PDA

View Full Version : Ten Points - book review

Bobbo
08-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I just finished reading Ten Points by Bill Strickland, and it is without a doubt the best book I have read in years, and the best I have ever read about bike racing. Even though it's hardly just about bike racing. Parts are disturbingly dark, horrifying, actually; as Strickland details the abuse he suffered at the hands of his father. I thought it was an amazing read.

Especially if you're a racer, I have never read better descriptions of what it's like to actually suffer through a bike race; his descriptions of the sounds and feelings that make up an adrenaline-filled crit were dead-on. Strickland's writing is incredible. Highly recommended. Just go get it.

dauwhe
08-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I read bits of it a while ago, while working on the eBook version. What happened to him in his childhood was one of the most horrific stories I've ever heard.

The rest of the book makes me very, very glad not to be a bike racer!

Dave

Steelhead
08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
I read a review of it in Bicycle Retailer & Industry News - they liked it as well. Tell me - was it tough to find? Barnes & Noble/Borders walk in or did you have to go electronic??

Bobbo
08-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I bought my copy at Borders - no problem finding it - look in the cycling section.

Steelhead
08-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I bought my copy at Borders - no problem finding it - look in the cycling section.

I know where I'm going for lunch..... :)

William
08-06-2007, 12:03 PM
I just started reading "Metal Cowboy: Tales from the road less pedaled" by Joe Kurmaskie. So far I'm really enjoying it. Ten Points sounds like one I'll add to my list. Actually I need to stop by Borders and pick up "Secret History of the Sword" by Cristoph Amberger. Hmmm, while I'm there..... ;)

William

39cross
10-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Pardon the resurrection of an old thread, but I have to add my praise for Mr. Strickland's memoir. A friend loaned me his copy of Ten Points, which I just finished reading. I highly recommend it. I am in awe of his courage. It is quite possibly the most honest book I have ever read.

johnnymossville
10-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I ran out and bought it the day it came out and read it straight through that night. I think it's a wonderful book from a lot of different angles. well written, great riding/racing stuff, and great stuff on life.

I wonder what the shuffling of people and titles over at Bicycling Magazine is all about though. Sounds like Bill went through something over there.

I wish the best for him.

mike p
10-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Strickland has a real talent, his description of actual racing is incredible I couldn't wait to read more. Unfortunately those descriptions were few and far between and the rest of the book was a downer.

Mike