PDA

View Full Version : Question about prostatitis

Pastashop
08-16-2007, 12:42 AM
From the series ''eh, doc, it's not for me, it's for this friend of mine...''

Friend of mine called yesterday with a health-related question. He has been commuting 25 miles a day in Chicago and recently wound up with an inflamed prostate. Aside from following doctor's orders, what can he do to help things heal faster and prevent recurrence?

Thanks in advance.

swoop
08-16-2007, 12:51 AM
i don't want to recomend anything for a medical treatment for fear of a lawsuit... if the advice led to injury or illness.. but i can tell you that my doctor had me take saw palmetto and it worked wonders for me and my manly bits.

(lots of 5 plus hour days doing base miles)

Too Tall
08-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Guys ,the rest of you go about your bid-ness, buy the Hammer Nutrition product "PSA Caps" which does have some Saw Palmetto in it among other things. I tried saw palmetto...works...however this works alot better. Zero issues, nada. I feel like Tommy, miracle cure ;) If I'm logging mega miles I use it otherwise life is good.

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD.ID=5367&OMI=10130,10047&AMI=10130

Mud
08-16-2007, 07:24 AM
since I know. I am not a Dr, but a patient. PM me if you are interested. I ride over 150 miles a week. And I am not an herbal guy.

Ahneida Ride
08-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Guys ,the rest of you go about your bid-ness, buy the Hammer Nutrition product "PSA Caps" which does have some Saw Palmetto in it among other things. I tried saw palmetto...works...however this works alot better. Zero issues, nada. I feel like Tommy, miracle cure ;) If I'm logging mega miles I use it otherwise life is good.

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD.ID=5367&OMI=10130,10047&AMI=10130

I, no not me, my friend, had prostate idis for over a year. This is bad news.
Went on all sorts of anti-biotics for 1 year.

Finally I started taking Saw Palmetto and drinking tons of water.
It cleared up in 30-60 days.

Don't get despondent my friend, it can and will clear up.

I think the P word is God's way of informing us men what women go thru on
a more regular basis.

Drink tons of water. Consider saw palmetto.
This stuff can really sneak up on you.

Pastashop
08-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Is the saw palmetto remedy something that needs to be done on a continuous basis, or just for a period of time 'til the thing goes away? How soon can he ride again? (He's been saying something along the lines of staying away from bikes 'til he can get a recumbent...)

Also, is there any concensus / anecdotal evidence as to whether this can be brought on by bad seat/position? I've gone through quite a few seat options (and that includes cut-out models, Brooks saddles, etc.) and haven't found any that don't cause the "sleepy-peepy" condition - except an old WTB SST-X, which has kevlar bumpers that eat away at my shorts. So, I'm wondering if I will end up with the same sort of thing eventually.

Thanks again!

CNY rider
08-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Is the saw palmetto remedy something that needs to be done on a continuous basis, or just for a period of time 'til the thing goes away? How soon can he ride again? (He's been saying something along the lines of staying away from bikes 'til he can get a recumbent...)

Also, is there any concensus / anecdotal evidence as to whether this can be brought on by bad seat/position? I've gone through quite a few seat options (and that includes cut-out models, Brooks saddles, etc.) and haven't found any that don't cause the "sleepy-peepy" condition - except an old WTB SST-X, which has kevlar bumpers that eat away at my shorts. So, I'm wondering if I will end up with the same sort of thing eventually.

Thanks again!

If "sleepy peepy" means your pecker is numb during and/or after riding then there is something wrong. Maybe it's just a saddle thing or maybe there's a bigger fit issue.
Shouldn't be happening.

1centaur
08-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Could be a position thing. Think of the sit bones as creating an arch through which those critical nerves/blood vessels run. Rotate too far forward or back and the arch closes down. The varying positions one can take in the course of a single ride sometimes close that arch down and can't be helped, but that is why it's important to stand sometimes, move around, and try to return to a neutral position where the arch is working. Not everybody's sit bones form a big arch, but saddles that are too padded or bad positions are more likely the culprit. A fitting designed to get the right saddle height and the right hip rotation might help.