PDA

View Full Version : scales of justice and going to bed hungry

Fixed
08-14-2007, 07:58 AM
wait this is about weight ...I'm coming back from a long down time so trying to be a monk again with diet and training no races in the future that is tough .. I admire you cats that can ride 300 miles a week and eat like a bird .. ..eat little train a lot get the body down to go with that 15 pound bike .. it ain't easy but if you want fly on the bike you have to pay not only the cost of the bike but the time training and with diet ...and like swoop said (go to bed hungry) that is tough I don't know if i can do that again .. imho
cheers

Jack Brunk
08-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Fixed,

I know what you mean. I've lost 15 lbs over the last eight weeks by reducing calories/portions and some days it feels like I'm going to end up in the ICU. What I'm doing now is the night before a hard traning ride, I'm eating a little more food with lots of carbs and fat. It seems to be working and once I lose the last three pounds, I'm going back to a normal calorie count. I will though maintain good portion control.

J.Greene
08-14-2007, 11:40 AM
176 a year ago, 140 now. I have gone to bed hungry a lot in the last few months. It's hard. I had no idea how much my life was intertwined with food.

JG

TAW
08-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Obviously there's no secret formula, and no easy way without sacrifice. I'm generally light, but will gain some weight during the winter, and have to shed some before racing season. My formula has been:

1. Eat much early in the day, less later in the day
2. Stay off the pop and cookies
3. Run--I race in some duathlons, so I run anyway, but in my opinion, nothing
takes the weight off like running, and it doesn't take as much time.
Cycling is so much more fun than running, but the more I run, the less I
have to starve myself.

swoop
08-14-2007, 01:32 PM
lots of blow and cigarettes.

92degrees
08-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I eat a lot. All day long. I raced at 150 last year and wanted to race cx below 140 this year. I will (137 today). Going to bed hungry is bad news. Going hungry is bad news. Lots of small meals of food that isn't super calorie dense is the least painful way to lose weight. Vegetables and lean protein are your friends. Healthy fats in moderation. Water! ATMO.

obtuse
08-14-2007, 02:02 PM

swoop-
i think she loves you.

jerk

Fixed
08-14-2007, 02:12 PM
bike messenger diet I'm tryin to cut back to many highs and lows ..
i'm trying to be like you cats ..imho
cheers

1centaur
08-14-2007, 06:35 PM
cheers

jerk's a cat.

I'm a dog.

Campy = Cats

Shimano = Dogs

Finish meals before you feel satisfied. Don't eat for 3 hours before going to bed. Don't make your body think it's starving and slow down your metabolism. I once saw someone not gain an ounce on 600 calories a day for 2 years, and she was vigorous and active and under 30 and thin. Make your body an efficient processor of energy and not a storer of fat (going to sleep while full and putting your body in starvation mode are too great ways to stimulate fat storage).

e-RICHIE
08-14-2007, 06:38 PM
bike messenger diet I'm tryin to cut back to many highs and lows ..
cheers
never skip lunch atmo.

shinomaster
08-14-2007, 06:42 PM
I've been gone all summer and now Atmo and the Jerk and Spinellio are back? What happened?
I lost weight this summer drinking beer, eating pizza and riding up to the ceramics studio twice a week.

David Kirk
08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
No eats = no recovery = no trophies.

Train lots, don't eat junk/empty calories and never, ever go to bed hungry. One needs to be light AND strong. Just light will only get sand kicked in your face.

Dave

A.L.Breguet
08-14-2007, 06:52 PM
David Kirk and 92Degrees.............they get it.

fstrthnu
08-14-2007, 07:02 PM
...then Ambien. That's the key.

92degrees
08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
David Kirk and 98Degrees.............they get it.

Thanks. Getting it helps with weight loss too.

72gmc
08-14-2007, 07:14 PM
...then Ambien. That's the key.

Waking up naked at the airport helps you lose weight?

Fixed, I'm no nutritionist but eating smarter rather than eating less makes sense to me.

