PDA

View Full Version : Leadville 100 course record

link
08-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Article (http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20070811/SPORTS/108110078&SearchID=73290034253765)

Fixed
08-12-2007, 10:40 AM
cool bro

thwart
08-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Hey, Floyd and I are nursing the same road rash today... cool. Probably the only time he and I will be alike in some way. :D

But, wait, he kept on riding for the rest of the race... naw, that 1 inch chunk of missing forearm would've left the bike awfully bloody if I'd kept going. Would've grossed everyone out...

Nice, nice morning here. Stuck perusing the Forum rather than riding... damn. :crap:

chuckred
08-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey, Floyd and I are nursing the same road rash today... cool. Probably the only time he and I will be alike in some way. :D

But, wait, he kept on riding for the rest of the race... naw, that 1 inch chunk of missing forearm would've left the bike awfully bloody if I'd kept going. Would've grossed everyone out...

Nice, nice morning here. Stuck perusing the Forum rather than riding... damn. :crap:

Sounds likethe worst accident was an orthopedic surgeon who broke his femur... another rider who is a paramedic stopped and attended to him until he was rescued, giving up his race in the progress. Well recognized at the award ceremony!

chuckred
08-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Article (http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20070811/SPORTS/108110078&SearchID=73290034253765)

One of the great things about this race is lining up at the same start as guys like Weins and Landis. Not something many of us mere mortals get to do very often!

Since it's an out and back course, as I was part way up Columbine, I got to see them coming screaming down. Landis was ahead by about 50 yards. Weins had a look of pure determination and Landis kept looking back over his shoulder. They were flying!

My crew (wife, both daughters) were set up right at the steep but short drop from the highway into the Mountain View aid station at Twin Lakes. Floyd made it part way up then fell over, couldn't get his pedal clipped for several tries. To the crowd's joy, Weins cleaned it!

A photographer on "the boulevard (last two mile dirt climb before the finish) reported to my buddy that Dave went by a couple of minutes ahead, kept looking back to see where Floyd was... Floyd went by and said "When does this race ever end?" Glad to see they feel the same way as the rest of us!

Dave was very gracious at the award ceremony. Got all choked up about winning #5. Explained that one of the great things about the race is that everyone gets to see the same thing - whether you do it in sub 7 or sub 12, it's still brutal!

The beauty of the mountains on the way up Sugar Loaf in the morning. The terror or Powerline. The view to the top of Columbine when you break out of the trees and realize how much farther the top is. The "heinous" ride up "The Boulevard".

He's a truly worthy champion and great to have as a crowd favorite. He is reported to say that if Lance comes next year, the time could be close to 15 minutes faster!

By the way...

I did finish under 11:30... by 5 seconds. Was aiming for 10:30 - 11:00, but went into survival mode about half way up Columbine and had to fight off cramps for the next six hours. What fun!

toaster
08-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Props to Floyd. Sounds like he could have won were it not for crash and flat tire.

Did Dave have to pee in a cup?

Too Tall
08-13-2007, 07:16 AM
42 yrs. old and not slowing down one iota pals. How cool is that?

Landis -
"....He was always better than me at mountain biking,"...."I'm not embarrassed at all to be beaten by him. He's the real thing."

chuckred
08-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Props to Floyd. Sounds like he could have won were it not for crash and flat tire.

Did Dave have to pee in a cup?

Floyd got a rousing welcome, standing ovation and the crowd was, if not unanimously, at least overwhelmingly glad to see him there.

Floyd was gracious, made some nice remarks at the racer/crew meeting on Friday. Said he was glad that we all scared Lance away, etc.

But, there is no denying the crowd favorite was still Dave. And he deserves it - besides winning the 4 previous years, he still came in the main entrance, went through the line and sat in the bleachers in a hot stuffy auditorium waiting for the racer's meeting. Floyd came in the back door, left and came back to make a few comments.

I recognize the impact that being a celebrity has, and understand that he can't always just blend like the rest, but so it goes.

Truly, the best two things about having Floyd there:

* the extra visibility for a charity that does a lot of good for that town...and

* pushing the level of competition up to a record breaking level.

Re: the crash and flat. There was no mention in the article that Weins also had a severely dinged wheel and had to ride much of the end of the race on 20 lbs of pressure, using care not to knock the rest out of his tubeless tire. He was OK on the climbs, but had to take it slower on the descents. Floyd was correct not to use it as an excuse. It's a long brutal day, and winning or finishing involves making the best use of your skill, fitness and equipment. Dave won, Floyd came in second. It was a great race!

I'm glad he was there, and I'm glad Weins won!

Dan Le foot
08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
By the way...

