PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Tour on Ebay

hypnos
06-30-2004, 10:02 PM
There is a new Ti Rapid Tour frame with fork on Ebay. I asked the seller for the serial number so that I could get the geometry specs from Serotta. He replied that he would not provide the serial number because Serotta will not give out that information. I had no problem getting the Excel file with the build specs for my Serotta frame. Is this guy FOS?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3685946213&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Sandy
06-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Can't he just read the number off the frame, underneath the bb??? Sounds fishy to me. Is it true that Serotta won't give that info? If he is not willing to give you the info, I would be quite concerned.

Salmon Sandy

hypnos
06-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Sandy,

Agreed, but I'm not sure what to do with your reply.

Jeff

hypnos
06-30-2004, 10:17 PM
I did not see your whole reply, just the bottom. He would not even have to look on the frame.... the factory tags are still attached to the bike.

Sandy
06-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Hypnos,

Look at the description of the bike in the add. It says that it is a 56 cm, 2003, Seven bike. In addition, under the Serotta name, the seller list about 4 bike manufacturers. The whole add is confusing, to say the least.

Sandy

Peter
06-30-2004, 10:28 PM
I'd be leery of the seller. Reread the ad; in the Description box, the frame is listed as a "Seven".

It's also listed as a complete bike, yet the photos show a bare frame.

"The bike is in brand new condition never build." Not only is the grammar poor, again in the Description box the frame is described as "used."

Note the double misspelling- "Reynold" "Ozuo".

Call me picky, but I think the seller is neither bright, nor a cyclist. I'd be leery of where they acquired the frame, and whether YOU'LL actually acquire the frame if you win the bid.

Hold onto your cash for the "better" deal.

coylifut
06-30-2004, 10:50 PM
You know he's FOS. All that's missing is that you haven't reported that the seller is willing to negotiate off ebay. There has been a rash of ebay fraud concerning high end bikes lately. This auction has all the necessary ingredients. High end Serotta, inaccurate and incomplete description, uncooperative seller - no history and misspelled text. Don’t walk, run.

gdw
06-30-2004, 10:57 PM
The seller is new to Ebay and has no feedback score. He has the same description for a 56cm Seven in both his ad for the Rapid Tour and Trek 5500 and the photographs of the frames were taken at different locations- one is by a workbench while the other is leaning against a wall. There are a number of scam artists out there who copy photos from internet galleries and set up phony auctions on Ebay. This might be one. You would expect someone selling newer highend frames to provide more information in his auction or at least provide the info you requested in your email.

Kevin
07-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Shino,

I have given Serotta the serial number for bikes I was looking at on e-bay and they always provided me with the specs.

Kevin

Ken Robb
07-01-2004, 01:25 PM
listed as a 56cm,text says 50cm. The head tube is so short it must be closer to 50cm than 56cm. Looks like caca de toro to me.