PDA

View Full Version : Explanation of toe overlap

drbob
06-30-2004, 02:56 PM
I hate being ignorant, but I am not familiar with the term "toe overlap." Any simple explanations?

oracle
06-30-2004, 03:03 PM
when a person has worn shoes that are clearly too small, one can develop 'toe overlap' , a condition that can lead to serious foot problems, the toes getting quite curled up. if you fell that you have toe overlap, go see a doctor. i am only a doctor of dead culture.

p.s. seriously, it is when, for a variety of reasons, the 'toe' portion of your shoes can hit the front wheel during very slow, tight radius turns if you insist on pedaling through such a turn.

oracle

bulliedawg
06-30-2004, 03:03 PM
With the pedals at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock, a tight-radius slow-speed turn will cause the front wheel to hit the forward toe, sometimes causing the rider to topple over and look like an idiot. It's never been a factor in my riding style, but it is for some people.

Climb01742
06-30-2004, 03:11 PM
toe overlap has also caused many a promising tango career to end sadly and prematurely, but i digress...

Kevan
06-30-2004, 03:18 PM
such as in Sandy's his pedal stroke, his cadence is interrupted when the toe of the shoe comes in full contact with the ground when his leg is fully extended, essentially lifting the entire bike, rider, wheels, and all, off the ground, in a continual up and down motion, not too unlike a merry-go-round motion.

Sandy buys shoes like you buy Powerbars. :D