and started to ride with her. It wasn't too long before she said that she should have gotten the bike sooner as it was so much smother and lighter than her older steel bike she was riding. Anyway, I rode with her for about 25 miles until the first rest stop- She looked very comfortable on the bike and seemed to accelerate on it quicker than I remember her doing so on her old bike. She descended well and seemed to be quite happy with it.

I had ridden a little with her a couple of months ago, until she dropped me (like everyone else) on the hills. Today was different. I have lost a considerable amount of weight, have been cycling more and am more focused. She could not drop me at all, so I feel that I have improved some.

After stopping at the rest stop, I told her to go finish the ride with others there who were going to join us, as I did not want to push too hard and get too tired. Anyway, I did the rest of the ride with 6 younger women that I know and it was really a lot of fun. They are slower than the woman I rode with up to the rest stop, but they were a great deal of fun to be with. We stopped in about 4-5 miles as some of them had to use the restroom, and then in another 5 miles at an soft ice cream stand. The ride leader, one of the women, asked me if I was enjoying the ride, and I said yes, as I enjoy rides with nice people who look out for other riders, which all the cyclists were doing (they are a close group).

So why did I like the ride so much?

1. Got to see a gorgeous new Serotta CDA and rode with the lady who owns it. Got an excellent workout, staying with her, and not getting dropped in the climbs.

2. Felt that I am significantly improved from a few months ago.

3. Enjoyed very much riding with the slower group after the rest stop, as they were just having fun, still getting a good workout, and looked out for each other.

I had the best of all worlds (at least to me)- ride my bike, go at a decent speed and effort for part of the ride, and slow down and simply relax and share the ride with others whose ideas of cycling fun are consistent with mine.

Great weather and great ride!! :)

:) Smiling Serotta Sandy :)

stevep
08-18-2007, 05:17 PM
nice day.
you had a good ride and ended up riding w/ 6 nice women.
how bad could it be!
good job..back in action

Len J
08-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Way to go.

Happy for ya.

len

Bill Bove
08-18-2007, 05:31 PM
That's the wave that made sitting in the water all day worth it.

I had a good ride too. The usual Saturday morning ride, the one you do to get ready for the world championships. We had a larger than normal group today, about 80. Started out fast and just got faster. I tried moving up in the group about 20 miles into the ride but couldn't get around so many people. Looked at my computer and it was showing 30+ and I couldn't move up. Made the turn around and got closer to the front and the skies opened up. Hard rain that made noise on your helmet but the pace didn't drop a bit. I was glad when the rain stopped a couple of miles down the road. I decided not to take part inthe final sprint since there were so many people there but the split happened right in front of me so I had to go with them. what the heck, when someone offers you a donut you don't say no. so I had a good fast ride and ended the week at just under 400 miles, 398.8 or something. I'll take it.

Fixed
08-18-2007, 05:47 PM
sounds like a great week bill go bro
cheers

Ginger
08-18-2007, 06:19 PM
nice day.
you had a good ride and ended up riding w/ 6 nice women.
how bad could it be!
good job..back in action

He doesn't let on...but Sandy is quite the chick magnet.

barry1021
08-18-2007, 06:28 PM

like he is back in the saddle big time again. I know from experience there is nothing like losing weight to make riding better!! Congrats Sandy

B21

Fixed
08-18-2007, 06:32 PM
bro rode china red about 40 this am then goofed around with miele went out in my sachs shirt and my cargo shorts and vans a dave kirk hat man it's so much fun to just ride around without having the feeling of exercise just joy .
cheers :beer:

Sandy
08-18-2007, 07:00 PM

Right! :) North with North or South with South. I just can't get the South with the North! :rolleyes:

Sandy

Your_Friend!
08-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Sandy!

I Am So Happy

That You Had A Great Ride!

Love,
Your_Friend!

93legendti
08-18-2007, 07:13 PM

We have a rider like that in our group. Stud Muffin is his nickname.

Sandy: Good for you!

Bill Bove: "That's the wave that made sitting in the water all day worth it."

I Like that saying. I am going to quote you often.

ti_boi
08-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Tommorow is my day!!! I was with the little one while the wife rested up today (has a cold ) -- Just got the Legend back from an amazing shop where they tuned it -- tightened up the thing --- and since no one seemed to want it, I mounted the new VDO computer that I tried to sell. I am super stoked....we are at 70 degrees here -- very very nice. :cool:

Karin Kirk
08-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Congrats Sandy!
Sounds like a lovely ride and great company, good for you to have worked hard and accomplished an important goal. Thanks for sharing the news with your fan club here.

Bill - you are braver than I. That sounds like one tough ride, with rain and everything else. Good for you! 400 miles this week? Ooof, that's a lot - nice going.

ti_boi
08-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Awesome about the ride -- Sandy -- ti_boi rides alone........... ;)

chuckroast
08-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Sandy, you are a major dude. Whne people ask my why I like to ride, all I can come up with is "It's fun". You however, are able to descibe the enjoyment and good times. Thanks for sharing.

Ahneida Ride
08-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Go Sandy Go !!!!!!

Ken Robb
08-18-2007, 10:00 PM
what could be better for old geezers like us than riding with young women? :beer:

Fixed
08-18-2007, 10:16 PM
bro we get old and can't ride with the young cats any more
we get stuck with the woman
the bad thing is i can never understand what young girls are talkin about
cheers

rwsaunders
08-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Sounds like you were on the "Harem 50" ride today.

Ken Robb
08-19-2007, 12:25 PM
bro we get old and can't ride with the young cats any more
we get stuck with the woman
the bad thing is i can never understand what young girls are talkin about
cheers
Well Butch, if you can still hear them you must be younger than I. :rolleyes:

Keith A
08-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Sandy -- I'm so glad to see you enjoying cycling again! Thanks for the ride report and keep on pedaling.

Sandy
08-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks very much for the very kind comments. I genuinely appreciate them.

Sandy

jeffg
08-20-2007, 05:02 PM
I was riding yesterday thinking you would have loved the loop out to the coast over the Santa Cruz Mountains I did yesterday.

Standing no drop invitation,

Jeff

Too Tall
08-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Splendiferous Sandy :) Are you planning on riding the Seagull Century?

Sandy
08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I have only ridden 2 centuries, if my old codger memory is working. Years back, I rode witha group on the W@OD trail, up and back. That was 90 miles. So when I got back home, I rode 10 miles in my neighborhood to complete the century. I rode another century a few years ago, which was made up of a couple of club rides, a ride with Spedtrum Bob's wife, plus some more riding in the park and back home to finish a century.

I have never done an organized century. I would like to but I don't know if I would have the energy for it. I would be satisified doing a metric.

Thanks for all of your support! It is most meaningful to me!

Somewhat Slimmer Somewhat Speedier Somewhat Simple Serotta Sandy