PDA

View Full Version : Bar & Stem: 26.0 vs. Oversize

jeffg
08-13-2007, 02:31 PM
I just got my first bike with an oversize bar & stem combo, and like it quite a bit.

To be honest, 26.0 is more than adequate for me, but I have heard there are increasingly few choices in 26.0. The issue is that I want to replace the stem on my Legend and am wondering if I should just replace the bars too and go to 31.7? Deda Newton shallows and stems are available in both 26.0 and 31.7 for now, but for how long?

Dave
08-13-2007, 02:54 PM
When I first saw OS bars and stems, I thought they were really ugly, mainly due to the bulky faceplate on most stems. It was obvious to me that OS was becoming the new standard, so when I decided to try new bars last year, I went OS and sold all of my 26.0 stems.

My personal favorite OS stem is the Ritchey 4-axis. It's the sleekest design in OS and works great.

vaxn8r
08-13-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm not in a hurry to switch anything over. I guess if I was starting over maybe. 26.0 works fine and looks better ATMO. Deda bars work. I have them on every bike. There are a lot of handlebars out there designed by people who must not actually ride bikes.

cadence90
08-13-2007, 04:00 PM
I suppose it's a matter of taste/fit, like saddles.

I had 2 31.8 bars and on both I found the main issues to be annoying: the bulge from 26.0 to 31.8 occurred right where I like my hands on the tops and it bugged me.
Also, I had to modify my computer mount to fit on the larger bar.
I went back to 26.0 (Kestrel EMS Pro SL and TTT 199) and actually prefer them over 31.8. I found no perceivable difference in stiffness blah blah blah.

Bart001
08-13-2007, 04:48 PM
I switched to a 31.8 Easton Wing and love it. But that's putting the cart before the horse; I switched because I wanted a wider and different geometry bar, not because it's 31.8 vs. 26.0.

My Cateye mount wouldn't fit and had to be "adjusted." I think that the new Cateyes come with mounts for both 26 and 31.8.

chrisroph
08-13-2007, 05:47 PM
it don't make no difference really

kerrycycle
08-13-2007, 11:47 PM
As much as I hate to put this (see commentary below), if you want to mount relatively new aerobars, you will most likely have to use shims on the 26.0 which makes installation a pain (there is a trick for easier installation, however).

Commentary: I strongly dislike aerobars on a roadbike for personal reasons and had to constantly install them & remove them this race season for TTT. Yes, I know the solution to that is simple...get a TT bike.

Karin Kirk
08-14-2007, 12:07 AM
As much as I hate to put this (see commentary below), if you want to mount relatively new aerobars, you will most likely have to use shims on the 26.0 which makes installation a pain (there is a trick for easier installation, however).

Commentary: I strongly dislike aerobars on a roadbike for personal reasons and had to constantly install them & remove them this race season for TTT. Yes, I know the solution to that is simple...get a TT bike.

I'm with you on the PITA factor with the aero bars on/off/on/off, etc.
My aero bars are new and they mount fine on my 26.0 bars, but they are still a total pain to take on and off frequently. How hard can it be to design bars that have a relatively clean way to install them?