I did finish under 11:30... by 5 seconds. Was aiming for 10:30 - 11:00, but went into survival mode about half way up Columbine and had to fight off cramps for the next six hours. What fun!

Congrats chuckred.
Another epic ride. (Mt Evans too in the same 30 day span!!!)
It would have been fun to see you. We were in Leadville 10 days ago but had to cut our trip short since our home in San Diego was broken into.
Leadville was one of our favorite places in the Rockies. All our rides started over 10,000'. The ride around Tourquize Lake was my favorite of all times.
Dan

gdw
08-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Congratulations Chuck. It was a challenging race and Wiens and Landis were amazing. I've never seen the leaders pass by so far down on the Columbine descent before. Those guys were really smoking. Were you riding a silver Yeti?

chuckred
08-13-2007, 11:23 AM
REady for some recovery for sure!

Check out the link on my post about the One Legged Kenyan... very inspiring guy!

Ken Chlouber - the president of the Leadville 100 Legacy - confessed to telling him that it was too hard of a race for someone with only one leg. His son overheard him and reminded him that is not the spirit of Ken's famous words that "You're better than you think you are and you can do more than you think you can...". So, Ken called him back and invited him out...

I bet he's got a finish in him now that he knows what to expect!

chuckred
08-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Congratulations Chuck. It was a challenging race and Wiens and Landis were amazing. I've never seen the leaders pass by so far down on the Columbine descent before. Those guys were really smoking. Were you riding a silver Yeti?

One of my Team Evergreen Racing teammates was riding a silver one though... you may have seen him.

It was a rush to see them on the way down!

gdw
08-13-2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03nxFvfVLQ

link
08-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Sounds likethe worst accident was an orthopedic surgeon who broke his femur...

AT&T hill is not a place to pass on the descent because there's only one line and hell on either side. I hear this guy "on your left" and I'm saying "no, NO...". There's a med station below that saw the whole thing. That's what happened to the doctor.

Gotta give credit to the Flight For Life crew. The doc was in the air 20 minutes after the crash. You figure 5 minutes to warm the bird up in Frisco and 15 minutes to fly - land - gurney - triage - lift. That's pretty darn impressive.

link
08-16-2007, 11:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03nxFvfVLQ

Ha!

I used to live on west 6th in the 2nd block ...the old historic May house. I owned, loved and restored that ole house for 4 years. I used to watch the 100 start every year I lived there. Truly a magic moment -

Early morning
Alpenglow turning white painted houses into pink
Cup of pressed jo
The roar of tires descending from the start
The shiver up my spine
The dream of starting that race one day

Then one day I realized that I was never going to find a gal while livin' in da Lead. So, I sold the house and bought a condo in Vail.

I hit my PR this year - sub 10 :)

chuckred
08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
AT&T hill is not a place to pass on the descent because there's only one line and hell on either side. I hear this guy "on your left" and I'm saying "no, NO...". There's a med station below that saw the whole thing. That's what happened to the doctor.

Gotta give credit to the Flight For Life crew. The doc was in the air 20 minutes after the crash. You figure 5 minutes to warm the bird up in Frisco and 15 minutes to fly - land - gurney - triage - lift. That's pretty darn impressive.

That sharp left, off camber, loose, rutted turn is tough enough just trying to make it through on your own! No reason to pass there - there's unlimited passing space right after, at worst you might lose 10 seconds - vs. a horrible accident!

Good job on your sub 10!

crossjunkee
08-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Hopefully I'll get in next year. Is there a trick to the entrance lottery?

Good job to the finishers. Who got a buckle?

ejh
08-16-2007, 04:13 PM
yes, if you volenteer for the run you will almost always get in. Eric

crossjunkee
08-16-2007, 04:16 PM
yes, if you volenteer for the run you will almost always get in. Eric

Thanks!

chuckred
08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Hopefully I'll get in next year. Is there a trick to the entrance lottery?

Good job to the finishers. Who got a buckle?

Third one.

Trick to the lottery is to be a volunteer as ejh mentioned (pretty much sure-fire), finish under 12 (not sure how many finished guarantee a spot, but they like to give people a chance to go for the 1000 mile buckle)- or just get lucky (much harder now!). Or, win the Tour de France...

gdw
08-16-2007, 04:59 PM
6th one.

As chuckred said, volunteer to work the run this weekend and you'll be in next year. You can also bypass the lottery by registering for all the events like ejh. I'd advise you volunteer as it is less expensive and a lot less painful.

crossjunkee
08-16-2007, 06:02 PM
The run is this weekend, and I'll be out of town. Of course it's the last event this year. Thanks for the advice though!

I'd be up for some fall mtn. bike rides too. Shoot me a PM if anybody would like to go.