PDA

View Full Version : Comcast stinks

shinomaster
06-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Ok, all cable companies stink, but it seems ironic that as a sponsor of Lance they make it so expensive to watch him ride the Tour! I don't really wan't to cough up $60 to watch the tour yet I feel compelled to do so. Is OLN worth that much money?? :crap:

Smiley
06-30-2004, 04:15 PM
is known around these parts as the " BUBBA NETWORK " , you'll learn alot about bass fishing , rifle shooting and hunting dogs on this chanel. I always pictured you as a Food Network type of guy Shino , please don't do it .

oracle
06-30-2004, 04:18 PM
you dont need to watch fishing. or rodeos. or naked mud wrestling. but get it to see the tour if you are not going to be in france. i'd say that the better coverage this year will make it a worthwhile investment.

oracle

Ozz
06-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Ok, all cable companies stink, but it seems ironic that as a sponsor of Lance they make it so expensive to watch him ride the Tour! I don't really wan't to cough up $60 to watch the tour yet I feel compelled to do so. Is OLN worth that much money?? :crap:

$60 per month / 21 days of the Tour = $2.86 per entertainment session

Cheaper than renting movies.

BTW - Yes, Comcast sucks. Like most cable companies, they provide a 100 channels of crap and 4 that are worth watching, yet have the gall to charge for all 113.

What I really want to know is who watches all the home shopping and evangelical channels??? Sheesh!!

alembical
06-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Shino, I just wanted to let you know that Comcast did say that they will do free install and uninstall. There is no contract, so I am also debating the getting of OLN for just the month of July. Still cant decide. I have to work during the days, so I would have to tape it in the mornings and watch the evening recaps.

ALembical

Homsie
06-30-2004, 04:54 PM
It's pretty funny how people will balk at paying for certain things like cable, but will drop $800 on a carbon crank set without batting an eye. I'm guilty of doing similar things as well....like debating whether or not to pay $8 for a six pack of decent beer at the grocery store...and not even batting an eye when plunking down $7.50 per beer at a sporting event.

If you're lucky enough to live in San Ramon, you can get expanded basic analog cable for something like $30....and it has OLN (CH 81).

James

:beer: :beer:

bcm119
06-30-2004, 05:04 PM
I just went through the same dilemma. I called up Comcast, said I wanted OLN, and they said okay, that'll be the digital classic package. I need digital cable to get OLN, for $60/month. The good news is that they have a deal now where you get free installation and $10 off the first three months, so I'll keep it for the Tour and the summer olympics, then cancel. Worth it to see 2 1/2 hours of the Tour every night I think.

BTW, some of the local channels still come in crappy, so I'm going to have a talk with those bastards.

shinomaster
06-30-2004, 05:25 PM
hmmm.. $2.88 a day for cable + $8.00 a day for Belgian beer adds up to $10.88 a day for bike racing.. hmm...

plus chips $2.99, pizza delivery ... Oh by the way pizza is also way over priced here in Portland. It would seem the locals have no issue paying $26.00 for a 14" pie! ha ha..ok clearly I need a new job.. :banana: :banana:

Ozz
06-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Looks like pizza chefs make pretty good $$$???? ;)

alembical
06-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Shino & Portland Folks,
I saw the other day that the Lucky Lab was going to be reshowing with TDF coverage in the evenings. Not sure the details, if it is the evening recap only, or a replay of the live coverage, nor the time, but just thought I would pass it on. I think that the downtown bike gallery is doing the same thing. Not sure of the legalities of the reshowing, so I should have probably not made a public annoucement, but I guess they already did so themself.

Alembical

Dekonick
06-30-2004, 06:24 PM
You dont have to pay for the full Comcast package - at least you dont in Maryland. I have basic cable and it has OLNTV. I have friends who have limited basic (12 bucks a month) and also have OLNTV (they remove the shiny silver round filter on their cable line; that allows all non digital channels to be broadcast.

I dont know if this will work for yall, but in MD you dont need digital. (at least not in Howard County)

:)

oh! went for a nice ride in Baltimore City yesterday - rode from a friends shop on Fleet Street to Lake Montebello and rode laps (recovery ride) then back. Riding in the city is a different experience! Saw a girl on a BEAUTIFUL Seven- she wasnt bad either! :D

bcm119
06-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Hmmm... fresh beer and bike racing on tv.. not a terrible idea, not a terrible idea at all.

BumbleBeeDave
06-30-2004, 09:36 PM
. . . just follow the tour on the web and get the WCP DVD set in a month or so? I will freeload off a couple of friends for a few live stages and have some good times--they supply the TV and I’ll bring the food and beer. Then I’ll get the WCP set for what, 80 bucks?

The 12-hour set from last year’s race was great--all the important bits with no boring parts, nature breaks, or Kirsten Gum, and I still get a healthy dose of Liggett getting rider’s names wrong! :rolleyes:

BBDave

shinomaster
06-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Lucky Lab is the best..and oh no, they have HUGE pitchers of beer too...My death to be sure...

See you there?

Madship
07-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Just think after 3 weeks of a couch or barstool with beer and pizza you'll really need your bike. If you can still push the pedal around, it will help amortize the investment in the bike as well. :D

:beer: