PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Discovery/US Postal?

Moosedryvr
08-10-2007, 06:57 AM
According to Cyclingnews Johan will announce today that he has been unable to find a sponsor to replace Discovery and that the team will disband at the end of the year. Wow. Based on all that is/has gone on over the last few months I am not surprised, but I am, too (if that makes any sense). When was the last time that a team with 2 of 3 podium finishers in the TdF couldn't find the money to continue operations? Ever?
My emotions are mixed on this one. I, like many of those frequenting this forum came back to cycling after a long break during the glory years of US Postal (early 2000s) and thoroughly enjoyed watching them dominate the TdF during this period. As I've matured as a cyclist and become more saavy (critical?) in the ways of the pro peloton, my admiration for JB/LA & Co, has waned, bottoming out last fall with the hiring of Ivan Basso. I truly believe that the fix to the current doping situation in cycling will have to come from the sponsors (kudos to Rabbobank for forcing the team to fire Raz while wearing the malliot jaune). Maybe Johan's inability to find a sponsor will get the word out to team mgt that winning at "all costs" is no longer a guarantee for success in keeping your team funded. We'll see. All that being said, I think cycling will be poorer as a sport without a "US" based team in the mix. Go Slipstream, I guess.

Shawn G

dave thompson
08-10-2007, 07:56 AM
From CyclingNews:

"Discovery disbands
Tailwind Sports has announced the end of the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team today, confirming rumours that cropped up when the team failed to announce a new sponsor after the team won the Tour de France. The team was given notice that the Discovery Channel would not renew its sponsorship back in February, leading to a long and intensive search for a replacement sponsor."

Rest of article here" http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/aug07/aug10news3

Fixed
08-10-2007, 08:00 AM
bro we should have know when G.H. was shopping for a team imho cheers

Avispa
08-10-2007, 08:04 AM
What a relief!

Hopefully I won't have to hear about Lance, etc. for some time!

Now let's move on and watch how many of those "clean" riders get busted... :D

A!

Erik.Lazdins
08-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Provided this isn't a last attempt at getting a potential sponsor's interest - this is bad news for money flowing into pro cycling if the most successful team program cannot secure sponsorship. Add to it that Credit Agricole is done as well. Mapei pulled out a few years back...

A lot of money leaving the sport - I'm sure the money will return, does anyone want to speculate as to when?

I would guess Bruyneel may take a year off, hes had a very successful gig over the last few years.

I'll still watch the sport.

Fixed
08-10-2007, 08:11 AM
What a relief!

Hopefully I won't have to hear about Lance, etc. for some time!

Now let's move on and watch how many of those "clean" riders get busted... :D

A!
yeah bro i think the dope police are goin to come down hard ..time to get out now while the gettings good imho .... but they were the best at what they did imho
cheers

Avispa
08-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Provided this isn't a last attempt at getting a potential sponsor's interest - this is bad news for money flowing into pro cycling if the most successful team program cannot secure sponsorship. Add to it that Credit Agricole is done as well. Mapei pulled out a few years back...

Well, Mapei is still quite involved in Cycling at all levels, especially in Europe. As far as the "most successful team program..." I don't know if I could agree with that...

This is the problem with many companies here in the USA, if they are not involved at the top with the big money, they simply pull out. Just watch how the Tour of California faces the same fate of that famous Coors Classic or the Tour DuPont.

A!

SWorks4me
08-10-2007, 08:25 AM
...been a fan of the Postal/Disco team. I always felt pride towards them ,but I do not feel as bad about them leaving as I did when 7-11/Motorola did. I am very excited about Slipstream with American management again...a strong roster and a very strong stance on doping.

Coincidence that Chipotle started going hormone free and antibiotic free when they started sponsoring cycling? :p

Erik.Lazdins
08-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Well, Mapei is still quite involved in Cycling at all levels, especially in Europe. As far as the "most successful team program..." I don't know if I could agree with that...

This is the problem with many companies here in the USA, if they are not involved at the top with the big money, they simply pull out. Just watch how the Tour of California faces the same fate of that famous Coors Classic or the Tour DuPont.

A!

I thought about writing "Arguably the most successful"

Mapei still has a presence under my kitchen tile :) My post was in reference to their "super team"

Good point about the Tour of California,Georgia etc... Its tough to build a race year over year without steady sponsorship

Len J
08-10-2007, 08:29 AM
before the first ex Disco rider gets caught cheating? History is a great predictor of future behavior.

