PDA

View Full Version : OT: Heaven gets a shortstop...

dbrk
08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Whether you love'm or hate'm, it makes no difference to me. I grew up with Phil Rizzuto as the voice of the Yankees, always a shameless home towner and with the inimitable Bill White, always fun. Phil would often leave the booth by the 7th to miss the traffic home to Jersey. He was a character and nowadays we have more celebreties and stars than real characters. I'll miss him 'cause it's another piece of my childhood that's moved on.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20263214/

Rest easy, Scooter, you likely have Jackie Robinson covering over there at third.

dbrk

Bill Bove
08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Yea tho I may be a die hard Red Sox fan I will miss Da Scudah. I used to love it when a game would go into extra innings and he would have to turn around and go back to the stadium to finish a broadcast.

Phil belongs in the Hall for his ability to move a runner into scoring position with his powerful bunting.

dbrk
08-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Yea tho I may be a die hard Red Sox fan I will miss Da Scudah. I used to love it when a game would go into extra innings and he would have to turn around and go back to the stadium to finish a broadcast.
snip...

To quote Scooter's boothmate Bill White, "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it -- it's a home run! A three-run home run for Bucky Dent and the Yankees now lead it by a score of three to two!"

Fond memories, ;-)

Bove knows I love him and his pink bikes.

dbrk

Bill Bove
08-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I was overseas in the service when that bastid hit that homerun. I still have not seen it, I avoid it when ever it shows up on TV.

During my Dads last years we got cable so that he could watch more baseball, he was a big, big fan. I have some great memories watching the Yankees with Messer, White and Rizutto and him. My Dad became a little farther gone today.

Climb01742
08-14-2007, 12:55 PM
and how many other great SS have ever been on a meatloaf song, i ask you?

victoryfactory
08-14-2007, 01:22 PM
RIP, Scooter,

Thanks for all those years of sincerity, simplicity and laughs

Take the 9th inning off and hit the bridge early for the last time....

VF

slugbottle
08-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Baseball players have awesome names and nicknames. Could a pitcher have a more perfect name than Early Wynn?