PDA

View Full Version : Need a suggestion for new cables

imp25rs
08-11-2007, 01:45 PM
It has been about 10 years since I have replaced cables on a bike. I need to replace the shifter cables on my MTB. I used to use Gore Ride-On cables on all my bikes but haven't seen them at the store lately. What are the best one out there? The Aztec cables seem to be similiar to what the Gore cables were, with the liner that goes the entire length of the cable.

Basically what I am after is what are you using and how do you like them?

dave thompson
08-11-2007, 01:53 PM
I "tried" Aztec cables and almost instantaneously removed them. A giant pain to install, marginal (if any) performance and a total waste of my money. The only good part is that I can use pieces of the inner liner to keep the cables clean where they pass under the bottom bracket.

Now I just use the best quality Shimano cables. They work.

mjb266
08-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Agreed, Aztec suck. Go Shimano

regularguy412
08-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Shimano makes cables that are teflon coated. These appear gray in color (not shiny metal) and may be the ones to which Dave is referring. Just this week, I replaced the cable and housing on my TG. I chose to get the DA cable/housing sets for both ders and brakes. When I next change cables only, I'm gonna try the teflon coated ones. The Serotta fitter at my LBS swears by them.

Mike in AR

weiwentg
08-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Shimano makes cables that are teflon coated. These appear gray in color (not shiny metal) and may be the ones to which Dave is referring. Just this week, I replaced the cable and housing on my TG. I chose to get the DA cable/housing sets for both ders and brakes. When I next change cables only, I'm gonna try the teflon coated ones. The Serotta fitter at my LBS swears by them.

Mike in AR

I used a set of Airborne cables, which were teflon coated. the coating wore off, and the set didn't shift all that well. I imagine that Shimano's teflon-coated cables are higher quality, but I think that good stainless steel cables are all we need. Campy doesn't make teflon coated cables.

SoCalSteve
08-11-2007, 05:04 PM
+1 for Shimano...

Go to Excel.com and buy their XTR cables and housing, you wont go wrong...

Or, go to Mikki's new site, I have a feeling she will have something even better...(did I just say that)?

Just sayin'

Steve

Bill Bove
08-11-2007, 05:50 PM
I use a generic stainless steel cable that I buy from J&B importers, you can get them at your LBS :) I put a little dab of "Cable Magic" on them www.rocklube.com and change them once or twice a year. No problems on my Campy drive trains.

taz-t
08-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Or, go to Mikki's new site, I have a feeling she will have something even better...(did I just say that)?

Just sayin'

Steve

I don't know what this means...

but I probably agree with it.

- taz

SoCalSteve
08-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I don't know what this means...

but I probably agree with it.

- taz

Here ya go:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=31537

Enjoy!

Elefantino
08-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Lube your cables. Change 'em every season.

Generics work.

If you want bling, go Nokon.

Needs Help
08-12-2007, 03:26 AM
If you want cables that will corrode and then creak and also rub the paint off your bike, then definitely go Nokon.

weaponsgrade
08-12-2007, 03:41 AM
I use generic teflon lined housing with regular stainless steel cables. It's a lot cheaper than the fancy stuff, works just as well and I don't feel like I'm throwing money down the drain when I change it out each year or as needed.

Elefantino
08-12-2007, 05:16 AM
If you want cables that will corrode and then creak and also rub the paint off your bike, then definitely go Nokon.
I guess they can pretty much not count on your endorsement, eh?

My bud has Nokons on his 'Dales and swears by them. Of course, he works PT at a LBS so maybe they give them better ones.

soulspinner
08-12-2007, 06:55 AM
I use generic teflon lined housing with regular stainless steel cables. It's a lot cheaper than the fancy stuff, works just as well and I don't feel like I'm throwing money down the drain when I change it out each year or as needed.

yep