PDA

View Full Version : Touring Tires

Frog Hair
08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
I have an old set of IRC 700c Tandem Touring tires on my regular (single person) touring bike. I love them. They can bear a huge load, and I've never flatted on them, even when carrying waaay too much stuff.

Its time for a new set, but I cannot find them anymore.
For this application, speed is not an issue. I want a tough tire, wide tough, no flats, lots of wear....like... like an IRC Tandem Touring Tire!!

Anybody know where I can find some of these?
or
Anyone have any recommendations for something else?

:confused:

sw3759
08-06-2007, 01:56 PM
not sure about the IRC's or what size you were running but you can't go wrong with Panaracer Paselas.the 28's or 32's should work great.they also have 35's as well if want something really fat.the latest models are true to size.they ride nice,fairly cheap,wear like iron.nice tires for non racing situations.i think nashbar has em' cheap at the moment too.
hope that helps.

Scott

Bradford
08-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I tour on 700x37 Continental Top Tours and have always been happy. I've also ridden on 700x28 and 700x32 Top tours without a load. They are comfortable and ride very well.

I've recently moved from the Top Tours for unloaded rides and have been using Roly Polys, which are fine. When I don't have panniers on the bike, I like a tire I can pump to 100 PSI, and the Top Tours only go up to 85. But when I load up the bike, I go back to the 700x37 Contis.

sg8357
08-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Faster touring tire, Conti Sport Contact.
A city slick, the 37mm measures 35mm mounted.
Tough sidewalls, flat protection etc.
Feels real good rolling into and out of turns.

Scott G.

itsflantastic
08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
I don't know how wide they come . . . I have 28's, but I rode Specialized Armadillo's on a fully loaded bike from Minot North Dakota to Bangor Maine without 1 flat. THEN, when I went over my bike, the rear wheel was kind of worn, but the front was fine.

My current fixed gear ride uses that same front tire on the rear wheel. Still, no flats after 20 miles of a daily commute for 6 months in NYC (potholes, glass, nails, everything).

I would reccomend Armadillo's to any and everyone. Much better than the tires that came on my Bruce Gordon which gave me 4 flats in the span of 2 weeks.

Cheers,

Dan

dbrk
08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Schwalbe makes some touring tires that are pretty much indestructible. The price is a tire that really does weigh a ton, even for someone like me who generally ignores the weight of a bicycle. But on a heavy duty tourer or tandem I think the overbuilt Schwalbes would be worth a look. Try wallbike.com for a look.

I think the Paselas are a good recommendation but those Schwalbes might be just the ticket. The Conti Top Tourers are thicker, tougher tires than the Panaracers.

dbrk

sspielman
08-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Schwalbe makes some touring tires that are pretty much indestructible. The price is a tire that really does weigh a ton, even for someone like me who generally ignores the weight of a bicycle. But on a heavy duty tourer or tandem I think the overbuilt Schwalbes would be worth a look. Try wallbike.com for a look.

I think the Paselas are a good recommendation but those Schwalbes might be just the ticket. The Conti Top Tourers are thicker, tougher tires than the Panaracers.

dbrk

I don't want to guilty of thread hijack, but if the Forum would pardon me.....
For a wider tire for somewhat lighter duty, have you tried the Grand Bois Cypres tires? The casing looks different-of course, but the overall profile and tread has the look of an old Wolber....

dbrk
08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
For a wider tire for somewhat lighter duty, have you tried the Grand Bois Cypres tires? The casing looks different-of course, but the overall profile and tread has the look of an old Wolber....

