PDA

View Full Version : Replace scratched Record levers?

jmeloy
08-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Anyone know if I can buy and replace just the carbon brake levers without buying the whole works? Left one has delaminated a little.
JAM

sspielman
08-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I am sure somebody sells the replacement levers...If you get one, they can be easily replaced. Get a punch that is as close as possible to the size of the pin holding the lever, and simply tap the pin out until you can remove the lever. Installation is the reverse.

MarcusPless
08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
but it may not be worth it. If I'm recalling things correctly the last time I checked (a couple of years ago) each carbon "blade" (the actual brake lever) was roughly $60 - $70. I chose to ride the bike with the scraped up levers. :D

--Marcus

Ken Robb
08-17-2007, 10:27 AM
but it may not be worth it. If I'm recalling things correctly the last time I checked (a couple of years ago) each carbon "blade" (the actual brake lever) was roughly $60 - $70. I chose to ride the bike with the scraped up levers. :D

--Marcus
yeah it adds character and makes you look like a "real" rider. :beer:

jmeloy
08-17-2007, 10:57 AM
good comments gang! maybe I leave them be!!

Grant McLean
08-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Any shop can order the lever blades from a distributor like
QualityBicycleParts

about $139-149 each for record, and $125-129 for chorus

they come with the pins and pivots, not just the blade

QBP part#
LD9041 -record left
LD9042 -record right
LD9043 -chorus left
LD9044 -chorus right

-g

Waldo
08-17-2007, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=Grant McLean]

about $139-149 each for record, and $125-129 for chorus

they come with the pins and pivots, not just the blade

Grant, do you mean it's $140-150 for right and another $140-150 for left? So $280 to $300 for incomplete replacement levers when a brand new complete set with cables is available online for $290 at Texas Cyclesport http://txcyclesport.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=CA-REL-QS-WC&Category_Code=SH_road_shifters

Outrageous!

musgravecycles
08-17-2007, 01:30 PM
you got it, you're almost better off buying new levers.

Wait till you see the price of Campagnolo chainring bolts...
:crap:

Edit: I've repaired my own on several occasions and have repainted dozens of the critters for clients over the years, pretty simple operation for a good painter. Mine look better than new yo.

Waldo
08-17-2007, 01:38 PM
A related question: Are brake lever blades essentially the same from year to year? Is it possible to cannibalize say 5 or 7-year old Record or Chorus levers (carbon or aluminum) for lever blades and install them in 2006 brifters?

stevep
08-17-2007, 01:39 PM
emery cloth a little and nail polish to seal it.
you will look like a bike rider

cost of this repair:
$10 to steveps enterprises.

Grant McLean
08-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Grant, do you mean it's $140-150 for right and another $140-150 for left? So $280 to $300 for incomplete replacement levers when a brand new complete set with cables is available online for $290 at Texas Cyclesport http://txcyclesport.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=CA-REL-QS-WC&Category_Code=SH_road_shifters

Outrageous!

Yes, i'm thinking there's an ebay business opportunity there.
We could strip apart campy stuff and part it out.
Not only do you get cables in the set, you can sell the hoods for $50 !

-g

Len J
08-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Yes, i'm thinking there's an ebay business opportunity there.
We could strip apart campy stuff and part it out.
Not only do you get cables in the set, you can sell the hoods for $50 !

-g

when people tout one of the advantages of Campy being it's re-buildability ......but they never mention how expensive it is. I like Campy, have it on 2 of my 4 geared bikes, but if I broke a shifter, I suspect it would be cheaper to just replace it as opposed to rebuilding it.

That is an absurd price for those levers....but campy small parts are always expensive.....does anyone remember the chain pin inserter?

Len

swoop
08-17-2007, 02:41 PM

cost of this repair:

this is exactly how i roll. sand it, put some nail polish on, wet sand, and you're good as new.

Grant McLean
08-17-2007, 02:52 PM
That is an absurd price for those levers....but campy small parts are always expensive.....does anyone remember the chain pin inserter?

Len

The chain thing was totally outrageous.

Most of the high price of the parts is due to the fact that nobody really buys them.
The carrying cost of inventory like that is huge for the distributors.
There are some parts that make sense, like the main ergo springs that are $5
and then there are just stupid things like the carbon cage for a rear derailleur
which costs hundreds of dollars.

Most 'pro' shops see stuff busted, and have always practiced the cannibalized
artfrom of keeping the remaining undamaged parts for later surgery.

Hoods, cables, pulleys, rings, are all parts that get used up, and replaced
often. Personally, I wear out the 18/19 paired cog quite often in my
cassettes, and i'm glad i can replace those two, even at a high price.

-g

Len J
08-17-2007, 02:56 PM
and you are right about a good shop cannibalizing other broken shifters for parts.......however, when you live in an area where no one works on Campy.....you are SOL & will pay thru the nose for spares.

I also understand the low demand high cost component to this.

It just is one of those rational selling points that many users hang their hat on to make the emotional decision to buy Campy. (Not that it's all emotional, but some of it sure is).

Len

stevep
08-17-2007, 03:00 PM
this is exactly how i roll. sand it, put some nail polish on, wet sand, and you're good as new.

swoop,
how many times have you done this? you owe me $10 each time.
s
never forget

Grant McLean
08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
It just is one of those rational selling points that many users hang their hat on to make the emotional decision to buy Campy.
(Not that it's all emotional, but some of it sure is).

Len

Being rational is highly over-rated!

:)

g

Simon Q
08-19-2007, 06:22 PM

cost of this repair:

+ 1. Did that for an unfortunate scrape on my Record UT cranks and looks fine.