PDA

View Full Version : Got my Brooks...

benb
08-14-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm not worried at all about how this thing is going to look on my Concours. I guess the pictures on the web do not do them justice at all.

Took delivery of a Brooks Swift Ti in black today.

The design looks great... it certainly is amazingly hard... but I'm sure I'll have no chance of my shorts snagging on this particular saddle!

I'll probably try it tonight. Course I wonder if that is pointless since I didn't get any Proofide.

Ray
08-14-2007, 01:25 PM
I'll probably try it tonight. Course I wonder if that is pointless since I didn't get any Proofide.
Don't worry about it - just put it on when you get it. I helps protect the leather but it doesn't make it any softer. You're not gonna hurt it by riding a few times before you get the proofide. The Swift is hard, the Pro is harder, MUCH harder.

Good luck,

-Ray

fiamme red
08-14-2007, 01:41 PM
The Swift is hard, the Pro is harder, MUCH harder.To quote goonster (who is now in France for PBP):

"The ancient joke about breaking in a Brooks is that you boil it in a pan of water with a large rock. When the rock gets soft, you mount it on the seatpost and throw away the saddle."

C5 Snowboarder
08-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Maybe I see a little cottage industry here...
My Brooks did not need much break in - maybe 100 miles or so and I just bought another to put on my other bike. Maybe weighing 215 lbs helps break them in soon, wonder what I can charge to just ride and break them in for folks.. just like the ole bronco buster :banana:

CNY rider
08-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Don't worry about it - just put it on when you get it. I helps protect the leather but it doesn't make it any softer. You're not gonna hurt it by riding a few times before you get the proofide. The Swift is hard, the Pro is harder, MUCH harder.

Good luck,

-Ray

Unbelievable. I've got two Swifts; never been on a Pro. I could have driven nails with the Swifts when I first got them. Even now after probably 1000 miles on each they're none too soft......

Ray
08-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Unbelievable. I've got two Swifts; never been on a Pro. I could have driven nails with the Swifts when I first got them. Even now after probably 1000 miles on each they're none too soft......
I've had a couple of Pros, a couple of Swifts, and several B-17s. The B-17 is the widest and has the most give - I never had to break in a B-17 for it to be real comfortable. The swift is skinnier and has much less give, but is still sort of flattish across the top. Never did get comfy on one of those. The Pro is a little wider than the swift but is much rounder across the top and it's hard as a friggin' rock. They had some "pre-softened" ones that were harder than any other saddle I'd ever checked out. Except for the standard non- presoftened ones. Which are just transcendently granite-like. Really. Honest. Even broken in they stay pretty hard, but you do get some small indentations around the sit bones which spreads out the contact a little bit.

-Ray

benb
08-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Ok guys, I will fire off an email to the people at Wallingford but I do have a question and figured someone here might know.

I put the saddle on in the exact same position I had my other saddles in. Angle does seem to be tricky.

I rode about 20 miles.

Comfort on the skin is amazing. However I got pretty nasty pressure up on the front of the saddle by the end.

Here is my question.. just how tight is the tension supposed to be? The screw on mine is all the way in. You can push the center of the saddle down about 1cm with your finger.

I'm guessing I was sinking in too much which made me feel the nose? Should I add some tension?

I wore my worst shorts... not even the slightest hint of skin irritation. If I can figure out the pressure up on the nose I should be really, really happy.

Ahneida Ride
08-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Saddle tension is a preference But one should not sink profusely in the Saddle.
If so, tighten it up 1/4 turn at at time and go ride 10 miles.

I had a B67 and now ride a Ti B17. Breakin was minimal on both Saddles.
200-400 miles.

Load it first with Proofide top and bottom. Rub in well with fingers.
This is key to a fast breakin.
Ever 10 days or so, Proofide it again 2-4 times. Then Proofide both
top and bottom again.

The first time I used both Brooks, I knew the potential immediately.

The B17 Ti is defines comfort and will last for years !!!!

But then my *** carcass would break any saddle in fast. ;)

Small adjustments in a Brooks can make huge differences in comfort.
Do not be afraid to experiment liberally.

Without a Brooks, I would not be riding. Too painful otherwise !!!!
I'll get William on one yet !!!! ;)

dave thompson
08-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Ok guys, I will fire off an email to the people at Wallingford but I do have a question and figured someone here might know.

I put the saddle on in the exact same position I had my other saddles in. Angle does seem to be tricky.

I rode about 20 miles.

Comfort on the skin is amazing. However I got pretty nasty pressure up on the front of the saddle by the end.

