PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a strap for my frame pump?

caleb
08-10-2007, 12:01 AM
My bike doesn't have a proper frame peg for my Zefal pump.

I used a zip tie to make one on the headtube, and have the pump following the top tube.

Should I use a strap to make sure the pump doesn't slip/fall? If so, where does one get such a thing?

Orin
08-10-2007, 12:27 AM
My bike doesn't have a proper frame peg for my Zefal pump.

I used a zip tie to make one on the headtube, and have the pump following the top tube.

Should I use a strap to make sure the pump doesn't slip/fall? If so, where does one get such a thing?

It would be a good idea. Less likely for the zip tie to slip. It also stops the pump from rattling and rubbing through the paint on the top tube.

Nashbar have them. Just search for pump strap. A whole $1.39 each and free shipping at the moment.

Orin.

pmd
08-10-2007, 01:01 AM
cat gut works nickely, or if you're all out, an old banjo string should do the trick

labratmatt
08-10-2007, 07:52 AM
You should use a strap.

I was riding in a group with a buddy a few weeks ago down a pretty fast decent when he bumped the pump with his knee. It went flying across the road. If he had a strap on it, I don't think it would have popped off to the side so easily.

Giff
08-10-2007, 08:10 AM
You should use a strap.

I was riding in a group with a buddy a few weeks ago down a pretty fast decent when he bumped the pump with his knee. It went flying across the road. If he had a strap on it, I don't think it would have popped off to the side so easily.
Something very similar happened to me awhile back. Problem was the weeds were so tall in the ditch that I never did find that Zefal.... :crap:

michael white
08-10-2007, 08:18 AM
also at the shop ask for the black plastic zefal clamp-on peg. they will usually give it free.

be careful, that is pretty dangerous.

Kines
08-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Better yet:

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bikeprods.aspx?prodid=1001

KN

Jeff N.
08-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Use a pump strap. Any Performance Bike Shop should have them. Jeff N.

Spinner
08-10-2007, 10:29 AM
in the rear triangle of my ciii, with the inflation end lodged between the seat tube and the seat stay.

Bradford
08-10-2007, 11:10 AM
If you want a pump instead of CO2, try a road morph pump. It comes with its own bracket that allows you to mount it under the down tube, so no pegs or straps needed. Also, since it has a hose instead of a direct mount, there is no way you can rip the valve stem while pumping.

Ahneida Ride
08-10-2007, 11:25 AM
An excellent strap is made by Jandd. It's heavy duty.
It's the one I use.

I also zip tie felt cushions to the pump to separate the pump from the frame.
This way the pump does not rattle and the paint does not get scratched.

A.L.Breguet
08-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Black electrical tape, or the tape that comes with cork ribbon.

Spinner
08-10-2007, 02:39 PM
against the top tube, several rubber "O" rings on the Zefal pump handle do the trick nicely.

93legendti
08-10-2007, 03:06 PM
http://www.zefal.com/AAA/page.php?nom=produits&sousFamille=2007autreAccessoires&langue=an

Bob Ross
08-10-2007, 04:17 PM
If you want a pump instead of CO2, try a road morph pump. It comes with its own bracket that allows you to mount it under the down tube, so no pegs or straps needed. Also, since it has a hose instead of a direct mount, there is no way you can rip the valve stem while pumping.

While I'm a huge fan of the Road Morph, and prefer it over any frame pump I've ever had to use, I feel compelled to point out that the supplied bracket does *not* fit all bike frames, especially if you're riding a newfangled carbon frame with non-cylindrical tubes, or an old-fangled aluminum frame with dramatically oversized tubes.

The solution of course is one of those brackets that fits in between the bottle cage & the frame...and that includes a pump strap! I think Blackburn makes the one I use.

To the OP: Home Depot sells velcro straps that will hold a frame pump just fine. Look in the "wire management" (i.e., electronics) section.

neverraced
08-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Some distributors of broccoli use a green velcro-like piece of plastic to hold things together. Soft, non-abrasive, free, works perfectly. Or you pay $1.98 for it and get the broccoli free. Your call.

caleb
08-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Some distributors of broccoli use a green velcro-like piece of plastic to hold things together. Soft, non-abrasive, free, works perfectly. Or you pay $1.98 for it and get the broccoli free. Your call.

What stores? I always seem to get rubber bands.

I'll use some electrical tape for the time being.