Len

93legendti
08-10-2007, 08:35 AM
With no American team in the TdF, say goodbye to TdF coverage on Vs.

mdeeds71
08-10-2007, 08:42 AM
This, in my honest opinion, will start a decline in popularity of the sport here in the US. I talk to so many people that are ignorant of the doping but still know of the Discovery Team and its affiliation with TdF, Lance, etc. So what now when the most prolific team in the american populace's eye ceases? Who will they look for in any coverage that pops up on TV or the USA Today? I even fly with so many that go to watch the race just because it is going on during their brief stay in EU, and some even think LA still races :confused: But the one marketing tool they know is the Discovery Team, the US team.

I predict Trek sales to decline, but the size of the company...could they actually sponsor it themselves?

As for drugs in cycling...no different than weapons in my other trade, as soldier...for every new weapon that is created a countermeasure is developed then a new weapon appears that outperforms the countermeasure. So will go cycling...never fully clean...as for most of the worlds populace...eveyone has their vices and vanity.

Funny how the riders themselves are destoying thier very existance they thrive on. Much like the book I am reading now. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Gibbons, circa 1790s.

Mark
Still watching and thrilled by the sport.

Grant McLean
08-10-2007, 08:45 AM

Slipstream will get a wildcard. Yo.

-g

93legendti
08-10-2007, 08:52 AM

-g

They might have to first win something in Europe.

Larry
08-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Well.....Discovery leaves as the best team in the TDF. They really kicked *** this year!
Perhaps the French will have a fighting chance for the next few years.
They are tired of American team domination anyway.

In my opinion.....at least in the U.S. ....... little support wil be generated
for interest in European events, and it may hurt things here in the U.S. So, everyone loses, and even bike sales will likely fall in our shops.
I have become tired of all the doping scandals and accusations. The excitement and draw of the best of the best has (for now) cast a dark
and gloomy shadow on the sport.....like all pro sports for that matter.

kestrel
08-10-2007, 09:03 AM

Oh crap! I fear you are absolutely correct.

Back to the old days of trying to find the 5 minute segments on Wide World of Sports.

Bill Bove
08-10-2007, 09:04 AM

What did Barlow world win?

With Slipstreams antidoping stance and the points they are stienbrennering they are almost a sure bet for a wildcard. A perfect oportunity for Trek to stay in the game too, Felt can't match what Trek can offer. Trek can even afford to buy out the remainder of Felts contract.

I'm surprised that Lance isn't getting Phizer and all the other cancer fighting drug makers on board "Team Cancer Sucts" or something. Oakley, Nike, Trek, all the sponsers who have been with him all along and made money off his wins.

Grant McLean
08-10-2007, 09:05 AM

The protour is dead. ASO is going to choose whoever they want for '08
Anti doping will be the only measure for an invitation.

Who else will be around...
Think Astana is being invited back?
No Disco...
No Cofidis...
Potentially no Unibet...

Will there be 20 teams to invite?

-g

William
08-10-2007, 09:06 AM
What did Barlow world win?

I'm surprised that Lance isn't getting Phizer and all the other cancer fighting drug makers on board "Team Cancer Sucts" or something. Oakley, Nike, Trek, all the sponsers who have been with him all along and made money off his wins.

They might be quietly distancing themselves considering all the stuff that's been happening lately.

William

Fixed
08-10-2007, 09:06 AM
bro I remember when i'd go to a law office and sit in a room with a lawyer listening to french short wave radio he'd tell what they said lemond is winning ....
cheers

Grant McLean
08-10-2007, 09:07 AM

Back to the old days of trying to find the 5 minute segments on Wide World of Sports.

guess what, there is this 'internet' thing that Al Gore invented,
where you can get all the coverage you want!

-g

manet
08-10-2007, 09:10 AM

with that argyle they already have

LegendRider
08-10-2007, 09:11 AM
bro I remember when i'd go to a law office and sit in a room with a lawyer listening to french short wave radio he'd tell what they said lemond is winning ....
cheers

I remember calling a 900 number operated by Velonews...

dauwhe
08-10-2007, 09:14 AM
With the new riders they've signed, I don't think Slipstream will have a problem getting some Euro wins next year.

I don't think the idea of an "American" team means as much as it used to. Lots of Americans in the peloton now, and not that many on Discovery...