Avispa
08-14-2007, 08:07 PM

Train lots, don't eat junk/empty calories and never, ever go to bed hungry. One needs to be light AND strong. Just light will only get sand kicked in your face.

This man DK, is wise!

I don't race now, just do my meager 180-200 m/wk. I never go to be hungry... I am about 142 and can kick some arse around here...

When I was racing in top shape, I was 145 + or - in the winter, 135 + or - in the summer... Never went to bed hungry...

So what's with this craziness of late? The formula never changes (unless you add dope):

Train right, eat right, rest well: go like hell!!!

Your_Friend!
08-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Fixed!

If You Can First Thing Of The Morning!

Try Riding For 1/2 Hr. To An Hr.

Without Any Eating! Then Eat!

Plus, What You Would Normally Do!

I Hope This Helps!

Love,
Your_Friend!

J.Greene
08-14-2007, 08:24 PM

Dave

that is the key when your already some what light. But when you need to lose 25%+ of your body weight to be competitive or even healthy, you need to go to bed hungry. It's not that you are starving yourself, your training your body to get used to eating the amount you should have been eating all along. And of course eating the right things is key plus lots of water. And of course good nutrition helps when you build fitness.

JG

hypnos
08-14-2007, 08:26 PM
....don't eat junk/empty calories....

Is red wine considered junk/empty calories?

fstrthnu
08-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Fixed!

I Hope This Helps!

Love,
Your_Friend!

+1

Fixed
08-14-2007, 08:41 PM
bro i hit the jackpot all my old bros came to help me ...thank you
man the collective knowlege of you cats is staggering .imho
cheers :beer:

e-RICHIE
08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
bro i hit the jackpot all my old bros came to help me ...thank you
man the collective knowlege of you cats is staggering .imho
cheers :beer:
don't forget the lunch of champions atmo -

Pete Serotta
08-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Oh it can't be>>>>>

Is red wine considered junk/empty calories?

Avispa
08-15-2007, 07:40 AM
that is the key when your already some what light. But when you need to lose 25%+ of your body weight to be competitive or even healthy, you need to go to bed hungry. It's not that you are starving yourself, your training your body to get used to eating the amount you should have been eating all along. And of course eating the right things is key plus lots of water. And of course good nutrition helps when you build fitness.

Yes and something else...? But I am not competing now and wasn't in a hurry to lose the weight...

When I took an extended break from riding I bulged to a round 185 lbs. And it took me less than six months to get to 150 lbs. That without going to bed hungry... But I had a serious training regime. My diet hardly changed. I keep junk food at a light-pole length!

The other 8-10lbs was easy. Maybe the quick weight loss has to do with one's metabolism speed, perhaps? and Age?

A!

93legendti
08-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Fixed!

I Hope This Helps!

Love,
Your_Friend!

Yes...reminds me of the days before our kids when I could do that...guarenteed weight loss. Now, I throw in a 2nd ride of the day, a light, easy 20-45 minute session after the kids go to bed -- it is almost as good.

92degrees
08-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Maybe the quick weight loss has to do with one's metabolism speed, perhaps? and Age?

A!

It has everything to do with metabolism -- which is exactly why you need to eat often and not go hungry. You need to keep your metabolism high -- eating less will slow your metabolism.

bobscott
08-15-2007, 09:02 AM
A couple of E-Richey posts. My day, no my week, is made.
bobscott

e-RICHIE
08-15-2007, 09:05 AM
A couple of E-Richey posts. My day, no my week, is made.
bobscott
!!!!!!!

swoop
08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
the saul raisin diet..a couple of protien shakes. hungry all the time. race dizzy, crash a lot from being dizzy.

the tyler hamilton diet (pre $80K dope program), drink diet coke, don't eat, get sick on the 4th day of stage race and get weaker every day thereafter.

paulh
08-15-2007, 09:29 AM
the tyler hamilton diet (pre $80K dope program), drink diet coke, don't eat, get sick on the 4th day of stage race and get weaker every day thereafter.[/QUOTE]

Plus crash a lot...... break some bones.... wave bye bye to all the team cars as you abandon.