Here is my question.. just how tight is the tension supposed to be? The screw on mine is all the way in. You can push the center of the saddle down about 1cm with your finger.

I'm guessing I was sinking in too much which made me feel the nose? Should I add some tension?

I wore my worst shorts... not even the slightest hint of skin irritation. If I can figure out the pressure up on the nose I should be really, really happy.
The tension screw is to take up for the streching of the leather over time. not for adjusting the comfort of the saddle. If you over tension the saddle, the leather will stretch too much too fast and a lot of the life of the saddle will be lost.

The keys, as I have found, to a good fit with a Brooks is when I first install it I loosen the tension screw and ride the bike for several weeks. Only then do I re-tension it and only to where the slack is taken out of the screw, just where you can feel the pressure when tightening it. No more. The second part is the angle of the saddle (nose up/down) As Ahneida Ride said; small adjustments make huge differences. Try lowering the nose just a teeny bit. A level and ruler will help.

You may have to reposition the Brooks some, it's not the same size or shape as your other saddles.

Try adjustments in small increments. You'll find the sweet spot!

C5 Snowboarder
08-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Tough part about riding a Brooks is not to be over anxious about telling your riding partners how sweet the ride is... :crap:

Ahneida Ride
08-14-2007, 11:07 PM
The keys, as I have found, to a good fit with a Brooks is when I first install it I loosen the tension screw and ride the bike for several weeks. Only then do I re-tension it and only to where the slack is taken out of the screw, just where you can feel the pressure when tightening it. No more.

Amen, I learned this trick from experimentation and a few posts here.
It does work Dave.

benb
08-15-2007, 07:55 AM
I don't know.. tried a different position this morning and it still hurt like hell in the exact same spot.

We'll see how much patience I have.

Ray
08-15-2007, 09:18 AM
I don't know.. tried a different position this morning and it still hurt like hell in the exact same spot.

We'll see how much patience I have.
Keep trying, but don't forget - not all Brooks' are created equal. The Swift is narrow for a Brooks, at 152mm. I ride an Aliante primarily (140) and never got comfortable on a Swift. I really like B-17s, which are a full 170 wide and was pretty good with a Pro, which is 160. Each of these is shaped differently in addition to being a different width. I wouldn't just compare to the width of your non-Brooks - you might have to try the others to find the right one. But don't give up on the Swift yet - lots of people like 'em.

-Ray

benb
08-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Pretty sure I'll have to try the Pro or something.

It just doesn't feel like it's supporting my sitbones properly. If it was sitbone pain I'd be patient.. but it's not.

I have a couple other saddles I need to give a chance too, which makes me want to send the swift back, since Wallingford will even reimburse the shipping if I don't put any visible wear on the saddle.

It's been over 2 hours since I got off the bike and it still hurts.

Ahneida Ride
08-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Benb

Something is wrong. I has no such pain. Right outa the box I knew that
it would work.

Try the B17 (Ti). It is a bit wider and it's length increases the hammock
effect.

Did you apply proofide? Release the tension screw all the way?
Tilt it up just a bit? (this works for most riders).

I have no pain in those sensitive areas.

Send me a PM if you want ....

A Brooks should not be that painful outa the box. I had some discomfort
the first 100 miles, but no pain.

fiamme red
08-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Benb

Something is wrong. I has no such pain. Right outa the box I knew that
it would work.

Try the B17 (Ti). It is a bit wider and it's length increases the hammock
effect.

Did you apply proofide? Release the tension screw all the way?
Tilt it up just a bit? (this works for most riders).

I have no pain in those sensitive areas.

Send me a PM if you want ....

A Brooks should not be that painful outa the box. I had some discomfort
the first 100 miles, but no pain.Maybe not everyone's anatomy is suited for a Brooks?

dancinkozmo
08-15-2007, 12:08 PM

It just doesn't feel like it's supporting my sitbones properly. If it was sitbone pain I'd be patient.. but it's not.

I have a couple other saddles I need to give a chance too, which makes me want to send the swift back, since Wallingford will even reimburse the shipping if I don't put any visible wear on the saddle.

It's been over 2 hours since I got off the bike and it still hurts.

pm me if you'd like to trade your swift for a mint condition pro (black, steel rails)

mschol17
08-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't touch the tension screw. The important thing is to have the part of the saddle supporting your sitbones level. This usually means the nose points up a bit. If it doesn't feel like you're sliding forward, then tilt the nose down a small amount. I started my b.17 quite nose-high, and as it broke in I was able to drop the nose down a bit.
I don't think switching to the Team Pro is going to help you, since I think the Pro needs to be tilted up more than the Swift. Hopefully dbrk will chime in on this, since he's the local expert.