Dave

1centaur
08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
If Versus gives up its coverage, the Euro TV feeds will be importable to the US. Cyclingtv and other Internet channels will proliferate as long as the sport is strong in Europe. Per the Velonews article I posted here recently, cycling is getting stronger as a participatory sport in the US and ratings were not too shabby this year for the Tour. Arguably given its niche status Versus was never the exactly right medium for its transmission in the US anyway. We may lose the big budget with the Trout and the graphics and the "16 aerospace engineers" but there will be a lot more cycling coverage than 5 minutes of Wide World of Sports. There's never been a better time to lose Versus coverage than today.

Now the more interesting questions - who has the money, the GC climber spot AND the confidence to sign Contador, and who wants to pay good money for steady Eddy Levi with a year or so left in his career?

mdeeds71
08-10-2007, 09:25 AM
With the new riders they've signed, I don't think Slipstream will have a problem getting some Euro wins next year.

I don't think the idea of an "American" team means as much as it used to. Lots of Americans in the peloton now, and not that many on Discovery...

Dave

Most people I come across dont look at it as americans on a team rather an american team ie. name they recognize thus associate...most would be suprised to be told there are very few americans on the old Disco team. they just look at it as a US team. Ask the same people who Rabobank, Gerolsteiner, Cofidis, Credit A etc. are and they would look at you like this :confused:

It is in the best interest for US cycling to have a name to recognize in the racing scene be it a domestic team or international.

bozman
08-10-2007, 09:38 AM

-g

I thought it was internets?

If Contador was really telling the truth today--he never doped, does not dope, will provide DNA to prove said--he should put his money where his mouth is and approach Slipstream for a ride, if they have any slots left.

I am a little sad to see Postal/Discovery disband but it is not a surprise given the current state of affairs. I always thought those Postal kits were kinda cool...

93legendti
08-10-2007, 10:11 AM
cheers

Or better yet, 20 minutes of condensed ESPN coverage (10 minutes of commercials!) and the streaming announcement of the stage winner underneath as the stage is airing for the 1rst time!

kestrel
08-10-2007, 10:18 AM

-g

Yeah, but it's such a pain making my way into the big city of Bug Tussle to use the one computer in the Li-berry! :D

Your_Friend!
08-10-2007, 10:25 AM

Bill Bove!

Very Nice Point!

The Money: They Have It!

No Problem!

Maybe People Feel: We Have Been Tricked!

Now they are feeling Not Friendly!

Love,
Your_Friend!

SWorks4me
08-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Bill Bove!

Very Nice Point!

The Money: They Have It!

No Problem!

Maybe People Feel: We Have Been Tricked!

Now they are feeling Not Friendly!

Love,
Your_Friend!

truly the best thing for LA to do is to lay low...that doping spotlight could get very bright if new (personal) sponsors are brought on board. Let sleeping dogs lie...

93legendti
08-10-2007, 10:30 AM
The protour is dead. ASO is going to choose whoever they want for '08
Anti doping will be the only measure for an invitation.

Who else will be around...
Think Astana is being invited back?
No Disco...
No Cofidis...
Potentially no Unibet...

Will there be 20 teams to invite?

-g

True, but usually a wild card has actually done something of note--other than being the 1rst South African team (or 1rst British team in 20 years) or the 1rst Columbian team. Otherwise, Mercury would have been in the TdF at least once. After all Tonkov came in 2nd in the Dauphine riding for Mercury and that was not enough to secure a ride for the entire team.

Dave B
08-10-2007, 11:58 AM
I am sad. I think Johan is brillant and the entire Lance era was fun for me.

Not to mention yet another reason to buy a sweet trek now....you know before they become collectors items..I might have a line on one if anyone is interested. I'll even include postal and discovery jerseys. :D

OOOh and a set of Lance road shoes! yeah!

Michael Maddox
08-10-2007, 12:09 PM
7-Eleven Japan (the owner of 7-Eleven, Inc., formerly The Southland Group) is was a $10 billion company (gross revenues) a couple of years back. If the right person approached that company's owners, given the apparent growth in Asian cycling, maybe...

Would that not be the coolest thing EVER?

Go Slurpees!

weaponsgrade
08-10-2007, 12:23 PM
On the positive side, at least Disco/Postal went out on top.

Dekonick
08-10-2007, 12:43 PM

And all of the bull riding you can watch...

