PDA

View Full Version : Legend ST test report

zap
07-02-2004, 10:31 AM
I would like to thank Lori and Smiley for allowing me to test the latest Legend. By the way everyone, Lori is fast so watch out.

First of all, my apologies in advance for any mistakes regarding frame tubing specs, etc on the bike I tested. Smiley, correct me if any of the specs are not correct.

Test bike was a 57 Legend ST with sloping top tube, F2 fork (?), 1cm headtube extension, oversized chainstays and the stiffer rear carbon seatstays. TT was 56.5cm with 11cm positive rise stem. Frame had the Sierra Nevada paint scheme and Campy equipment :banana: Wheels, Bontrager X Lite with Maxxis tires at 110psi.

I need to point out that the bike did not fit me. The top tube and stem were to short by a combined 3.3-3.5cm. I adjusted the saddle position pretty close to what I normally ride, so for this test I probably had more weight on the rear wheels than if the bike were sized correctly. The stem and h/bar were higher than normal and the bars were 2 cm wider than what I'm used to. All these differences made me feel a little awkward on the bike but typical when riding a bike not set up "just right".

I've tested small frames before and the basic characteristics were still apparent in frames my size. However, keep the above in mind as you read my ride report.

The ride was smooth. In fact, much better than the first generation Legend Ti frames. Like current Sevens, I thought the ride of gen 1 Legend's was to stiff. The current Legend ST rode very well.

The drivetrain was nice and stiff and the bike accelerates very well. I felt the fork was a good compromise between stiffness and ride compliance.

So far everything performed as I would expect from a top of the line frameset.

However, as speeds increased above, say, 18mph while in the saddle, I felt an increasing disconnect between the front and rear. The front rode just fine as expected but the rear started to give vertically. The rear was too compliant and I didn't like the feel. What was really surprising was that going through dips or over bumps, the rear wheel would lighten up considerably or in some instances, leave the ground.

It's possible that my weight distribution contributed to this problem but I think the fault lies in the rear stay pivot design. I believe under a 400 lb load the rear moves 3mm. I doubt I loaded the rear wheel more than 200 lbs but regardless, there appears to be enough compression and rebound to lighten the rear wheel. Maybe the longer than normal carbon post due to the sloping top tube contributed as well?

I would have liked to weld the rear seatstay lug to the rear dropout and then tried the frame, but I don't think Ben would have approved :D Another possibility is to try a frame with super sized rear chainstay's.

For some, I can understand the appeal of having a rear stay pivot. But for me, I would have to test this design further on a larger frame with a level top tube and super sized stay's before making a final decision on this design. I would also want to try the regular Legend with Ti seatstay's. Not to mention the Ottrott.

I didn't need to test the handling as I've ridden Serotta's before so I know the handling would be just fine.

IMHO, to get the most out of your Serotta purchase, test as many models as possible and if one intrests you, try different tubing options in order to find what works best for your riding style. Then work with your fitter to get the frame geometry nailed.

:beer:

Smiley
07-02-2004, 10:44 AM
I wonder if you could have gotten the rear to stick better after you finished dinner. Judging from how well you cleaned your plate I think we could have gotten the rear wheel just a tad more loaded . Just kidding and thanks for posting and the contribution of your opinions. The Captain likes the DKS so I guess you better not demo my frame unless your planning on going off-road with my rig. :banana:

jeffg
07-02-2004, 11:33 AM
I would have liked to test that since it is about my size; however, after reading your report I sense my reaction to the ST would be similar to the DKS, i.e. not for me. I have the standard all-Ti rear on my Legend and would keep it if it were an Ottrott. The all Ti rear is a bit stiffer, still super comfy, and gives that wonderful "spring" when spinning the smaller gears up a climb! Ah, I need to see mountains, mountains Gandalf!

Serotta PETE
07-02-2004, 02:31 PM
I was also riding (for the 2nd time) a Legend ST while in Saratoga. It fit me real well and I can say that it is the best riding and handling bike that I have ridden. Sorry that you did not have the same experience, It might have been better if the size to bars was not so far off.

The one I had was built with beefy chain stays and was a -2 or 3 degree sloping top tube.

As to DKS, Smiley and I will continue to disagree (over wine and beer) as to the love over DKS, It does smooth out ALL bumps, but I could not get use to the handling - somewhat bouncy to me.

Have never rode an Ottrott ST but have had numerous other Serottas. Hope you get to try another Legend or Ottrott closer to your fit.

Have a good 4th of July PETE

Redturbo
07-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Zap,

How much seat post was showing and what kind was it? It sounds like to me and like you said, it may be the seat post pole vaulting.

turbo

zap
07-03-2004, 05:26 PM
It was a Profile 02 carbon seatpost also marketed as Woodman. I didn't measure the exposed portion of the post but I would estimate 15-16cm from bottom of saddle rail to top of seat tube.

I should have taken the seatpost out of the frame and checked wall thickness.