PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars -- Bent and Busted, I need something new

gt6267a
12-28-2003, 07:18 AM
This summer, I had the misfortune of crashing into a guy on roller blades. To date, I have been denying to myself that my bars have a problem alla Ben Franklin. Did he not have a famous quotation about lieing to himself?

I digress, I am dedicating myself this winter to ensuring the bike is back to like new condition so that i am able to concentrate on riding this spring.

I currently own the Deda 215 bars. The are fine, but do not inspire a repeat performance. Personally. a bar with less drop and /or reach is acceptable.

The bike has campy gearing and a 26.0 clamp. I have read, maybe here, good things about the ritchey WCS bars.

Here is my questions, what bars do you recommend and why?

As well, I will be replacing the tape so recommendations in that arena are welcome as well.

Thanks and Regards,
K

soulspinner
12-28-2003, 07:45 AM
I have both Salsa Poco and Ritchey WCS bars on campy bikes and like both. The Salsa has a marginally shorter reach but less round area to attach shifters to. The WCS are really light but the Poco bars are a tad stiffer in the same size. Had a 3ttt bar before but both the WCS and Poco are better in the drops because the bump in the bar essentially shortens the drop. Overall I like the WCS better than any bar I have ever had, and Ive had a few. Note I have small hands and especilly short fingers.

Dennis

gt6267a
12-28-2003, 07:55 AM
soulspinner, i see that ritchey has the road, road classic, and biomax. which one do you have and recommend? the road classic is shorter by a few mm and seems like a good option?

thanks,
k

bw77
12-28-2003, 08:08 AM
Which Deda 215 bars do you have? They make 3 models,
anatomic, round shallow drop, and round deep drop.
According to their website the round shallow has a fairly
short drop (135) and reach (80).

Bruce K
12-28-2003, 08:16 AM
I have TTT Prima 199 bars on both road bikes.

They are among the lightest and have been very durable.

The reach and drop have been just about perfect for me.

BK

Kevin
12-28-2003, 08:22 AM
I have Easton EC 90s on two bikes and TTT Prima 199 bars on another two bikes. I like the EC 90s better. I think that they absorb road shock a little better. They also have a better fit for where I like to rest my hands on long rides.

Kevin

saab2000
12-28-2003, 09:20 AM
I wish that someone would come up with a new version of the classic Cinelli 65s!

It is not really possible to mount modern Ergos or STIs to them, though there are people who have done it. It just is not ideal.

I got a set of TTTs for free and at first did not like them, but with time I think that they are not bad.

Another bike has ITM, and I must say I like the bend. Deda's bend is not for me at all.

I have a set of Modolo Carbon Curvissima's just waiting to be installed on some bike. I must admit to being nervous about the carbon...... I wish that the same shape were available in an aluminum bar. Their aluminum version is not really the same.

Anyway, they are the closest to the 65s that I have seen and I am excited about giving them a try on some bike of mine.

soulspinner
12-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Yes Gt6267A, I have the shorter reach bars of the two WCS type. Just got back from a ride and didnt see your post till now.

Dennis