PDA

View Full Version : OT: Another HBO Series with an Ending

ti_boi
08-14-2007, 10:05 PM
So I tried to watch John From Cinncinati this season and succeeded in enduring the series, but couldn't really understand exactly what the babbling frantic dialog was leading to. Wondering if anyone else really cared about the show. I understand it was cancelled..... :confused:

handsomerob
08-14-2007, 10:39 PM
So I tried to watch John From Cinncinati this season and succeeded in enduring the series, but couldn't really understand exactly what the babbling frantic dialog was leading to. Wondering if anyone else really cared about the show. I understand it was cancelled..... :confused:

I saw every episode. The first few weeks really draw you in if you're like me and craving something that hasn't been done 40 bajillion times. Watching the last few episodes I have had to go back and watch them InDemand to no avail.

After the season (now series) finale, I wondered if that was it and went online to see what the deal was. There are websites that disect each cryptic line and give a hypothesized meaning. If half that ****e is the meaning, I am way too dumb to understand what the hell he meant anyway. Maybe it is better this way and I won't be goaded into another damn lame duck Sopranos finale.

Climb01742
08-15-2007, 04:46 AM
agree. first few episodes were promising. it was trying to go someplace different, new. but the last few shows just meandered and were totally unsatisfying.

"entourage", though, has gotten better this season, i think. funnier, too. i almost pee'd when drama said "i ***-f**ked her then made her ride her bike home." one of the most inappropriate yet spit-take funny things i've ever heard on tv.

csm
08-15-2007, 06:11 AM
it's gonna be hard to replace THE SOPRANOS. I've been watching BIG LOVE. JOHN FROM CINCI just didn't cut it for me. for all the hype, it seemed a bit dull.

Richard
08-15-2007, 07:37 AM
If you haven't watched this series, rent it, catch up and start watching when it comes back on. It is, in my opinion, one of the best shows ever to grace the television.

ti_boi
08-15-2007, 07:41 AM
If you haven't watched this series, rent it, catch up and start watching when it comes back on. It is, in my opinion, one of the best shows ever to grace the television.

I have heard that it is a masterpiece.....critical acclaim has been high....I never started it, but it would give something to 'fill the void'....I hated losing DEADWOOD, as I felt it was simply fantastic.

I wanted to like John from Cinn., as I love oblique philosophical inquires and surf culture.....but WHY did not it have to be so bad???!!!!

HBO!!! :crap:

93legendti
08-15-2007, 07:46 AM
agree. first few episodes were promising. it was trying to go someplace different, new. but the last few shows just meandered and were totally unsatisfying.

"entourage", though, has gotten better this season, i think. funnier, too. i almost pee'd when drama said "i ***-f**ked her then made her ride her bike home." one of the most inappropriate yet spit-take funny things i've ever heard on tv.

Ari Gold: "I parted the Red Sea for you...don't pi** in it". Comic genius.

MassBiker
08-15-2007, 08:12 AM
As far as I know Deadwood was cancelled to make room for John From Cinci as they are done by the same guy................I bet HBO are regretting that one!

They are saying this was an uaully bad year for HBO as Flight Of The Conchords didn't have the success they hoped and John From Cinci was a bust!

The Wire is a great show, worth catching up on and tuning in this season for sure!

:beer:

ti_boi
08-15-2007, 08:14 AM
I love Entourage (Pure fluff and fun, but ***)......and I love Flight of the Conchords....agree on the Comic Genius tag!!!

More laffs....less gaffs!

handsomerob
08-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I love Entourage (Pure fluff and fun, but ***)......and I love Flight of the Conchords....agree on the Comic Genius tag!!!

More laffs....less gaffs!

My wife and I have enjoyed Flight of the Conchords. Some episodes and songs definitely stand out.... here is my boy's rendition of the tape of love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SdlxVq-kg

here is my very favorite song so far...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY8jaGs7xJ0

slowgoing
08-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Watched it, like it at first, totally disliked it after about episode 4 when it got preachie.

The guys playing Butchie and Bill did a great job.

ti_boi
08-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Here is what the 'creator' of the show said --

Milch, who believes that the artist is “God's surrogate,” chose to have ordinary characters go through a profound experience of faith in order to make it easier for viewers to understand the complexity of the show's overall message. “The idea [behind John from Cincinnati is] that the universe is a solid system but [also] a series of waves,” Milch explained. “And that man is not an individual creature, but that his essence is carried from seeming individual to seeming individual [and becomes] available to surfers if they aren't loaded and selfish or if they don't become addicted to the behavior of surfing itself. Doesn't often happen.”

:confused:

Ken Robb
08-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I first heard of the show this am in the San Diego paper article stating that the town of Imperial Beach is very disappointed that it is cancelled as it was filmed there. When we ride around SD Bay IB is the southernmost point before we head north to Coronado and the ferry across SD Bay to SD and home.

ti_boi
08-15-2007, 10:54 PM
You guys live in an unbelievably beautiful place....I'd say that Milch did not deliver on a coherent version of the idea that he stated above. Our loss? Their loss....?

More on John....and HBO....

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2007/06/25/070625crte_television_franklin

sc53
08-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Half the cast of Deadwood was on John from Cincy and the curse-filled F'in this and that dialogue sounded like Milch just kept writing Deadwood for a surfer cast. Weird unwatchable show. Agree that The Wire is the best thing out there, rent the previous episodes and watch the new season. I have been hearing good things about "MadMen" on AMC.