PDA

View Full Version : Nitto Dirt Drops w/ Ergos

weaponsgrade
08-17-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm thinking of trying out a set of Nitto Dirt Drops with Ergos. Does anybody have any experience with this setup? Is the shifting, especially with the thumb, just too awkward?

Ray
08-21-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm thinking of trying out a set of Nitto Dirt Drops with Ergos. Does anybody have any experience with this setup? Is the shifting, especially with the thumb, just too awkward?
Should work fine, if you're really talking about Dirt Drops and not Randonees or other bars that flare in the hooks, rather than just in the flat section below the hook. I have the old narrow Dirt Drops on all of my road bikes and they're just like a normal drop bar until the bottom of the hook, where the flats then flare out. No problem with Ergos, except that there are no grooves, if that bothers you. Other bars that often get passed off as Dirt Drops, though, have a big flare in the hooks. In the case of the Randonee, the hooks are flared outward, and then the bottom flat parts go straight back. Those might be a problem with Ergos. But, on the other hand, I've heard of people using Ergos on mustache bars, so if THAT can work, anything should be possible.

-Ray

dbrk
08-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I use STI shifters with Nitto 176 Randonneur bars and it's a piece of cake, not much to get used to just because the levers are a bit sideways. Like Ray said, even less to consider on DirtDrops.

dbrk