PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Drinks

Kevin
12-28-2003, 10:02 AM
What does everyone use as a nutritional drink during rides? I am currently using Cytomax, which I am relatively happy with, but I was thinking of trying either Extran or Accelerade. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? If so, what are your thoughts.

As far as after ride drinks, I am currently using Cytosport Complete Whey. Has anyone tried Endurox or Cytomax Recovery? If so, what are your thoughts.

Kevin

dohearne
12-28-2003, 11:50 AM
I currently use Accelerade and Endurox but have been considering changing to something like Cytomax because it contains complex carbohydrates. But I have been satisifed with Accelerade. Actually, I am very uncertain about all the various claims made for this or that sports drink and all the various "performance" additives. Gatorade is perhaps the most honest...you drink it because it tastes better than water and thus you are more prone to stay hydrated. I know that I prefer some flavor to drinking a gallon of water over a long ride. I am sure that the carbohydrates also are important on really long rides, but there are many ways to get carbohydrates. I anticipate that the answers to this question will be similar to the beer ad..."tastes great" v. "less filling". Ultimately a sports drink choice is probably as personal as saddle choice.

PBWrench
12-28-2003, 11:55 AM
I live on Vanilla GU and Lemon Extran. I'm considering adding vegetables to my diet.

bags27
12-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Doesn't the type of sports drink somewhat depend on how far and fast you're going to bike? Under two hours, water's okay, but so is a carb gel. Current "wisdom" (or sales pitch!) says over two hours--especially a lot over two hours--and the drink ideally should be 15% protein (like Accelerade--which I also use). And for really long distances, a lot of people like Spiz or Ensure for the fats and nutrients. Electrolytes seems important in anything over two or even under two when you're hammering.

CJV
12-28-2003, 01:10 PM
I ride, no matter the distance, with two bottles, one filled with water, the other with Cytomax. On longer rides, I'll buy some orange juice at a rest stop. If I use a Camelback, I fill it with ice and water and carry a bottle of Cytomax in the cage. Seems to keep me hydrated if I continue to drink fluids after the ride.

shinomaster
12-28-2003, 02:17 PM
I usually drink whatever I can find at the rural gas station I'm at, and usually that is Gator or Powerade.
Powerade used to have more carbs but they axed them probably so people who are diet conscious can drink it with their steak..
I never have used the fancy stuff, but I wil use raspberry cliff shots if its a long group ride and I don't have time to stop. If I'm just tooling by myself I usually eat a powerbar with water.:bike:

EPOJoe
12-28-2003, 03:27 PM
I usually ride with one bottle of water & one bottle of slightly diluted Gatorade.

theoldman
12-28-2003, 03:32 PM
I keep it simple,Gatorade or Powerade; what ever is cheaper.

In the summer, I fill the camelback with one of the two and freeze it. Great for a long ride on a hot summer day. During the fall and spring, I just buy a bottle and put it in the cage.

They both do the job without any hassle or big expense.

chuck
12-28-2003, 05:14 PM
Sustained Energy, mixed from soupy to pasty depending on intensity and duration of ride. Also mix in several doses of Endurolytes (also varying amount for ride condition). Both from the HammerGel folks.
Chuck

Bruce K
12-28-2003, 05:38 PM
I personally like the Extran in both flavors. Sometimes I will mix Hammer Gel and water.

My son's Orthodontist warned us off Gatorade and Powerade for developing kids and women at risk for Osteoporosis. Apparently one of the acids conatined in both of these is detrimental to calcium in teeth and bones.

BK

M_A_Martin
12-28-2003, 05:53 PM
If you're riding along on a tour and manage to come down with diahrea of any sort, Gatorade fixes that problem. Slows it right down. Works at home too. Evidently Gatorade has something in it that Powerade and the rest don't. I forget what that something is...but I do know that it works like a charm.

While riding I drink water. If I'm on a long ride I'll eat real food while I'm riding (Bananas, PBJ, dried fruit, nuts) an occasional cliff shot, and chug whatever sports drinks the gas station has available. I did the Accelerade thing...talk about gas powered. It doesn't set in my system very well. Something to think about whenever you change sports drinks.

shinomaster
12-28-2003, 08:00 PM
no wonder I have bad teeth!! but a regular system!!

