PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Torque Wrench?

jimp1234
08-16-2007, 03:33 PM
With all the carbon fiber stuff on my new bike, I'm thinking the "feel" method of tightening things may no longer be a good idea. Any recommendations for a favorite "bike" torque wrench? About a million years ago when I actually worked on my cars I borrowed a friends snap-on "click" style torque wrench which was very sweet. Anyone know of click style "bike" equivalent?

tia

-Jim

pdxmech13
08-16-2007, 03:55 PM
check effettomariposa.com/ (http://effettomariposa.com/) out

Too Tall
08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Snap On 1/2" and real live torque hex bits

Spinner
08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
who has used an effetto and what has been your experience?

pdxmech13
08-16-2007, 04:06 PM
I use it on a proffessional basis every day. Obviously one still needs a torque wrench with a higher rating ! Not only does it work great but it certainly competes price wise than most other wrenches. the finish and feel are top notch.

Ahneida Ride
08-16-2007, 04:27 PM
My favorite talk wrench is Simley.

He talks, talks and talks and talks. He never shuts up. :p

Yup, Similey is my favorite talk wrench. ;)

oldfatslow
08-16-2007, 04:30 PM
I bought a Norbar from Total Cycling (http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/torque_wrenches/norbar_4_20.html) and have been very pleased with it.

Pete Serotta
08-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Need you and Ray to get down to NC when your new wheels come in...

Maybe Mr Seth can come along with some of his good red....

:D :D :D :D

My favorite talk wrench is Simley.

He talks, talks and talks and talks. He never shuts up. :p

Yup, Similey is my favorite talk wrench. ;)

Dekonick
08-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Snap-on is the best choice, but alot of coin. To save your federal reserve notes, go to Sears. Park is not worth the money - at least not for a torque wrench.

:D

Pete Serotta
08-16-2007, 07:00 PM
I am going to stop talking about wine so much and more about biking....PETE

Need you and Ray to get down to NC when your new wheels come in...

Maybe Mr Seth can come along with some of his good red....

:D :D :D :D

Bruce K
08-16-2007, 07:16 PM
+1 on Sears / Craftsman

They work fine and are graded in both N-M and In-Lbs (or Ft-Lbs).

For travel I have a Ritchey Torque Key. A handy little device for torquing Ritchey stems and face plates.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
08-16-2007, 07:19 PM
I am going to stop talking about wine so much and more about biking....PETE

. . . I gotta see! (or hear!) :rolleyes: :p ;) :beer:

BBD

Pete Serotta
08-16-2007, 07:24 PM
ok.....come on down to NC - - - take you on some wonderful rides and we can show off the BEE

. . . I gotta see! (or hear!) :rolleyes: :p ;) :beer:

BBD

BdaGhisallo
08-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Hey Bruce K,

I too have one of the Ritchey torqkeys but I have never had too much confidence in it. I also have on of the click-type torque wrenches that Park sold a few years back. I am sure the Park needs calibrating somewhat, but when I set it to 5nm, it sets the bolts nowhere near as tight as the Ritchey. And even then, I really have to torque the Ritchey to get it to break loose at the handle and indicate that 5nm has been reached. It took me a while before I even felt it break loose also. The first few times I used it, it would turn and then become increasingly hard to turn. I thought that was how it told you it was at 5nm. It was only after consulting Ritchey that I was told that the handle should release and break free.

How does your Ritchey work for you? I have tried two of the Ritcheys, and they both felt the same.

Could my Park be reading that much higher than it is actually delivering at the business end? Could my ritchey be a cheap thing that is worth the small change it cost, relative to other torque devices?

thanks,
Geoff

That Mariposa does look nice. Any other feedback on it?

sspielman
08-17-2007, 06:21 AM
I use it on a proffessional basis every day. Obviously one still needs a torque wrench with a higher rating ! Not only does it work great but it certainly competes price wise than most other wrenches. the finish and feel are top notch.
Thanks for the tip...I want one of these!..er..I NEED one of these....

Cat Craig
08-17-2007, 08:51 AM
I recently purchased a torque key for use with my Ritchey bar and stems. Mine works great, inspires confidence, and is very easy to use. Of course its application is limited, but you figure that you'll be adjusting bar/stem and seatpost more than most other things.

pdxmech13
08-17-2007, 09:30 AM
That ritchey product is a no brainer

MadRocketSci
08-17-2007, 04:09 PM
I have one of these and the smaller park "beam" type wrench.

