PDA

View Full Version : anyone try the body geometry shoe wedges

jimcav
08-12-2007, 04:14 PM
just bought my 1st set of new specialized carbon road shoes (wore out the pair i got used). these come with the wedges that go in the shoe to offset natural pronation. anyone have an idea on how to decide how much to use--they come with 3 for each foot. i do pronate with running--not sure it matters for my cycling. was going to not bother, then was going to try just one shim, but maybe someone has already done it and can comment?
thanks
jim

Bill Bove
08-12-2007, 04:18 PM
I've been making my own LeMond type wedges for years. Trial and error, when it feels good stick with it.

regularguy412
08-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I've been making my own LeMond type wedges for years. Trial and error, when it feels good stick with it.

+1

Old Tupperware lids work great for this.

Mike in AR

aLexis
08-12-2007, 05:27 PM
just bought my 1st set of new specialized carbon road shoes (wore out the pair i got used). these come with the wedges that go in the shoe to offset natural pronation. anyone have an idea on how to decide how much to use--they come with 3 for each foot. i do pronate with running--not sure it matters for my cycling. was going to not bother, then was going to try just one shim, but maybe someone has already done it and can comment?
thanks
jim

I went to the first Specialized fit class they gave and it was taught by Andy Pruitt. I asked him about the shims and his reply was to try the internal shims and figure out which amount of cant suited you. Once that is determined, his recommendation was to take the internal shims out and use a wedge that was half the #. So, 3mm of BG shimming equals 1.5mm of LeTupperwedge.

As far as coming up with the ideal set up, start small and work up. Don't put all three in there to start off.

Peter P.
08-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Get on the Specialized web site; there are instructions on how to use them.
Alternatively, read Andy Pruitt's book. There's a method in there whereby you can visually inspect your feet for pronation/supination and adjust your feet appropriately.

Tip: Secure the shims insid your shoe with duct tape. If using more than one shim, tape each piece inside the shoe individually, otherwise they'll tend to slip out of position.

I bought the Body Geometry insoles without the shoes. They come with shims and instructions. My dealer was nice enough to help me pick out the insole with the proper support-there's a dealer device to do this; see the Specialized web site. I chose the Blue insoles. The shoes come stock with the Red insoles which provide the lowest level of metatarsal support.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/microsite/bodygeometry/main.html?x=y

They definitely are an asset even without the shims. I use the shims.

Tip: In the shims tend to "swallow" up some of the toebox space in your shoes, cramming your toes in the shoes, then consider trimming the insole an 1/8" at a time. There should be cut lines on the underside of the insole. I did this and it improved things for me, but I put the insoles in non-Specialized shoes.

Blastinbob
08-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I use the outside the shoe le wedge. I was fitted by one of Paul Swifts guys years ago. He has a tool he designed just for this job. http://www.przoom.com/news/16108/

jimcav
08-13-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm reading up on the how to use them as suggested.
for those that put them in the shoes or outside, what did you notice in terms of riding?
thanks
jim

CarlosContreros
08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Just cleated up my new pair of Spec Carbon Comps and I use
Look cleats and I'm having a problem with the "cleat-plate" for
the other cleat systems moving and rattling! :confused:

Any ideas on how to address this situation? :beer:

pdxmech13
08-15-2007, 10:03 PM
yes for the last 6 years