Too Tall
12-29-2003, 06:37 AM
Kevin, Cytomax is not a bad choice esp. since it works for you. However, why not save a $ and use a much better quality Whey such as Solgar Whey for recovery? Not surprisingly, your body ain't all that particular about the source of carbo. immediately after aerobic exercise so as they say the world is your oyster.

Whoever said Gatorade cures the trots might reconsider. It is not a bad choice to sip if you've been puking as it has a decent electrolyte / carb. profile. The magnesium, however might be a problem if you already have the runs.

Apologies for being so gross.

Kevan
12-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Usually I'll have some Gaterade or Powerade around the house, but when I'm flat out I'll reach into the fridge...

Flat out, the best drink is ice cold water or after the ride an ice cold beer. I consider the energy drinks mentioned above as mostly evil... vile... but necessary stuff. Yet my homemade brews seem to come thru in a swig.

The best is OJ mixed with Cranberry (or one of their mixed hybrids), 50/50.

Recently discovered as much less pleasant, Hawaiian Punch and OJ, 50/50. Don't go here. The color alone will be unsettling. Gaterade's worst is better.

Usually at a deli stop I'll aim for a Sobe. Orange/carrot yum!

Sandy I understand does the same as I, but his recipes stretch the culinary imagination tho worthy of mention here. The last one he recommended to me was a blend of cottage cheese juice... shaken, not stirred with an equal amount of sauerkraut brine.

I haven't tried it as yet; I fear my plastic bottles would melt.

davep
12-29-2003, 11:08 AM
For rides of 1 - 2 hours its water only. For longer rides I drink Gatorade because it is cheap, has a decent amount of electrolytes and is available almost everywhere, from supermarkets to Mom & Pop roadside stores. I tried Accelerade, but like mentioned previously, it caused a lot of gas. I usually drink a glass of Endurox after hard rides, but a can of Slim Fast has remarkably similar nutritional values, and tastes a lot better. But my two year old son loves Endurox, so we usually have it around.

PaulE
12-29-2003, 11:37 AM
I've recently tried Accelerade (lemon lime) and Endurox (orange). The Accelerade tastes pretty good for an energy drink, seems to work, doesn't give me gas, and I think I'm going to stick with it. The Endurox seems to help with recovery, but it tastes too much like Maalox, so I've stopped using that and instead make sure I take in some carbs and protein for my post-ride snacks.

Kurt
12-29-2003, 11:44 AM
After years of screwing around with every combo to eat and drink I have come up with the following:

For long ~70mile/3-4hr rides I eat 2 pieces of some sort of sprouted toast with light peanut butter and jelly and maybe 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs. (500cal) I take (2) enervitene packs with me (1000cal) and Accelerade in both 24oz bottles (130cal) after those are done I am back on water. For shorter rides I just cut the amount in half. Club/crit rides <90-min just water. The reason why I like both the above products is they seem to work and they are not sweet. The enervitene is well documented on the tour and lots of other events. Folks balk at the price but they can be bought for ~$3 on the net and I don’t think that is much for 500cal.

vaxn8r
12-30-2003, 12:47 PM
What are you trying to get out of a "sports drink"?

If your primary goal is hydration, gatorade is your best option but it is not perfect. Actually there are too many carbs in Gatorade for optimal absorbtion by a factor of 2. Gatorade is also low on optimal electrolytes. There is a perfect balance for optimal water absorbtion. You'd find this in something like Pedialyte. The problem with Pedialyte is it tastes bad so no one would drink it. So Gatorade markets their product as tasting good so you will drink more. But it is not balanced appropriately/optimally.

There is absolutely nothing in Gatorade that will harm bones or teeth (except sugar!) This one makes me chuckle, especially in light of other products mentioned on this thread that are full of all kinds of questionable crap.

Powerade cut their carbs? Good! But they were even lower in salt and higher in carbs than Gatorade. The exact opposite of the optimal drink.

Drink a lot and eat a lot. That's the key to riding longer. The only adantage of the "MAX" drinks is that you are getting cals and fluids. Very expensive way to do it IMO but, to each his own.