PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads for Ceramic rims?

BdaGhisallo
08-15-2007, 04:05 PM
What do you guys recommend for Mavic ceramic rims? I am using stock DAce pads, and no amount of toe-in adjustment will stop them squealing or even vibrating at times. I never had this problem with normal Mavic rims. I got some ceramic rims to help with bad weather braking, but this is annoying me.

Kool Stop, Swiss Stop? Any other --- Stops I should look at?

Thanks,
Geoff

Pete Serotta
08-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I have the Kool Stop Green and they seem to work. Currently I am on my travel bike with Ceramic Rims and Ultegra pads...folks can definitely hear me coming down the hills. When I get back home, I am going to try the green pads. They are harder from what I am told and I hope they are "noiseless"

PETE

SPOKE
08-15-2007, 04:20 PM
I have the Kool Stop Green and they seem to work. Currently I am on my travel bike with Ceramic Rims and Ultegra pads...folks can definitely hear me coming down the hills. When I get back home, I am going to try the green pads. They are harder from what I am told and I hope they are "noiseless"

PETE

Pete........DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH THE BIKE WITH ANY KIND OF TOOL!!!!!! :no:

Pete Serotta
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
I assure you it will be coming to your house - -- - (get the Sierra Nevada in stock)

Pete........DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH THE BIKE WITH ANY KIND OF TOOL!!!!!! :no:

rwsaunders
08-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Try www.koolstop.com for more information regarding pads for ceramic coated rims. Many accolades from Forumites regarding their pads.

Ahneida Ride
08-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Kool stop Salmon pads are are no brainer for Al rims.

dschlichting
08-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I have Mavic ceramic rims on 3 ofthe 4 bikes in my, uh, fleet. The earliest installation dates from 1996 on my Spectrum touring bike.
That bike has Campy Record (dual pivot model) brakes and none of the aftermarket brands made anything to fit these brakes. I used the standard Campy brake pads. These got chewed up in about 3-4 months, and after replacing them, I have now the same set on over several thousand miles. No noise issues, and superb performance in the rain.
My Colorado II had Campy Colbaltos with the green Kool Stop pads. No issues, no noise, minimal wear.
My Proteus has Campy Nuovo Record brakes with those Salmon colored Kool Stop pads. Performance not quite as good as the above 2 installations, but no noise issues.
OK, once in a while I'll get some squeaking, but nothing along the lines as you describe. I wonder if this is one of those basic brake pad toe in issues?

zap
08-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Koolstop greens work quite well on my mtb with Mavic ceramic rims. No squeal when wet and muddy.

Used koolstop greens on the road some years back as well with no problems. First set wears fairly quickly but seems to wear fine after that.