PDA

View Full Version : WayOT: Fangio and Brabham!

A.L.Breguet
08-10-2007, 05:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbc5U6***Uw

soulspinner
08-10-2007, 05:35 PM
WMF was the greatest of all time! I know you cant compare eras but...... :cool:

A.L.Breguet
08-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Fangio=Merckx

csm
08-10-2007, 06:17 PM
andretti equals mercx

A.L.Breguet
08-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Schumacher=Armstrong?

Flat Out
08-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Guys. Please. We all know the greatest was Jim Clark. In fact...

"In my opinion, Jim Clark was by a league the greatest racing driver ever." - Juan Manuel Fangio

The W196 Monoposto is one of my favorite F1 cars.

A.L.Breguet
08-10-2007, 06:42 PM

"In my opinion, Jim Clark was by a league the greatest racing driver ever." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Ouch, ya got me.
:D

Bruce K
08-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Wait for it....

Here it comes...

The greatest owner was Lord Hesketh. Now THERE was aman who knew how to PARTY !!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

And he hired the perfect driver.... James "The Shunt" Hunt. :banana: :banana:

BK

rounder
08-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Fangio and Brabham was great. Thanks.

thwart
08-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Great film! The way those two threw the cars around was fun to watch. Thanks! :beer:

Bruce K
08-10-2007, 09:03 PM
But seriously, that was when the drivers really drove the cars rather than piloting the technology.

Even the worst of those guys would have been a star in todays cars. I'm not sure it goes the other way.

BK

Flat Out
08-10-2007, 10:22 PM
But seriously, that was when the drivers really drove the cars rather than piloting the technology.

Even the worst of those guys would have been a star in todays cars. I'm not sure it goes the other way.

BK

Well, to be fair. I'm not sure Fangio in his prime would fit in a modern F1 cockpit. :)

But, yeah, I definitely can't picture drivers like Sakon Yamamoto or Adrian Sutil hustling a Lotus 49 around the Nordschleife. :)

Ken Robb
08-11-2007, 12:43 AM
At the Monterey Historics in 1985 I got Juan and Phil Hill's autograph on my official poster. I was about to get Jackie Stewart's too (3 world champs) when some Ford PR puke dragged him off to meet some high-rollers.

I was at the Mercedes dinner at the Racquet Club that evening and sitting next to Briggs Cunningham. We chatted about what we had done that day and Mr. Cunningham asked me if I had the poster with me. Did I ever! He said he would be honored to sign on the same poster as those two gentlemen so I went to the car and got it--he signed it--cool souvenir on my wall--but 3 world champs would have been even better. I never asked anyone for an autograph before or since unless you count the time I leased the home Tom Cruise lived in while filming "TOP GUN". That came with a check.

soulspinner
08-11-2007, 06:37 AM

Fangio won with 3 world champ in diff types of cars(total of 5) and like Clark didnt always have the best one...he didnt need it. If Clark were alive hed tell you who was what. Fangio was being modest.

Flat Out
08-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Fangio won with 3 world champ in diff types of cars(total of 5) and like Clark didnt always have the best one...he didnt need it. If Clark were alive hed tell you who was what. Fangio was being modest.

Don't get me wrong JMF was brilliant, especially considering his age and the equipment he was using. As someone said before it's pretty much apples to oranges. Hard to compare Fangios to Clarks to Sennas to Schumis.

csm
08-11-2007, 08:10 AM
aj foyt was pretty good too. he and andretti both won multiple championships in different series and types of cars.
I think you'd be surprised at the level of talent that exists in almost any form of racing. I think you take a 2007 back marker in the f1 series and put him into any other kind of race car from any generation and you will see quick laptimes.

GoJavs
08-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Fangio and Brabham are a little before my time. Growing up in Puerto Rico, we'd cut newspaper clippings of whatever F1 results we could find. Then we'd wait a couple of months for the write-up on the races on Road & Track!

The top guys back then: Piquet, Villeneuve, Jones, Reutemann.... :)

A.L.Breguet
08-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Sounds like a lot of you guys are already in the know, but check out Cars at Speed and The Cruel Sport by Robert Daley. Amazon has 'em both.

Flat Out
08-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Sounds like a lot of you guys are already in the know, but check out Cars at Speed and The Cruel Sport by Robert Daley. Amazon has 'em both.

Wow, that's too weird. I'm heading out of town on vacation tomorrow and I threw Cars At Speed in the suitcase! Both outstanding books. Very strange to think that in the late 50's and early 60's more than half of the drivers on the grid would eventually die behind the wheel of a racecar. Those guys had very large "attachments".