PDA

View Full Version : KILLER COMMUTE this morning.

itsflantastic
08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
So @ 6 am I am violently awoken by a massive downpour and some crazy thunder. Close the window. . . Turn over. . . back to sleep.

Anyway, 2 hours later I'm standing in the subway cuz I had a late night and wasn't going to ride into work. Subways aren't running! Apparently, it was a REAL bad storm (a tornado in brooklyn!!!! ripped off some roofs and uprooted some trees apparently)

Well, I walk back home and pump up my tires.
all the avenues toward Manhattan were parking lots! I rode past at least 800 cars today yelling "Suckas!" at all the open windows :D

Made it to work in pretty good time. No cars got in my way cuz none were moving. Made me feel good to be a cyclist. Everyone else is so reliant on the systems in place. I am reliant on myself. I think everyone on a bike felt mad cool this morning.

Only problem is, I was the only one who showed up at work!!!!
(thus my high frequency of posts today :rolleyes: )

Cheers

fiamme red
08-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Was going to do the full commute this morning (24 miles each way), but was woken by thunder, and went back to sleep for 2 hours.

Rode to the PATH. Streets were still wet and some flooded, but the sun was out. The PATH train was very crowded and was running 20 minutes late. Really glad I don't have to use the subway. :)

Fixed
08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
thank god for the bike
:beer: cheers

EDS
08-08-2007, 02:21 PM
A combo of bus and walking did the job for me this morning. Should have waited to take the shower until I got to work though.

NateM
08-08-2007, 03:04 PM
as I rode across the GW Bridge into NYC this morning I was spotted by a co-worker stuck in the massive traffic jam.He just dropped by and asked about commuting into town by bike (42 miles).If I can convince him to try it that will make 3 more this year,the bike room has over 40 bikes now.It just makes sense.

itsflantastic
08-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Dude- I want a Bike room so bad!
Consider yourself lucky.

If I had a bike room, I'd probably head out to 9W before work and get a workout in before feeling like a slug in my cube. Riding a fixie is fun and all, but sometimes I just wish I had more opportunities to ride my CSI out on some real roads, not just a loop in prospect park. I get dizzy.

Can I borrow your bike room?!?!

Dan

coylifut
08-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't live in NYC, but have a great commuting situation with excellent bike storage, health club in the building to shower and a big office complete with a wardrobe to house my business attire. Yesterday, I'm having lunch with a co worker and one of my cycling friends and he starts needling us a bit about cyclists being in his way on the road and how there's already enough cars in his way - he carries on and starts complaining about a new release of $ for more cycling infrastructure...It was quite a pleasure to inform him that driving will never get more convenient, but cycling is getting more convenient all the time.

"Suckas" is right.

itsflantastic
08-08-2007, 03:48 PM
where do you work? can I send you my resume? :D

coylifut
08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
where do you work? can I send you my resume? :D

Portland Oregon

TimB
08-08-2007, 03:59 PM
it was 80F at 6:30am when I woke up, and about 85F when I got to work. I took my clothes into the shower with me. As I sit getting ready to ride home, it's 102F, dewpoint is 70F.

It's going to be toasty, for sure.

Fixed
08-08-2007, 04:39 PM
you cats shower ? maybe thats why people give me lots of room
cheeers :beer:

fiamme red
08-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Pictures:

http://www.streetsblog.org/2007/08/08/the-storm-of-07-and-the-commute-of-august-8

rounder
08-09-2007, 09:56 PM
I don't want to complain too much but since we are on the subject, my average commute is 150 miles daily. Yesterday was killer though. I was on the Amtrak and didn't have my tix (left it on the car seat). Had to get off in Baltimore to buy a ticket for a local train to Union Station in D.C. Caught the Metro there on way to Bethesda but everyone had to get off because a passenger got sick. They eventually rerouted the trains and finally got to work. Later that afternoon, they cancelled subway service because of a "suspicious package" at one of the stops (it was a cardboard box with stuff in it that someone left in a car. They blew it up just to be safe). Had to take a bus to another subway line to catch the Metro. Rode to Union Station and caught my train home. It was a slow ride because of the heat, but made it.

Alexi
08-10-2007, 09:00 AM
godamn 4th ave in brooklyn was a parking lot the other day. Even with no cars moving it took me twice as long to bike those 70 blocks to the Man-hat bridge. I was not happy.