3chordwonder
08-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Relax, red wine is the classic original bikeriding training food. Only premium red wine though. Premium red wine may be recognized by it being dispensed from glass bottles.

93legendti
08-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Relax, red wine is the classic original bikeriding training food. Only premium red wine though. Premium red wine may be recognized by it being dispensed from glass bottles.

The Banesto team, after training rides in Majorca in February, would often drink half a glass of wine diluted with half a glass of water at lunch. Seemed odd to me when I saw it.

Nick H.
08-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Fixed, I thought that despite your post count you just might be a bike messenger. Plenty of training miles in that.

Fixed
08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
bro it's all short stuff ..3 miles at a time ..I ain't huge gained 10 pounds when i wasn't riding for 8 months 6' 170 up from 160 ..been back riding for 3 weeks now... in a work day is around 30 miles but if you want to race being a bike messenger doesn't help in fact it hurts more than it help . ....imho lifting weights 3 times a week too... you need some upper body strenth to carry 50 pounds in a bag around town .
..I have my own office at the law firm i work at been here for 17 years ...I have some freedom
cheers

BumbleBeeDave
08-15-2007, 10:33 AM
the saul raisin diet..a couple of protien shakes. hungry all the time. race dizzy, crash a lot from being dizzy.

the tyler hamilton diet (pre $80K dope program), drink diet coke, don't eat, get sick on the 4th day of stage race and get weaker every day thereafter.

Fixed . . .

When I've consciously wanted to lose weight the following have worked well for me . . .

• Eat slow! It takes a while for the message to get from your stomach to your brain that you are satisfied. During that time gap it's easy to overeat.

• No soda. Diet drinks with no calories or water only.

• No chips! I'll eat my usual sandwich for lunch, but no chips and no dessert and just the sandwich would satisfy me if I ate slow. (see above)

• Always have breakfast but nothing big. I usually stop by the bagel shop for breakfast and I cut it from 2 bagels to 1 and just have minimal cream cheese and watch them as they put it on or invariably they give you too much--apparently in a well-intentioned effort to give you your "money's worth."

• When I'm riding watch the heart rate zones and consciously try to stay in the midrange zone that burns the most fat. Sometimes this meant going our riding by myself more because if I went with buddies we invariably ended up riding with our egos.

Good luck! :D

BBD

Nick H.
08-15-2007, 10:37 AM
So they send you out with a 50 lb bag for 3 miles, 10 times a day? And you've been doing this for a law firm for 17 years? Are you taking lots of files to court or somewhere? It seems strange they would get a cyclist to do it. Here in London a motorcycle courier or a van gets that kind of work. Unless it's through an area where motor vehicles are banned. Which city are you in?

Fixed
08-15-2007, 10:48 AM
So they send you out with a 50 lb bag for 3 miles, 10 times a day? And you've been doing this for a law firm for 17 years? Are you taking lots of files to court or somewhere? It seems strange they would get a cyclist to do it. Here in London a motorcycle courier or a van gets that kind of work. Unless it's through an area where motor vehicles are banned. Which city are you in?
the a.m mail the p.m mail ..files ..x rays are very heavy . most of the time it is not that heavy .. I 'm the only bike mess in tampa . I was using the office truck when i wasn't riding .. downtown is 3 miles away I'm in an area called hyde park kinda of a law district some times I go 1 mile some time 7 miles to a place called ybor city ..to the bank is 2 miles .coffee for the boss in the a.m. is 1 mile lunch for the boss is 2 miles ..parking is easy on a bike and short distance are just as fast as driving a car ..imho i also have office duties ..cleaning ..mail ..whatever
cheers no I don't work for Horace Rumpole though

Nick H.
08-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Being the only one in the city must be a bit lonely. I suppose if there was an alleycat you'd always win! Maybe on some of the journeys you could carry your load in a backpack and run? The weight would disappear pretty fast!

Fixed
08-15-2007, 10:57 AM
bro I got you cats
cheers
bro just about every law frim here has a cat like me most of the time they are called runners I just like to bike always have