The ritchey was difficult to release when I first got it...I thought it was broken. Then, once it did release, I think it took a less torque to repeat.

I've done a little "testing" against my park beam wrench, which never needs calibration, and was satisfied with the torque key's release point - at least within a reasonable tolerance. I typically do most tightening with a hex key until i'm getting close, and then finish with the torque key. The "key" is to have the torque key release while it is moving slowly. Static friction is higher than dynamic friction.

d_douglas
09-20-2010, 04:46 AM
I need to buy one that I can use for ultratorque cranks right down to stem faceplates. is there one that does this range? That is affordable?

Thanks for any replies,

Darren

russ46
09-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Had been wanting to get one of these for some time but price was a put off. Finally found & bought one off a UK site for a good price. Works great on lower torque values. Just need to remember to take the tension off the dial after use.

Steve in SLO
09-20-2010, 08:16 AM
I need to buy one that I can use for ultratorque cranks right down to stem faceplates. is there one that does this range? That is affordable?

Thanks for any replies,

Darren

I haven't seen one.
Most microtorque wrenches needed for 4-5Nm torques top out under 30Nm, so a bigger wrench is needed for UT cranks.

mpetry
09-20-2010, 09:21 AM
My favorite torque wrench is this old style Snap On with dial indicator. you can find these used on ebay for not too much coin.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/4964977101_1d97724755_z.jpg

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

d_douglas
09-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Mark:

with your big ol SnapOn wrench, can you tighten up big things like cranksets as well as your stem hardware, etc?

It looks like it might be possible ?!?

merlincustom1
09-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Ditto on the Mariposa. Easy, versatile.

rugbysecondrow
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Mark:

with your big ol SnapOn wrench, can you tighten up big things like cranksets as well as your stem hardware, etc?

It looks like it might be possible ?!?

Also, Snap On has a lifetime warranty, right?

rice rocket
09-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Ditto on the Mariposa. Easy, versatile.

And also $150!

Harbor Freight, 1/4" torque wrench, $20.

I don't buy a lot of Harbor Freight tools because...well...they suck... But the torque wrenches are actually decent and has lasted me 3 or 4 years already. They stay accurate too if you treat them right (i.e. always return it down to 0 before storing).

mpetry
09-20-2010, 02:44 PM
This one's a 0-300 inch pounds. I have a different one that goes up to 100 foot pounds. That one's not a dial type, it's a clicker.

Again, you can get these cheep on ebay if you watch for them.

Have not seen one that does newton meters, but the conversion is easy.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Dave
09-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I've been riding carbon frames, seatposts, and bars for over 10 years and never felt the need for a torque wrench for any small M4-M6 bolt. I've even done tests with scrap pieces of CF steering tube to prove to myself how hard it is to actually damage carbon (I couldn't do it). Most breakage is the result of poory made parts or a poor fit between parts, that permits pinching.

zray67
09-20-2010, 06:07 PM
copy

sean
09-20-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm a big fan of craftsman. They are def not the best, but trolling Craigslist, you can get them on the cheap. I got my near new for $40. Barring that, snap-on is great, especially with the replacement warranty.

My friend got one at a flea market for $25, and the Snap-On rep at his shop replaced it with a new one!

Just picked up a small pedros for low torque carbon jobbies. Happy with that so far, but I got it used at a flea market. I don't think I'd pay retail for it, but $20 was just right.

Also, for seatposts and small things that take a specific torque. Grab one of those ritchey pocket ones with the fixed size bit. Bring it home, put the bit end in a vice and pull. Instant mini torque wrench for any 1/4 bit.

Last one. The tiny Syntace one for carbon and ti is REALLY nice. I use the one from my local shop quite a bit and really love it. For the quality, I think the $100 is fair.

monkeywobble
09-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Had been wanting to get one of these for some time but price was a put off. Finally found & bought one off a UK site for a good price. Works great on lower torque values. Just need to remember to take the tension off the dial after use.

+1 for remembering to take the tension off before storing. I made that mistake once. I still use it but everytime i do i think i should send it off to get retuned.

Feels good just to hold on to it, very solid feel.

I take it they make the same wrench for Ritchey and Ritchey just rebadges it?