PDA

View Full Version : Now, that's what you call: Cool!!!

Avispa
08-14-2007, 08:28 AM
I received my issue or RIDE yesterday. I believe this mag is one of the best pro-cycling related mags out there. There was an article about Andy Hampsten, the man that inspired me to get into this madness!

Check out the bike... And that tiny decal towards the back of the TT, :p ;)

19 years later, I still say: COOL!!!

J.Greene
08-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I received my issue or RIDE yesterday. I believe this mag is one of the best pro-cycling related mags out there. There was an article about Andy Hampsten, the man that inspired me to get into this madness!

He was my sports hero also. My friends who have met him or taken one of his tours all say very nice things about him. And we should all give Andy credit for being Steve's brother.

JG

SoCalSteve
08-14-2007, 09:13 AM

LandShark?

Just askin'

Steve

Fixed
08-14-2007, 09:17 AM
yeah bro that"s what he rode in the giro ..
nice pic of a cool cat ....snowing i think
cheers

jghall
08-14-2007, 10:17 AM
How times have changed, notice the downtube shifters and "only" a fist-full of post.

Big Dan
08-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Extra nice...........

J.Greene
08-14-2007, 10:27 AM
How times have changed, notice the downtube shifters and "only" a fist-full of post.

And notice the position. Proper position has NOT changed atmo.

JG

Climb01742
08-14-2007, 10:47 AM
And notice the position. Proper position has NOT changed atmo.

JG

+1
just looks right on a bike, doesn't he?

Kirk007
08-14-2007, 11:01 AM
yep - Landshark. John Slawta.

Bill Bove
08-14-2007, 11:21 AM
"when gods rode among men"

And take a look at those bars, no gay bars for Andy. Even with that pink jersey :D

Kirk Pacenti
08-14-2007, 11:24 AM

What is interesting to me is the "proportions" of the fame. The frame almost looks fragile compared to today’s rigs, but relative to Andy's physique also looks much more balanced...

Cheers,

KP

Fat Robert
08-14-2007, 11:30 AM
almost everything about that picture is perfect

the deliberate flaw in the tea room: the oakley TV screens/microwave ovens

Climb01742
08-14-2007, 11:36 AM
does anybody (steve h?) know how andy came to ride a landshark? how did the connection happen?

Steve Hampsten
08-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Andy's saddle is a touch higher than in later years and compared to his current position. Yep, it's a Land Shark - whatever happened to Wolber and Huffy? Descente is back...that particular bike is under a pile of rubble in Boulder but he's threatening to restore it.

It's funny to see a return to this style of frame and bike - hey, they still ride great! Nothing wrong with down tube shifters and skinny tubes, OR spokes that cross.

Andy still looks like that, too: skinny and fit, loves to ride his bike. Just has less hair is all...and better sunglasses.

J.Greene
08-14-2007, 11:45 AM
does anybody (steve h?) know how andy came to ride a landshark? how did the connection happen?

Slawta gave a presentation at le cirque a few years back. He was originally asked to build frames for the Levi's or Raleigh team(i forget which now) in the early 80's. Andy was on one of those teams. That is how Slawta said the relationship began. Slawta said he built those first frames in a metal shed in his parents back yard.

JG

Big Dan
08-14-2007, 02:03 PM
We need more pics............

:cool:

Fixed
08-14-2007, 02:17 PM
What is interesting to me is the "proportions" of the fame. The frame almost looks fragile compared to today’s rigs, but relative to Andy's physique also looks much more balanced...

Cheers,

KP
bro you know way more than i ever will.. but didn't they use bikes for climbing that were different than they used on the flat/rollong roads ?
cheers

boissy
08-14-2007, 03:58 PM
[/QUOTE]whatever happened to Wolber .[/QUOTE]

Mavic bought out Wolber, no?

Avispa
08-14-2007, 05:03 PM

Yo...

A while back, there was a post with extensive talk about this, but I will summarize for you:

In those days, True Temper = Crap! Tange = Much better!
Andy was/is a good pal of the builder, John S.

A!

vaxn8r
08-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Yo...

A while back, there was a post with extensive talk about this, but I will summarize for you:

In those days, True Temper = Crap! Tange = Much better!
Andy was/is a good pal of the builder, John S.

A!
Tange, Ishiwata...underrated tubesets of yore.

Big Dan
08-14-2007, 05:37 PM
:cool:

Kirk Pacenti
08-14-2007, 08:08 PM
bro you know way more than i ever will.. but didn't they use bikes for climbing that were different than they used on the flat/rollong roads ?
cheers

Maybe the tube gauges were lighter on climbing bikes, but back then all the outside diameters were the same.