Kahuna
08-10-2007, 12:51 PM
VS may be next on the sponsorship hit list. I wouldn't surprise me if there were far less TdF coverage next year.

-K

Ti Designs
08-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I ask this every time there's a downturn in euro pro cycling, nobody ever notices, but just to be consistant...

What about the local racers? So much is made of pro racing, so little is focused on kids just getting into the sport. TV coverage on the smaller networks is based on growing markets. They don't have the clout to pull in NFL games, but every time there's a fight on a street corner a crowd gathers - let's cover that and watch it grow! Well, every time there's a bike race near you the only spectators are the racer's parents.

Don't worry about Trek too much, they'll do just fine. This country is in a health crisis, running is hard on the body, swimming requires a pool, fad sports come and go as they please. Cycling will still have it's market share, Trek will still try to dominate the market with their concept stores.

Avispa
08-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Nope... You just have to rely on cycling.tv, getting better all the time! ;)

I watched the Giro on it at 1200kbps on my plasma TV. Almost as good as broadcast. Hopefully, next year they will have better bandwidth and it is a relief not to have to hear Bob, Phil and that other jackass (not Paul, but the other).

A!

deanster
08-10-2007, 02:19 PM

-g
Rumor has it that Levi might sign with Slipstream. US Postal set the Bar for cycle racing as it is today with one of the most detail oriented teams on the circuit. They brought technology, organization, and good management to the Tour and racing in general. Give them their due. As far as US companies being short sighted remember CSC is a US company.
Maybe this will wake up the sport. Cycling today is really the only sport attacking Doping at a high level. Mr. Bonds just broke the HRR and it is so obvious that he used steroids even after MLB took its stand. He will end up retiring and the controversary will go away. I simply stopped caring about MLB and NFL games and only watch College sports for fun.
Doping is serious and cycling is really the only sport that is going after the problem.

Big Dan
08-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Shame, this move is putting some good doctors out of a job....

:eek:

cmg
08-10-2007, 03:30 PM
"The team was rumoured to be asking $45 million for three years - a difficult sell in the current climate of doping scandals in the sport." very few companies can make that kind of commitment.

MartyE
08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
while not a huge postal/discovery fan the whole thing saddens me.
Postal defined the modern Grand tour team, with all riders working for
one designated captain/GC hopeful. And watching Postal team time trial
was like ballet on wheels.
While CSC is a US based company the team itself is not a US team. One of
the european divisions of CSC was the impetus for the team sponsorship, believe me El Segundo and Falls Church offices of CSC could care less about the team other than can they be used as a marketing tool.
I hope Slipstream can fill some of the void left by Postal/Discovery's departure.
And I do hope Vs keeps broadcasting events, hell I'd even put up with Owl Troutwig to keep watching.

Marty

harlond
08-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I simply stopped caring about MLB and NFL games and only watch College sports for fun. Doping is serious and cycling is really the only sport that is going after the problem.Do they show college table tennis on TV?

Grant McLean
08-10-2007, 04:19 PM
True, but usually a wild card has actually done something of note--other than being the 1rst South African team (or 1rst British team in 20 years) or the 1rst Columbian team. Otherwise, Mercury would have been in the TdF at least once. After all Tonkov came in 2nd in the Dauphine riding for Mercury and that was not enough to secure a ride for the entire team.

hey, you forgot the first rule of wildcards.... just being French! :)

I'm thinking the rules have changed. ASO is going to bring who they like,
and criteria can be whatever they want. The UCI and ProTour are going
to have nothing to say about it, given the fiasco of this Tour. ASO could
go back to National teams if it pleases them. Viva la Tour.

-g

93legendti
08-10-2007, 04:52 PM
hey, you forgot the first rule of wildcards.... just being French! :)

I'm thinking the rules have changed. ASO is going to bring who they like,
and criteria can be whatever they want. The UCI and ProTour are going
to have nothing to say about it, given the fiasco of this Tour. ASO could
go back to National teams if it pleases them. Viva la Tour.

-g

I know that rule...figured if I stated it a firestorm might start... :D

I always thought that the first rule of wildcards is there are no rules, but with a non-french team they must have some drawing card a "first team from ___" or an impressive season. July is only 11 months away--it will go fast!

Nick H.
08-10-2007, 05:41 PM
:banana: :banana: Ding-dong, the witch is dead! :banana: :banana:

Just had my first drink since March to celebrate. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Yes, let the joyous news be spread
The wicked old witch at last is dead!

