PDA

View Full Version : Air Pollution and Exercise

itsflantastic
08-08-2007, 03:42 PM
I've been reading up on this today @ work after accidentally getting a gulp of some exhaust this morning. . .

It's awfully disturbing. Anyone know more about it? Studies etc?

I found this on some fella's blog "Iphiclus":

Yes, that's right, the experts say that "[t]hough 'it's almost impossible in Manhattan,'" you should ideally have a quarter-mile between you and traffic while working out. To me, "almost impossible" is not quite strong enough. It is impossible. To make matters worse, while exercising you breath as much as 10 times the pollution of a sedentary person, subjecting yourself to higher risks for pollution-induced asthma, cancer or heart problems. And, as a last ironic twist, because of the pollution, the benefits of the exercise on your lungs is retarded, meaning you're not even getting the benefits you think you are.

Finally, just to make this more depressing, breathing auto-exhaust while exercising can lead to "coughing," "irritat[ion of] your lungs ... kind of like getting a sunburn on the inside of your lungs," "cancer and heart problems," and "brittle and weak" lungs.

Transportation Alternatives also had some studies posted on their site which were equally discomforting.

Every day I think more and more city livin' ain't for me. . . Maine is calling my name "Dan....Dan....Come live here!"

gdw
08-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Spend a winter in Maine and you might hear New York calling you back. :D

A.L.Breguet
08-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I try not to think about it.
The irony of getting lung cancer as a result of leading a life that includes lots of vigorous exercise.

Fixed
08-08-2007, 05:52 PM
http://www.ndtourism.com/
this where i'm going ......but i think bend oregon i like them bros out there
cheers

Karin Kirk
08-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about how much greenhouse gas we exhale while riding. Glad it's more sensible than that!

No traffic here, just wildfires and thus today's air is "moderate" from the smoke. That means it's OK to exercise.

Fixed, I used to live in ND - nice place, but not sure I'd spend much vacation time there!

chrisroph
08-08-2007, 06:56 PM
ND is where some people in montana say they are going next.

Too Tall
08-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Are you kidding me??? I'd rather take up smoking than even think about reality. Nope, you can't talk sense to me la la la la la la la

Karin Kirk
08-08-2007, 07:14 PM
ND is where some people in montana say they are going next.

Yes, that is especially true if they happen to be heading east on I-90 at the time.

Or, do you mean that people are moving from MT to ND? There's not much difference between the eastern part of MT and ND, but otherwise I do believe it would be a culture shock.

Whoops, thread hijack. Sorry!

Fixed
08-08-2007, 08:02 PM
bro i met my wife in bismarck ...we may go there to visit friends next year ..
cheers i want mt bike the badlands ...
cheers http://www.bismarck.org/

itsflantastic
08-08-2007, 10:02 PM
when I rode across the country, North Dakota was the only state where everyone waved at me.

I thought it would be my least favorite state, but it was near the top o the list.

Fixed
08-08-2007, 10:10 PM
bro a state where you don't have to lock your doors to your house or your car ...cheers :beer:

itsflantastic
08-09-2007, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't mind living there, but i think having grown up on sailboats by the ocean, I'd miss the water. It's a shame I can't keep my doors and bike unlocked in brooklyn :rolleyes:

my downstairs neighbors were robbed last week and I had to get renter's insurance. Good news is they'll cover my bikes in the apt or on the street if they get stolen off a rack or something. not too shabby...