Ray
08-15-2007, 12:41 PM

Try the tilt tricks first - I end up with a nose up position on a Brooks, which gets the rear part level. Everyone is a bit different. This can affect the non-sitbone pain. But if you can't get it to support your sitbones, it's probably the wrong model. If you try another, I'd probably go to the B-17 first, just because that's the Brooks that seems to have the highest success rate - almost everyone who tries it likes it. If you like that, you might also want to try a Pro sometime as well, but if you don't like the Swift, my guess is you're less likely to like the Pro than the B-17. Of course, it's all a crapshoot with saddles.

Good luck,

-Ray

William
08-16-2007, 06:42 AM
...... Without a Brooks, I would not be riding. Too painful otherwise !!!!
I'll get William on one yet !!!! ;)

Oh alright. Ahneida has been harassing me for years to try a Brooks saddle. I've resisted the late night phone calls, the cut & pasted letters, and the lit lighter fluid burned words "Brooks" in my lawn.

Does Brooks make a saddle that is close in cut to my beloved Flite saddles? I've ridden Flites since the mid 90's and haven't felt the need to change at all. Maybe I should at least give one a try......if anything to keep Ahneida from scratching the word "Brooks" on my bedroom window..... :no:

;) :D

William

Ahneida Ride
08-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Oh alright. Ahneida has been harassing me for years to try a Brooks saddle. I've resisted the late night phone calls, the cut & pasted letters, and the lit lighter fluid burned words "Brooks" in my lawn.

Does Brooks make a saddle that is close in cut to my beloved Flite saddles? I've ridden Flites since the mid 90's and haven't felt the need to change at all. Maybe I should at least give one a try......if anything to keep Ahneida from scratching the word "Brooks" on my bedroom window..... :no:
;) :D
William

Big Willy William.

I'll take a ride over and we'll switch saddles and/or bikes.

You will know within 5 seconds if a Brooks presents possibilities.
and Yes, Brooks does make narrower saddles.

The good News, Uncle Master Guro William, is that our Proponderous Posteriors will break any Brooks in real fast. No Brooks stands a chance against us.

400 miles and my B17 Ti is as soft as a Mommy's embrace.
Take that you weight Weinnies! :D ;) :p :beer: :banana:

Ps. I did not stick that potato (Brooks carved in) up your car's exhaust pipe.

Ahneida Ride
08-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Dont' forget .....

Run in the proofide well with your fingers. Do not use a rag.
The warmth of one's hand allows the Proofide to be absorbed.

I also recognize that a Brooks is not for everyone.
But is does need more fiddiling to get the position right.

Rided and adjust ..... Ride and adjust. take the tools with you.
That is how I found the sweet spot !!!

Ray
08-16-2007, 09:36 AM
You will know within 5 seconds if a Brooks presents possibilities.
and Yes, Brooks does make narrower saddles.

He'll only know if the B-17 presents possibilities. As I've mentioned before, the shape of the narrower ones is different. And I wouldn't even try to compare 'em to the Flites you love William. I'm really comfortable on a Fizik Aliante, which is most similar in width to the Swift and in profile to the Pro, but the Brooks I'm most comfortable on by a long shot is the B-17, which couldn't be less similar to the Aliante if it had to be. It's all trial and error and different models of Brooks are as different as a Civic and a Hummer.

Trust your own a$$ only in these matters,

-Ray

tad3
08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Benb wrote: "...tried a different position this morning and it still hurt like hell in the exact same spot."

I have ridden Brooks saddles (off and on ;)) for over 50 years. I currently have them on a Serotta and three Richard Sachs's. My experiences with the Swallow, the Swift, the Team Pro, and the B.17N have been to make adjustments BEFORE it hurts; you should be able to feel the difference. As others have said, a Brooks saddle may not be suited to your anatomy, although it has long been my belief that if I can sit for three hours on the wooden bleachers of a university gym during commencement, I can certainly love a Brooks.
Tom Donahue
Melbourne, FL

benb
08-16-2007, 10:23 AM
I took it off this morning.

Too hard to give it a chance right now, I'm trying to be careful with money and a $240 experiment is not one I want to partake in at the moment. Sending it back to Wallingford will get me a full refund and they'll be able to resell it as new since I didn't proofide it put any real wear on it.

I honestly think it just isn't the right combination of shape/width to hold my sitbones off the saddle.

I seem to get by with ~150mm saddles in some designs but I bet in the Brooks design I would indeed need the B-17 or such.