PDA

View Full Version : Smelly handlebars

JMerring
08-17-2007, 03:51 PM
After a hot summer, my handlebars are starting to really smell. I typically change the bar tape once a year in the early fall. I'd like to keep to that schedule this year as well. So....any ideas on how I can clean the bars to get them less smelly (since they are white it would be nice to get them less dirty as well, but the smell is my main concern).

Thanks!

regularguy412
08-17-2007, 04:07 PM
I guess you have already tried good ol' soap n' water. I also presume this is cork tape or some other porous tape. I've not specifically had this problem. Seems it's always my gloves that are the worst offenders. You could try Febreeze. There is also a product called ozium that does pretty well at neutralizing odors. You can usually find this product in the automotive department at one of the big box discount stores or at an auto parts store. It's just a spray-on and has a sort of non-descript smell of its own.

Mike in AR

Ginger
08-17-2007, 04:39 PM
sponge them down with soap and water with a touch of bleach and rinse really really well.

I don't have smelly bars, but it works to keep my white tape looking cleaner.

Ahneida Ride
08-17-2007, 05:09 PM
I stay outa smelly bars ...

But then Bouncer William won't let me in anyway.

Peter P.
08-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Try a mixture of baking soda and water, or add the baking soda to the soapy water you'll scrub the tape with.

Fixed
08-17-2007, 06:32 PM
bro i'll send you some tape .
cheers

imp25rs
08-17-2007, 07:21 PM
I would say change the tape a little early or deal with the smell for a month or two. I am guessing the smell is going to be pretty hard to get out of the tape.

wfu_dh
08-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Dude, just buy some new tape. It only runs $10 - $15. I personally get the smelly glove syndrom and I just ignore it by soaking up the scenery. :rolleyes:

WFU

Your_Friend!
08-17-2007, 09:35 PM
bro i'll send you some tape .
cheers

Fixed!

You Are The Best!

Love,
Your_Friend!