The best part is that one of the team owners is Lance's LAWYER! :p

Samster
08-10-2007, 11:13 PM
microsoft

starbucks

discovery

it seems the fate of all successful organizations is ultimately to be met with loathing and spite. everyone loves the underdog... until it wins too many times. say what you want and think what you want. that's what this country is all about.

ps. name me one "clean" sport besides golf or bowling. rhetorical question atmo.

swoop
08-10-2007, 11:43 PM
golf isn't clean and bowling isn't a sport.

3chordwonder
08-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Somebody loved Microsoft or Starbucks at one time?

Samster
08-11-2007, 06:30 AM
crushing.

93legendti
08-11-2007, 06:58 AM
microsoft

starbucks

discovery

it seems the fate of all successful organizations is ultimately to be met with loathing and spite. everyone loves the underdog... until it wins too many times. say what you want and think what you want. that's what this country is all about.

ps. name me one "clean" sport besides golf or bowling. rhetorical question atmo.

You know, you got it right. I couldn't figure out why people here still cite the NY Times, then I remembered that the Times is losing readers and has had repeated layoffs--explains why the Times is not loathed.

P.S. You forgot Walmart!

1centaur
08-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Having just read the Disco news conference story on cyclingnews, I think there's a lot not being said. Bruyneel's retirement makes no sense given his age and success and money making ability. It's not like he has any other way to make good money. Lance's focus on non-doping risks to a new sponsor was interesting. I am wondering if a sponsor would ask for a monetary make-well out of the old owners' pockets if certain bad things happened and those folks made the rational decision not to take such a risk. The issue may have been that Disco would continue if it were a free option to Lance and Johan, but once it became a possibility of losing some banked cash they just said no. In my opinion, any rational new sponsor would want that kind of "skin in the game."

When they imply they'll be back, I think Johan will be looking for a DS spot in a team where it IS a free option to him, and Lance would consider some kind of ownership/investment in Johan's efforts for any of a number of possible reasons.

I would love to hear from some of the potential sponsors that were approached and why they said no, as well as how close they got.

Lifelover
08-11-2007, 09:35 AM
LOL...

True Dat

swoop
08-11-2007, 02:56 PM
i don't know if its out yet but i'll say it anyway (i haven't been reading the articles). it was supposedly going to be China Bank or bank of china or some such....

It just ends up like a big, 'its not you its me'.. but i think johan and company are dead center at having turned cycling into what it is now and i kind of think the should stick around and at least pretend to clean up the party.

cadence90
08-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Is Kid auditioning for Star Trek Espanol while waiting for another team to pick him up???

http://www.velonews.com/images/int/13071.20025.f.jpg

Grant McLean
08-11-2007, 03:04 PM
It just ends up like a big, its not you its me'.. but i think johan and company are dead center at having turned cycling into what it is now and i kind of think the should stick around and at least pretend to clean up the party.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oJ0GcV5Igs

g

97CSI
08-11-2007, 03:26 PM
I simply stopped caring about MLB and NFL games and only watch College sports for fun. Doping is serious and cycling is really the only sport that is going after the problem.College sports? Unpaid (make that uncaught) professionals (thugs who don't have to attend class - couldn't pass if they did) with the coaches getting paid millions of our tax dollars every year. At least in the pro-level games it is generally above board. College sports should receive zero tax dollars. But, couldn't agree more about cycling and drugs. Why is it so singled out? Think Kloden has it right. All part of the ASO-Pro Tour fight with the near-powerless riders in the middle. Sad to see Europe become so USA-like. Where it is only about the money.

soulspinner
08-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Is Kid auditioning for Star Trek Espanol while waiting for another team to pick him up???

http://www.velonews.com/images/int/13071.20025.f.jpg

Was his middle finger broken for not using enough clearasil?

Samster
08-11-2007, 05:58 PM
P.S. You forgot Walmart!walmart.

Fixed
08-11-2007, 06:29 PM
bro i'll miss em i love to hate them ......
cheers

swoop
08-11-2007, 06:42 PM
i wonder what they would have looked like as ChinaBank.

1centaur
08-11-2007, 07:06 PM
i wonder what they would have looked like as ChinaBank.

That would have been a HUGE mistake in the US. China - the new Russia (in the public's mind). Imagine the comments after the first doping positive? Would have been good for Slipstream though :)