PDA

View Full Version : Chicago to SW Michigan Bike Route?

tab123
08-14-2007, 08:59 AM
I have been thinking about riding from Chicago to SW Michigan (Berrien County, near New Buffalo, about 70 miles). I have the route but was wondering if anyone has done the ride. Is it OK to do solo during non-rush hours? Or is there so much traffic (or other hazards) that a group ride is the way to go?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

MarleyMon
08-14-2007, 09:24 AM
I have not done this ride, but
consider taking the South Shore to Chesterton or Michigan City.
I think you can take a bike on the train during off-peak hours.
I can't imagine it would be a pleasant ride, or safe,
on any route I can think of. How are you thinking of going?
I lived in Chicago for 9 years and Berrien Cty (Niles) for 5 - I liked riding
from Niles to the lake.

samtaylor1
08-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Have you thought about going through Canada. I have thought about doing this ride a lot, and someone recommended that. That being said, don't know how to do. This route found at adventure Cycling might help. http://www.adv-cycling.org/routes/northlakes.cfm

Osceola, WI, to Monroeville, IN
3 map set (1,088.5 mi.) overview | gps | buy
1. Osceola, WI, to Escanaba, MI
(395 mi.) detail | addenda | buy
2. Escanaba, MI, to Mackinaw City, MI
and Manitowoc Alternate (286 mi.) detail | addenda | buy
3. Mackinaw City, MI, to Monroeville, IN
(539.5 mi.) detail | addenda | buy

Good luck

tab123
08-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Have you thought about going through Canada.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I haven't retired yet!

JohnS
08-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Have you thought about going through Canada. I have thought about doing this ride a lot, and someone recommended that. That being said, don't know how to do. This route found at adventure Cycling might help. http://www.adv-cycling.org/routes/northlakes.cfm

Osceola, WI, to Monroeville, IN
3 map set (1,088.5 mi.) overview | gps | buy
1. Osceola, WI, to Escanaba, MI
(395 mi.) detail | addenda | buy
2. Escanaba, MI, to Mackinaw City, MI
and Manitowoc Alternate (286 mi.) detail | addenda | buy
3. Mackinaw City, MI, to Monroeville, IN
(539.5 mi.) detail | addenda | buy

Good luck Uh, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan isn't Canada...just sayin'

LesMiner
08-14-2007, 02:42 PM
I do not see a safe route out of Chicago through Indiana. You would have to go way south because the danger is not just traffic. I do not know how you could get through Gary without being beaten and robbed. Even if you were in a group and it would not matter how big the group. Strangers on bikes would be targets of opportunity.

Taking the South Shore is not a bad idea. You could get off at Miller which is the far East end of Gary. Or Beverly Shores and get on US 12 up to New Buffalo. US 12 is a wide two lane. I vaguely remember Highway 31 going off of US 12 that follows the lake shore.

Or find a route South to Chicago Heights and follow US 30. It's big and wide. Go to Valporasio and pick up Highway 2 then get on US 6/421. That goes up to Michigan City. Then get on US 12 on up to New Buffalo.

Sheldon4209
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
My stoker-wife and I rode New Buffalo to Chicago on our ride around Lake Michigan. It is posted at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=QzzM&doc_id=1875&v=Cr
Much of the ride was on rails-to-trails which can be found on line. We rode 421 into Chicago and it was a marked bike route or a bike lane. There was some heavy traffic between trails and I was glad that we did not have to stop for a flat tire in some parts of the ride but it was not too bad. My wife knows the route better than I do. If you pm me I can give you a better description of the route with her help.

Sheldon