PDA

View Full Version : Specialized shoe questions? please!

CarlosContreros
08-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Just cleated up my new Spec Carbon Comps and after a first "shake-down"
cruise I think I'm going to like them!

I have a surgically repaired left knee from back in '87...and that knee is
bothering me a bit...I think 'cause the Spec's have me in a more aggressive
and powerful position than my Diadora's did...which will be a great thing
when my knee can get acclimated to the new...."change".

My question????
I use the Look system cleats....and the cleat plate in my Spec's rattles around making quite a bit of noise in the aft and also starboard shoe! :confused:
Any fix for this??
Maybe I should try to put a screw in one of them to hold in place?

Last question...I haven't installed the shims yet...isn't the "off-the-rack"
Body-Geometry shoe already canted a bit??

thanks ya'll :beer:

regularguy412
08-17-2007, 06:40 AM
According to the fitter at my LBS, the Specialized BG Comp Carbon shoe is supposed to be a generic knock-off of the Rocket 7 custom shoe. Obviously, you don't get the custom molded sole/ upper with the Comp, but supposedly Specialized took some Rocket 7's apart and tried to copy what they could of them. I don't own them, but they do seem to be a good shoe.

I had a rattle problem with a pair of Shimano shoes once. They had a built-in 2-bolt attachment for the small SPD cleats. The 2-bolt attachment points allowed the screw holders to 'slide' up and down in the adjustment grooves. I just wadded up a few small pieces of tape and wedged each one in behind the sliders, then I put the cleat on using the 3-bolt holes. Never a sound, thereafter. Not sure if your Comps have this arrangement.

I dunno about the canting of the sole, but that's what the shims are for -- to help you decide if or where to install them so that the fit is more 'custom'.

LegendRider
08-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Pull out the insole and you should see a square perforation. Cut it open and remove plate used to accept SPD cleat. Reassemble.

rinconryder
08-17-2007, 08:40 AM
I had a rattle problem with a pair of Shimano shoes once. They had a built-in 2-bolt attachment for the small SPD cleats. The 2-bolt attachment points allowed the screw holders to 'slide' up and down in the adjustment grooves. I just wadded up a few small pieces of tape and wedged each one in behind the sliders, then I put the cleat on using the 3-bolt holes. Never a sound, thereafter. Not sure if your Comps have this arrangement.

Same problem with a pair of DMT's that I had and used a small piece of duct tape waded up - fixed it perfectly.

CarlosContreros
08-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Pull out the insole and you should see a square perforation. Cut it open and remove plate used to accept SPD cleat. Reassemble.

Yes...I can see the square perforation....but with the Spec "sock-fit" that
really makes for foot-fitting perfection....it's really hard to try and work in that hid area!

Plus...it seems the flap is facing the wrong way to make for a "cut"!

Might just try the tape remedy first....so far...love the shoes and I haven't started playing with the shims yet.

I love to use my cadence feature to see how fast I can sprint in small gear
and with these shoes I see 150+ acheivable!
Just a great fit and feel!

seanw
08-18-2007, 07:05 AM
specialized shoes with a rigid forefoot, as your road shoe, have whats called a varus wedge. i believe its 1.5 mm. this is to account for people who pronate and have some degree of varus, a void under the forefoot when said foot is in a neutral position. this is to help stablize the foot and reduce pronation and increase the alignment of the spindle.
i would recommend going to a good shop that could evaluate your foot and recommend possibly an aftermarket or custom footbed. check out the aline system (aline.com). this is a footbed that can be customized to some degree and works for a lot of people and i find works well in specialized shoes. much better support than specialized's footbeds.
where is your knee pain?

sean