PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only Yankee Fan...Holy Cow?

RIHans
08-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Brooklyn boy done good. Hall of Fame. 1950 MVP...I know the forum respects
outstanding performances...Give it up for Phil.

ti_boi
08-16-2007, 12:33 AM
The Holy Cow part in the title reminds me of this fellow from Chicago....you know, the one with the big glasses (R.I.P).

Let's say that I have learned to love the way of the Yankees....someone once said that "rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Microsoft".

I never knew about Phil's cameo in the Meatloaf song....he is the announcer...play by play...Paradise By the Dashboard Lights.....btw.

William
08-16-2007, 04:56 AM
Brooklyn boy done good. Hall of Fame. 1950 MVP...I know the forum respects
outstanding performances...Give it up for Phil.

http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Albums/Whats_Hot_Page/Complete_List_Of_HOF_Cards/Rizzuto_Phil_Supercard.jpg

:hello: :banana:

keno
08-16-2007, 06:16 AM
but I've always loved the Scooter, even in my current status, a reformed Yankee fan after living in Boston for 37 years. What struck me as his innocence and decency was always in front of his somewhat haphazard approach to announcing. As a shortstop he was great to watch, which I did many times as a kid both in Yankee Stadium and on WPIX. I was very lucky to see the Rizzuto, Mantle, Ford, Berra, Stengel and others' years, often in person.

Concerning the "Paradise..." performance, I heard Rizzuto tell the story that he had no idea how his voice over was going to be used. How devout a Catholic he was I don't know, but he first learned of his appearance in the song through his priest or someone in the NYC diocese, and they were not happy with him.

keno

BURCH
08-16-2007, 08:05 AM
I think every baseball fan out there has a place in their hearts for the Yankees of past eras (except Sox fans maybe). In one of his speeches, I think the HOF he said, "We were a good team and that was before you could buy a baseball team. We were barely paid!"

MarleyMon
08-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Not the only one (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=31695)

a real MVP and HOFer in anyones book.

Bradford
08-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I hate the Yankees, but I always loved Phil Rizzuto. I could listen to him for hours.

Phil was peanuts and organ music in a game that is now full of fancy good and rock and roll. Too bad they don't make them like the Scooter any more.

Dave B
08-16-2007, 01:32 PM
I hate the Yankees, but I always loved Phil Rizzuto. I could listen to him for hours.

Phil was peanuts and organ music in a game that is now full of fancy good and rock and roll. Too bad they don't make them like the Scooter any more.

+1

I will not even allow Yankees stuff in my classroom. :D

But Rizo was pure class...too bad he was not a Red Sox. I always got a kick out of Billy Madison paying a fine tribute to him.

benb
08-16-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't remember "Yankees Suck" being so prevalent when I was a kid.

I think there are plenty of us who can appreciate the Yankees.. the Red Sox would be no fun without the Yankees.