PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 with Shimano cassette?

taz-t
08-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Does anybody have experience running Campy 10 speed with a Shimano 10 speed cassette?

I've run Campy 9speed with Shimano (and SRAM) 9spd cassettes with no problems - over about 10k miles on two bikes.

Will I have the same luck with 10speed or does it get more finicky with the narrower chain and spacing? I've got a bunch of Shimano compatible wheels and a particular wheelset that I want to use (Mavic SSC w/shimano cassette).

If it works, what chain do you use?

Thanks,
taz

bigbill
08-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Does anybody have experience running Campy 10 speed with a Shimano 10 speed cassette?

I've run Campy 9speed with Shimano (and SRAM) 9spd cassettes with no problems - over about 10k miles on two bikes.

Will I have the same luck with 10speed or does it get more finicky with the narrower chain and spacing? I've got a bunch of Shimano compatible wheels and a particular wheelset that I want to use (Mavic SSC w/shimano cassette).

If it works, what chain do you use?

Thanks,
taz

I have had good luck with American Classic 10 speed cassettes. Kind of heavy, but very durable and only $69 at www.lickbike.com. I use wipperman chains because I have a few left. After that, I will go back to campy chains.

dbrk
08-11-2007, 03:25 PM
snip... Will I have the same luck with 10speed or does it get more finicky with the narrower chain and spacing? ...snip...Thanks, taz

You are quite right that nine worked well across platforms but I am sorry to say, not ten. If you can get this to operate satisfactorily please let me know but it's just not quite right--- and I am not a fan of dedicated systems (for reasons of corporate defiance more than anything rational) and I've not been able to accomplish what you propose. Good luck!

dbrk

Orin
08-11-2007, 06:54 PM

Yes, use one of these: http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

It doesn't work well otherwise.

I'm running Shimano Dura-Ace chain at the moment as it was on sale.

(Also using a Shiftmate to run Campy 9 speed shifters with Shimano 9 speed MTB derailleur and cassette - shifts as well as anything else I've used.)

Orin.

SadieKate
08-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Haven't tried it with a 10-spd system, but the Jtek is superb on 9 speed. I love Campy shifting but need a big Shimano cassette for some of the little "bumps" we have here in California.

-dustin
08-11-2007, 09:54 PM
i had little luck mixing 10sp drivetrains with 10sp drivetrains. Campy 10 with a Shimano 9sp cassette worked pretty damn well, though.

thwart
08-12-2007, 12:16 AM
Wheels Manufacturing also makes a conversion cassette that works well for Shimano wheels on a Campy 10 speed drivetrain. They make an 11-27 that offers a ratio spread that's hard to find elsewhere...

However, fairly pricey at MSRP.

djg
08-12-2007, 08:04 AM
There's also Mavic's own conversion cassette. I have one just sitting around in 11 x 23 I think.