PDA

View Full Version : Poor Unibet!

Your_Friend!
08-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I Feel Sad For Them!

I Feel That The ASO Was Not Nice! (http://velonews.com/race/int/articles/13095.0.html)

And Poor Baden Cooke!

It Is As If Cycling Is

Boxing Or Chess!

Love,
Your_Friend!

Fixed
08-15-2007, 06:43 PM
6 teams at the tdf next year bro
cheers

Your_Friend!
08-15-2007, 06:52 PM
That Would Be Sort Of Sad, Fixed!

I Hope They Learn To Get Along!

And Share All Of Their Power!

Love,
Your_Friend!

Fixed
08-15-2007, 06:59 PM
bro human nature says no
not everyone is as nice as you bro
imho
cheers

PK9
08-15-2007, 07:02 PM
ASO laments the state of the sport and then drives a paying sponsor away.

I have a hard time understanding this madness.

Was PMU perhaps yanking their chain?

Your_Friend!
08-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Fixed!

Thank You! You Are Nice

Pk9!

You Are Smart!

Love,
Your_Friend!

pdxmech13
08-15-2007, 09:40 PM
don't feel sad friend as those riders
will be riding there bikes again next
year, only at half of the $30,000 they
were told that they would make this year !

nobrakes
08-15-2007, 11:39 PM
There goes the coolest looking kit in the peloton! ( the "?" jersey)

chakatrain
08-15-2007, 11:53 PM
...but UCI should really have understood the impact of increasing the number or ProTour teams from 18 to 20. ASO and other organzations, while certainly acting like selfish children at times, stated they wanted to determine which teams they could invite to their events; with the increase of ProTour teams, their choices would be more precontrainsted, causing more issues. You would think you could have seen that coming.

Tom
08-15-2007, 11:57 PM
There goes the coolest looking kit in the peloton! ( the "?" jersey)

Like Manet was showing. Pardon me, all that might be offended, but "Having one's buttons on" has been supplanted by "I like exclamations" in my personal lexicon.

Too Tall
08-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Cycling has never been above reproach why would you feel sorry for them? Personal sense of remorse that your heros feet are made of clay perhaps.

Basketball has it's own travails with officials caught in betting scandals etc. etc. The list is not limited.

Professional cycling may better served thru regional teams much like soccer...I'm beginning to believe for alot of reasons.

Your-Friend, do YOU see resolve, change agents or anything that offers some way to raise the level of credibility in our sport?

J.Greene
08-16-2007, 07:05 AM
It is another indication that cycling is not managed well on all sides. I think everyone can take some blame for where we are today. I'd prefer not to have a strong central body, but maybe it would be better.

Support local cyclists, it's more fun anyway.

JG

tomwd3
08-16-2007, 11:34 AM
IMHO the UCI tried to jam 2 more protour teams down the organizers throats.
Now 20 protour teams essentially filled the whole field in these races and left the "Local" organizers with little or no options to select teams that might appeal to the regional fan base (depending on race location).
ASO did all of the organizing and shoulders the vast majority of the risk.
I don't blame the for telling the UCI to take a hike.
I don't think that ASO's (& fellow organizers) behavior has been exemplary either, but I feel UCI started this mess.

Your_Friend!
08-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Cycling has never been above reproach why would you feel sorry for them? Personal sense of remorse that your heros feet are made of clay perhaps.

Basketball has it's own travails with officials caught in betting scandals etc. etc. The list is not limited.

Professional cycling may better served thru regional teams much like soccer...I'm beginning to believe for alot of reasons.

Your-Friend, do YOU see resolve, change agents or anything that offers some way to raise the level of credibility in our sport?

Silly Too Tall!

Their Feet Are Not

Made Of Clay!

Nor Are They My Heros!

But I Love To Race Bicycles!

And It Would Be Sad To Train _So_ Hard

And Then To Be Told: "No!" !!

What A Waste, There Is The Sad For Me!

A Solution, You Say!

That Is _Too_ Hard!

But More Centralized Power

Does Not Seem To Be The Answer!

Unless It Is Fully Endorsed By The Teams

And By A _Strong_ Riders Union!

Bicycle Racing In Europe

Has Existed As A Tapestry!

The UCI And ASO And ..WADA Cannot Be Allowed

To Have Too Much Influence

On The Future Of The Sport!

Maybe I Am Very Wrong!

But I Hope For The Best!

Love,
Your_Friend!

sspielman
08-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Verne, I'm only gonna say one word to you: Organized Crime.....

BarryBrown
08-16-2007, 04:32 PM
IMHO, The UCI is culpable. Their role should be to set and enforce the rules that protect the riders, race organizers, and uphold the fairness of the sport. Instead, they are like most other governing bodies of sport(IOC, NCAA, FIFA etc.), they are unemployment agencies for bureaucratic-minded, hypocritical, self-righteous twits who pretend to care about integrity when they actually care about being patronized.

You do have to feel bad for Unibet who put up a bunch of money only to have the rules changed mid-stream, but the ASO (whose reason for excluding Unibet is b.s.) should have to right to invite whichever teams they want.

Your_Friend!
08-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Friends!

I Clipped This Out Of Cyclingnews.com!

Unibet.com General Manager Koen Terryn has called on UCI President Pat McQuaid to resign. "Cycling needs stronger leaders. McQuaid is not the man to lead the sport in the future and it will continue to suffer unless there is a change," he said in an interview with the Reuters news agency.

Unibet.com, an online gambling company, announced earlier this week that it will end its sponsorship at the end of this season, two years early.

"The irony is that Discovery can't get a sponsor and we had one which wanted to continue but were forced out. This shows how badly run the sport is," Terryn continued.

Terryn blasted the cycling establishment, saying his team "was used by a pawn for power" by the UCI, Tour de France organizer ASO and Patrick Lefevere, president of the International Professional Cycling Teams (IPCT). "The sport should not allow the ASO to have so much power. They are acting like a cartel in a bid to break the UCI, so that is why we need stronger men to stand up to them," he said.

The ASO would not let Unibet.com ride in any races that it controlled, citing anti-gambling laws. McQuaid threatened to break with the ASO, but reached an agreement with them in March. Unibet.com was still not allowed to ride either the Giro d'Italia or the Tour de France.

"McQuaid lost the battle in March. He wasn't strong enough and gave in, allowing ASO to do what they wanted," Terryn said. "Lefevere is the head of his own team Quick.Step, so how ethical is it that he is involved in these decisions? He has his own agenda."

Terryn said he understood his sponsor's decision. "I don't blame Unibet. If I was CEO of a company, I could not justify investing eight million euro every year in a team that is unsure whether it will even race in the big tours."

crashjames
08-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Unibet played the odds, and lost. Seems with that much $$ on the line, it would have been wise to make sure you could compete in the ASO sponsored events.

So I think they deserve some of the blame here too...

nobrakes
08-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Imagine what ASO and UCI would have had to say to PMO, which is a gambling concern that sponsors the green jersey, had Unibet's Baden Cooke won the sprinters competition in the tour. Unibet on the front of the PMO green jersey! Heaven forbid-two competing gambling consortiums with their names on the same jersey. How would they deal with that kind of controversy? :eek:

Your_Friend!
08-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Friends!

Today I Feel Happy

For Poor Unibet!

Love,
Your_Friend!

Link! (http://velonews.com/race/int/articles/13147.0.html)