PDA

View Full Version : Ti clean up discovery and "can I tell the difference"?.

abqhudson
08-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Today I received the (new to me) 2002 Ottrott frame I just purchased on ebay. I removed the scratched up decals with Goof Off (liberal repeated applications and rubbing) and then to restore the Ti - in addition to superfine #0000 steel wool, I used some Mothers Mag and Alluminum Polish "perfect for all metals" as a final clean up and polish. I thought it worked great with minimal effort- although I do caution that it may be too shiny for some. You could, of course, vary the amount of application and rubbing. The frame cleaned up to near-new condition.

The Ottrott is the same std geo as my 2005 Concours, but, I just had to find out for myself if I could tell the difference between the ride of my Concours and the ride of the older Ottrott. Should have the Ottrott built up in a few days. What's your guess? Can an old, retired plodder (rode 200 miles this past week getting ready for the Buffalo Classic in Boulder, Co on Sept 9.) tell the difference?

Is this a great hobby or what?

Jim

dave thompson
08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Bring it to Italy with you next October! :D

Smiley
08-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Today I received the (new to me) 2002 Ottrott frame I just purchased on ebay. I removed the scratched up decals with Goof Off (liberal repeated applications and rubbing) and then to restore the Ti - in addition to superfine #0000 steel wool, I used some Mothers Mag and Alluminum Polish "perfect for all metals" as a final clean up and polish. I thought it worked great with minimal effort- although I do caution that it may be too shiny for some. You could, of course, vary the amount of application and rubbing. The frame cleaned up to near-new condition.

The Ottrott is the same std geo as my 2005 Concours, but, I just had to find out for myself if I could tell the difference between the ride of my Concours and the ride of the older Ottrott. Should have the Ottrott built up in a few days. What's your guess? Can an old, retired plodder (rode 200 miles this past week getting ready for the Buffalo Classic in Boulder, Co on Sept 9.) tell the difference?

Is this a great hobby or what?

Jim
BIG freaking difference especially in the torsional stiffness when you jump on the pedals !

Fixed
08-15-2007, 06:57 PM
enjoy bro,cheers

abqhudson
08-15-2007, 07:02 PM
What does "jump on the pedals" mean? :D

Jim

CNY rider
08-15-2007, 07:04 PM
I have a custom-to-me Legend.

I got a not-custom-to-me but almost identical in fit Ottrott.

I love the ride of my Legend.

The Ottrott lives in Europe now.

I'm betting you can tell.