just wanted to get back to us fightin' over something that matters. :beer:

:rolleyes:

:D

:)

:banana:

compared to what?

sspielman
08-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Clinchers suck too...Oh wait a minute...That's not controversial...anybody who doesn't have his head buried up his arse knows that....As you were, gentlemen.....

m_moses
08-14-2007, 12:04 PM
only if you try to use it...

I think that was Climb's point. ;)

Dave B
08-14-2007, 12:06 PM
What are you a Nazi?

How many degrees of seperation did I get before I made a funny? :D

Too Tall
08-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Slow day in the office eh bub?

Dave B
08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
kids don't arrive until tomorrow and everything is ready, but I still have to make the doughnuts!

dbrk
08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Campy does suck, or is that blow? Tastes great! Less Filling!
Also, hairnets, helmets such worse.

Go Simplex!

db[anach]r[onisms'r'us]k

shinomaster
08-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Blasphemy!

dauwhe
08-14-2007, 12:38 PM
No matter what we argue about, we can all agree that riding a bicycle doesn't suck :banana:

Leaving for Paris in a few minutes, with a (sunflower) bike that has Campy, Shimano, SRAM, Nitto, TA, Berthoud, etc. Simplex will be on the next bike : )

!!!

Dave

dave1215
08-14-2007, 12:48 PM
No matter what we argue about, we can all agree that riding a bicycle doesn't suck :banana:

Leaving for Paris in a few minutes, with a (sunflower) bike that has Campy, Shimano, SRAM, Nitto, TA, Berthoud, etc. Simplex will be on the next bike : )

!!!

Dave

good luck at pbp, dave - you are an inspiration!

Erik.Lazdins
08-14-2007, 01:25 PM

!!!

Dave

Best of luck on PBP! Enjoy it and please post a writeup upon your return!

Enjoy the trip and the brevet.

bostondrunk
08-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Weird, I used to like Campy -and- tubulars. I'm now riding Dura Ace and clinchers, smoothest ride and shift performance I've had in a long time. Sad but true...

shinomaster
08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Weird, I used to like Campy -and- tubulars. I'm now riding Dura Ace and clinchers, smoothest ride and shift performance I've had in a long time. Sad but true...

Sober up and you'll feel differently.

bostondrunk
08-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Sober up and you'll feel differently.

possibly... :)

Bill Bove
08-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Oh yeah! Wanna know what else is sad but true? You can't sit with me at lunch anymore :p

Sandy
08-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Mean people suck.

People who mistreat animals suck.

People who mistreat kids suck.

People who mistreat old people suck.

Campy, Shimano, Clinchers, and Tubulars are all beautiful.

Sandy

OK- Campy and Tubulars suck a tiny little bit!! :)

Ginger
08-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Mean people suck.

Sandy

We'll have to ask Kevan if Sandy sucks or not.
I think he's wonderful, but you just never know.
Campy Ginger

shinomaster
08-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Mean people suck.

Sandy

Gifts of Vittoria rubber in the mail are beautiful! :beer:

rinconryder
08-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Campy looks better, DA performs better. When is Shimano going to get some carbon levers and get rid of the hideous cable routing off the levers...run the brakes through the hoods along with the shifters like Campy.

Bill Bove
08-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Campy looks better, DA performs better. When is Shimano going to get some carbon levers and get rid of the hideous cable routing off the levers...run the brakes through the hoods along with the shifters like Campy.

If you want chocalate to taste like vanilla just buy vanilla :beer:

michael white
08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
When is Shimano going to get some carbon levers .

we have a saying about something being about as useless as teats on a boar hog. I think that was the saying, I can't recall, but to me when campy starting tarting up with carbon it was like Vatican 2 all over again . . .

fstrthnu
08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Gotta say... I really like SRAM now that I am used to it. The ergo's on the hoods are just too good and in my eyes that is a major definer of a groupo.

jhcakilmer
08-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm new to the tubular scene, I just went on my third ride, with my ultegra 6500/DT DB/Campagnolo Barcelona 92 wheels. They are nice, but I don't get, or haven't gotten it yet.

Pros
More comfortable
cornering/tracking seems to be smoother/predictable
less weight (rim and tire)

Cons
increased rolling resistance
tubular glue (ugh!!)
$$$, especially if you puncture....

my buddy has a set of veloflex pave that he has under 100 miles on, and just punctured.....can this be repaired, and be reliable? Or is he out $70?

I really like the Barcelona rims!!

Ginger
08-14-2007, 06:09 PM
I had a post written...my thinking was that people like what they like lever action-wise. And those likes and dislikes probably feed down into performance of the gruppo on the bike.

Campy hoods fit my hands. I like the lever action and never have a problem with shifting performance and I've set my campy up myself. Certainly no expert in the matter, but it works basically perfectly.

I've ridden Shimano, and it's ok. But it isn't sweet. But I don't like the hood shape or the lever action.

