PDA

View Full Version : One Legged kenyan at Leadville...

chuckred
08-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Oh - one more thing...

There was a one legged Kenyan (lost his leg in a car accident as a child)...

He made it to the Columbine climb where mechanical problems forced him out.

At over 40 miles in, with two substantial climbs down by then (not to mention a gnarly descent), that's a worthy first effort!

Hope to see him back next year!

What a smile!

One Legged Kenyan (http://iwafula.com/index.htm)

MarleyMon
08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Great website and an incredible story!
I hope the mechanical problems were with the bike and not his prosthesis.
Man, he is really inspiring!

chuckred
08-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Great website and an incredible story!
I hope the mechanical problems were with the bike and not his prosthesis.
Man, he is really inspiring!

I heard from some of his support crew that he had to take the prosthesis off a couple of times on the descents. I spoke to Ibrahim a few minutes on Sunday -the mechanical issues were broken chain (twice) and brake related. He was very upbeat and I know made an impression!

He made it to Columbine - half way point - in 7:21. That's some perserverence - considering Floyd was drinking beer at that point!Results page (http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/rcrreport.ihtml)

mwos
08-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I met Ibrahim today. He was at the dedication of the Lowry section of the Swan Mtn recpath. He was very friendly and shook my hand. Yes, he does have a wonderful smile!

I did the climb once, he did it at least twice.

Kathi

pdxmech13
08-13-2007, 09:50 PM
I believe there is a film about him as well.

Dude
08-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Not to take away from any of his achievements, but I was at the track a few weeks ago and saw a one legged guy racing the track. It was pretty frickin cool.

chuckred
08-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Not to take away from any of his achievements, but I was at the track a few weeks ago and saw a one legged guy racing the track. It was pretty frickin cool.

I just am constantly amazed at the ability to overcome adversity. Inspiring..

"It's only a flesh wound..."

Dan Le foot
08-14-2007, 09:01 AM
I just am constantly amazed at the ability to overcome adversity. Inspiring..

"It's only a flesh wound..."

Hi chuckred.
I think the toughest challenge for me was climbing Quandray Peak. (14200' ) when we were in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago. Talk about overcoming adversity. And I'm not talking about my prosthetic leg. I'm afraid of heights. :D
It was my 1st 14er and something I'll never forget. Made the ride up MT Evans seem like a ride in the park.
Dan

Fixed
08-14-2007, 09:06 AM
good job bro we all have demons imho
cheers

chuckred
08-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi chuckred.
I think the toughest challenge for me was climbing Quandray Peak. (14200' ) when we were in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago. Talk about overcoming adversity. And I'm not talking about my prosthetic leg. I'm afraid of heights. :D
It was my 1st 14er and something I'll never forget. Made the ride up MT Evans seem like a ride in the park.
Dan

No doubt almost all of us could do more if we focused our minds on overcoming our self doubts or fears! I think that holds us back more than our bodies!

Dan Le foot
08-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Oh - one more thing...

There was a one legged Kenyan (lost his leg in a car accident as a child)...

He made it to the Columbine climb where mechanical problems forced him out.

At over 40 miles in, with two substantial climbs down by then (not to mention a gnarly descent), that's a worthy first effort!

Hope to see him back next year!

What a smile!

One Legged Kenyan (http://iwafula.com/index.htm)

What makes this guy special is that he is missing his knee. Way harder to ride than than a below the knee amputee.
And the Leadville 100 is about 10 times more difficult than riding a typical century on a road bike for a one leg guy
This guy is tuff.
Dan