PDA

View Full Version : Sidi vs. Northwave sizing

BumbleBeeDave
08-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Does anyone have any idea how the sizing on Northwave and Sidi shoes compares? I usually wear 45 or 46 standard width in Sidi and have a chance at a good deal on a nice pair of Northwaves, but I'm not sure how the sizing compares.

Any ideas on what size Northwave I would take? Thanks! . . .

BBD

cadence90
08-11-2007, 04:44 PM
I think there was just a big thread on this topic (not just Side/NW), if you search. I think it was maybe 6 or so weeks ago?

BumbleBeeDave
08-11-2007, 05:00 PM
. . . under "Northwave" and "sizing" and got a few threads, but nothing in those made a direct comparison.

I guess my question is whether a 46 Northwave is really equivalent to a Sidi 46. In my experience with the Sidi's a 45 is just about perfect width-wise but a tiny bit short in length. A 46 is great lengthwise but I have to ratchet the straps down pretty far. But this does give me room for thicker socks for winter riding. These Northwaves I'm looking at are their winter-specific shoes, so a bit of extra room for those thicker socks would be great.

BBD

cadence90
08-11-2007, 05:06 PM
I think this was the thread BBD: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=30535. Perhaps you already saw it.

I don't have the answer to your specific question, having never fit into Northwaves, and even in that thread some of the answers are contradictory.

Bart001
08-11-2007, 05:07 PM
1. Go to Northwave.com and use the dealer locator

2. Go to a local dealer and try them on.

3. Buy SOMETHING from said dealer because you feel bad about taking up their time just to buy elsewhere :beer:

(I know . . painfully obvious!)

dancinkozmo
08-12-2007, 06:55 AM
i take a 42.5 in northwave and a 44 in sidi...fyi

boneman
08-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I take a 40 in Northwave, Evolutions and Aerator. Sidi, use a 41 mega. Toe box in some, not all, Nortwaves is pretty big if you have wide feet.

Pete Serotta
08-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Dave, call Mike or DEAN on MONDAY (or this afternoon) at CYCLESPORT 201-391-5269 and ask the question. Tell them you are a friend of mine and that I will share some additional red with them next week for the answer :p .

They sell both brands.... PETE

BumbleBeeDave
08-12-2007, 05:30 PM
. . . and Pete, I'll call your friends tomorrow. These are the guys who sold you your ONE bike? :rolleyes:

BBD

Pete Serotta
08-13-2007, 07:07 AM
yep///// :D ;)

. . . and Pete, I'll call your friends tomorrow. These are the guys who sold you your ONE bike? :rolleyes:

BBD

MilanoTom
08-13-2007, 07:35 AM
My "dress" shoe size is 8, and my foot is slightly narrower than the norm. I take a 41.5 in most shoes, a 40.5 in Northwave, and 42 in Sidi.

One big caveat, though. After having no trouble with the fit in four pairs of Italian-made Northwaves (both road and MTB), I just bought (mail order) a pair of Northwave Aerator MTB shoes (Chinese-made) in 40.5 and they were WAY too wide.

As was recommended by another poster, if you want Northwave, it would be worthwhile to try them on and buy them locally.

Regards,
Tom

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2007, 07:42 AM
. . . because I know their sizing and know it's consistent. But these are overstock Northwave winter shoes, so I doubt I would find any locally. I'll call Pete's friends and see what they say, then decide what to do. But I really appreciate all the advice!

BBD

jberk
08-14-2007, 03:55 PM
a lot of the mail order companies have sizing comparison charts on their website or in their catalogs.

roman meal
08-14-2007, 07:54 PM
. . . under "Northwave" and "sizing" and got a few threads, but nothing in those made a direct comparison.

I guess my question is whether a 46 Northwave is really equivalent to a Sidi 46. In my experience with the Sidi's a 45 is just about perfect width-wise but a tiny bit short in length. A 46 is great lengthwise but I have to ratchet the straps down pretty far. But this does give me room for thicker socks for winter riding. These Northwaves I'm looking at are their winter-specific shoes, so a bit of extra room for those thicker socks would be great.

BBD

BBD

For cross I have a 45 sidi dominator, and a road 45.5 mega. Both are fine for my foot, a wide american 12, UK11.

megas have few ratchets left, cross ones are newer and fine and fit a bit tighter, which I like for cross.

I have size 46 northwave evolutions that come out almost a size larger than the 45.5 mega, longer and wider.

I consider the northwave 46 to be a 12.5 american. They are much bigger than the sidis, much more than a 1 or .5 difference in comparison would indicate.

best-

roman
Vince
Durham, NH

BumbleBeeDave
08-14-2007, 07:57 PM
. . . a Northwave 45 is going to be larger than a Sidi 45--plenty larger to take a thick woolen sock?

BBD

roman meal
08-14-2007, 08:12 PM
. . . a Northwave 45 is going to be larger than a Sidi 45--plenty larger to take a thick woolen sock?

BBD

I think so, based upon my comparisons with nw evolutions and sidi dominators. I would bet that the northwave 45 is larger than the sidi. Bout' a .5 cm, at least. But, I'm talking from my experience with the nw evolution, with may be different than the winter shoe. Who knows of they have already built in extra room for the winter shoe to accommodate thicker socks? Proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

northwave evolution 46 is about a full size wider and longer than a 45.5 mega sidi, not .5