I'm currently using all three of the Gran Bois tires---Cypres in both 700c and 650B and the 28c Cref. These are beautiful tires, though I think the Cref is not as round as RolyPoly but about the same size. For light touring these are fabulous tires but nothing for heavy loads or long term durability/puncture resistance, they are too soft and supple for the hardest work but superbe for anything else. I rarely ride less than 27c, except on a race bike.

dbrk

Kevan
08-06-2007, 09:25 PM
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TI407F00-Irc+Tandem+Duro.aspx

rpm
08-06-2007, 10:09 PM
My advice is to look for a tire that has a vectran belt. It's tougher than kevlar, but way smoother. Kevlar belts make your wheels feel like wagon wheels, but vectran makes them feel like butter. Continental makes the Top Contact available in a variety of sizes

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/tires/city/TopContact/topcontact_en.html

Schwalbe also makes a Vectran tire, the Marathon Supreme, heavy but probably very tough, and availalbe directly from Schwalbe

http://schwalbetires.com/marathon_supreme_home

SayHey
08-07-2007, 02:46 AM
My advice is to look for a tire that has a vectran belt. It's tougher than kevlar, but way smoother. Kevlar belts make your wheels feel like wagon wheels, but vectran makes them feel like butter.

Schwalbe also makes a Vectran tire, the Marathon Supreme, heavy but probably very tough, and availalbe directly from Schwalbe

http://schwalbetires.com/marathon_supreme_homeI'm riding the Schwalbe Marathon on my Atlantis (size 35c) and I'm impressed by the ride of this tire (yes...smoooth). I really like the Conti GP4000, which also has Vectran, so I gave the Marathon Supreme a try. At 460g for a tire this size, it's not that heavy. I prefer the Supreme to the Ruffy Tuffy that I had on the Atlantis before. I recognize part of the increase in comfort is due to the larger size and different tire construction though.

Vancouverdave
08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
The Schwalbe recommendations are right on, however the IRC is an excellent tire and your LBS can order them through either J&B Imports or United Bicycle Supply. I sell them for $22 in my shop--they're a flaming bargain like most IRC tires.

itsflantastic
08-07-2007, 11:19 AM
why no love for the armadillo's from anyone else? am I missing something?

jim in pc
08-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Hey Frog Hair, my father-in-law is the only one I ever heard reply to "How you doin'?" with "I'm just as fine as frog's hair." He's from Marksville. The other side of the in-laws are from Deville by way of Alec and it doesn't seem to be common there. I'm curious where you're from and how common that expression is. I say it up here in Utah now and then but people just look at me like I've got two heads. Having to repeat it and then explain it takes all the fun out of it. (Sorry, I can't help on tires.)

Frog Hair
08-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey Frog Hair, my father-in-law is the only one I ever heard reply to "How you doin'?" with "I'm just as fine as frog's hair." He's from Marksville. The other side of the in-laws are from Deville by way of Alec and it doesn't seem to be common there. I'm curious where you're from and how common that expression is. I say it up here in Utah now and then but people just look at me like I've got two heads. Having to repeat it and then explain it takes all the fun out of it. (Sorry, I can't help on tires.)

First, thanks all for the tire feedback. I need to go handle some new tires for that "touchy/ feely" thing (and not shop the internet) and see what I like.

As for the "Frog Hair", well first - I'm glad someone got it! I borrowed the expression from an old Jewish friend of mine who was a mentor to me in so many ways growing up. He had that one along with a dozen other ageless remarks and phrases that just made him a gold nugget. I've never heard anyone else use it, and I've lived all over the map (and globe for that matter).

And its best not to have to explain it. They'll remember you better if you just leave them to deal with it!

:banana:

palincss
08-07-2007, 05:18 PM

The only good thing about armadillos is their flat resistance, in my experience. They have a lot of rolling resistance and a very harsh ride. I had a set on my commuter and took them off in under 200 miles, just couldn't stand them. Maybe if I lived in goathead thorn country, I'd see things differently.

Ken Robb
08-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I tried a pair a couple of years ago and they rode as I imagine concrete tires would ride. I gave them away after 50 miles of misery. Maybe the newer ones are better but I get no flats with UltraGatorskins or Ruffy-Tuffys and they ride quite well so I won't be back to Armadillos soon.

Dekonick
08-07-2007, 07:07 PM

they ride like cinderblocks...