If I don't like the levers or the lever action, I'm not going to like the gruppo.

Give it some love, it loves you back.

And yeah, he can learn to fix them himself, or there's a place in FLA that will repair your tubulars for fairly cheap.

steelrider
08-14-2007, 07:26 PM
ShimaNO swallows!

ti_boi
08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
It's kind of like any religion...........believe what makes you feel good, but they all could get you to heaven. :beer:

zank
08-14-2007, 10:58 PM
cross does not suck.

handsomerob
08-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Try 8 speed Ergolevers before you make that assessment. They are the shizzy, ATMO.

PK9
08-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Ginger wrote:
> I had a post written...my thinking was that people like what they like
> lever action-wise. And those likes and dislikes probably feed down into
> performance of the gruppo on the bike.

Overall, I couldn't agree more. For my part, I REALLY dislike the shape and feel of Campy levers in my hands. And, I don't like where that thumb thing is either. I'll take Shimano brifters, thank you very much.

But, as for the gruppo thing (and I realize this may be heresy), I feel fine about mixing Shimano and Campy freely -- or as freely as compatibility and smooth functioning will allow.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Climb01742
08-15-2007, 04:30 AM
Gotta say... I really like SRAM now that I am used to it. The ergo's on the hoods are just too good and in my eyes that is a major definer of a groupo.

there's the rub for me. hoods and hand-shift action are what we do/use the most and therefore have a huge impact on us. i have a hard time getting DA hoods placed on bars i like to give me a flat ramp but i love DA shifting. i dig how easy it is to get campy hoods placed right on almost any bar but i hate, hate, hate the thumb shifting. over time i suppose i could get more used to it but for me, it seems like a less elegant solution than either DA or sram lever action. otherwise, campy is cool; it all works great except for the thumb shifting.

the only thing holding me back from trying sram is cassette compatibility.

musgravecycles
08-15-2007, 06:27 AM
the only thing holding me back from trying sram is cassette compatibility.

James I thought you were a Shimano guy no? Shimano/Sram cassette's are 100% interchangeable...

Climb01742
08-15-2007, 06:31 AM
James I thought you were a Shimano guy no? Shimano/Sram cassette's are 100% interchangeable...

i was told that shimano rear hubs, like DA, aren't compatible with sram cassettes. was i misinformed? i am a shimano guy, and have a bunch of wheels with shimano cassettes. can i run sram with these wheels/cassettes? thanks!

Too Tall
08-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Garden Path = James ;)

Cheese! One of the local kids I coach rocks SRAM + Ksyrium SLs + DA cassette. That answer your question?

Climb01742
08-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Garden Path = James ;)

Cheese! One of the local kids I coach rocks SRAM + Ksyrium SLs + DA cassette. That answer your question?

josh, yep, answers the question. i was told that non-shimano shimano-compatible hubs (like mavic) can take sram cassettes. but this would be even better: to use DA cassettes on whatever wheel. i wasn't sure how well sram works with DA cassettes, but if it does, bingo! merci buckets, dewd.

cs124
08-15-2007, 07:11 AM
josh, yep, answers the question. i was told that non-shimano shimano-compatible hubs (like mavic) can take sram cassettes. but this would be even better: to use DA cassettes on whatever wheel. i wasn't sure how well sram works with DA cassettes, but if it does, bingo! merci buckets, dewd.

It's only the DA7800 cassette body that is the problem...it has deeper splines to prevent the sprockets gouging the alloy body. Non-DA7800 cassettes don't work on this hub. Otherwise Shimano compatible = Shimano compatible.

MilanoTom
08-15-2007, 07:50 AM
we have a saying about something being about as useless as teats on a boar hog. I think that was the saying, I can't recall, but to me when campy starting tarting up with carbon it was like Vatican 2 all over again . . .

Amen to that. It's pathetic when you have to go all the way down to Veloce to get polished aluminum levers. Of course, they work flawlessley (at least mine have), so that takes some of the sting out of the loss of snob appeal.

Cheers.
Tom

Big Dan
08-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Give me DA 9 anyday. STI or downtubes, they rock the same.....

:D

Marcusaurelius
08-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Not only do I like the feel of campagnolo ergo shifter more than shimano sti, they are infinitely easier to shift with thick winter gloves than shimano sti.

Fixed
08-15-2007, 08:52 AM
alu. bikes from china suck ..cos i got one and can't say or spell it
cheers

musgravecycles
08-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Climb,

Most of the Saunier Duval guys ran DA cassette's all year. From what I've been told they work better with SRAM than SRAM cassette's do.

I, like Dave, am excited to see the new Red cassette though...

Fixed
08-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Climb,

Most of the Saunier Duval guys ran DA cassette's all year. From what I've been told they work better with SRAM than SRAM cassette's do.

I, like Dave, am excited to see the new Red cassette though...
last longer too i bet cheers bro