PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Tam Double Non-Ride Report (Long)

jeffg
08-06-2007, 12:53 AM
As the Germans say, fortune in misfortune, sort of

After a long day at work, I got to the ride about one hour ahead of the 5:00 am start (no sleep).

The climb up to Mt. Tam, which I had never done, was gorgeous, but very uneven with steep sections and lots of flat sections and intermediate descents. The view of San Francisco shrouded in fog (only the top of the Transamerica building was visible and the top of the GG bridge) was amazing!

Then we descended through the fog (it was sunny and warm at the top of Tam!) and rode along the coast for quite a while. I traded pulls with a guy I rode with on the Terrible Two for a while.

All was going well until my custom shoes, that I had sent back for modifications, started killing my feet after about 85 miles :crap: :crap: :crap: I stopped to take off my shoes a few times (and considered tossing them into the abyss) and swear a bit.

Then I headed through some headwinds and the constant rollers that mark this course. Unlike the Terrible Two or Devil Mountain that have numbers of key climbs that mark the course, Mt. Tam gets up to 15,000 feet of climbing with only Tam and Coleman Valley as significant climbs.

Coleman Valley, by the way, is a gorgeous climb but is not as tough as advertised (one section is about 1.5 miles at 10%).

Anyway, I had made it over Coleman Valley and was heading down Joy Road when I got a sudden flat. After fixing the flat I realized the tire had a huge cut in it and it would less than wise to bomb the descent. I was lucky it was a rear flat and I was not going that fast or leaning too heavily in a turn when the rear blew. On the other hand I did not have anything on hand that would really fix it (nothing that would make me feel confident at 40 mph), so I waited for another 30 minutes for a SAG to no avail. I then limped the remaining 10 miles to the next rest stop. Somewhat demoralized, I tried to call my wife and see if she would mind me getting back a little later (it was her birthday the next day, after all) but I could not reach her. I then weighed whether to wait and see if anyone could round up a new tire, but then just decided I really didn't care anymore.

So, I find myself in a new era, where the mantra of death before DNF no longer holds.

Ride stats (to tire desaster): 133.3 miles/12,460 feet of ascent
Time: 9:46
Average on bike speed: 15.1

Maybe I will start carrying a spare tire.

Course Verdict: Beautiful, but with some annoying and occassionally hostile traffic on highway 1 since you hit it in the afternoon. Central Coast hits highway 1 in the early morning, which is much better. The constant up and down of the course is taxing but nothing like facing Skaggs Springs on the Terrible Two after lunch. I much prefer Devil Mountain, Central Coast, or the Terrible Two.

Jeff Verdict: I am on overweight wuss at present. I did ride and finish Central Coast and the Terrible Two this year along with the GF Pantani and the Maratona dles Dolomites, but I am much slower than I have been (ouch) and much more willing to bail if the chips are down. Maybe it's because I know I can finish these rides and am motivated only as long as I ride strong. Maybe it's because I start to think of the burden it is on my wife to watch the kids all day and set internal deadlines for when I should be back and start to think it's not worth it when I don't meet them. I don't quite know yet. What I do know is that I need to find a solution to this foot pain or I am done with doubles until I do. Foot pain on a 6-8 hour ride is one thing. Over 12 hours is quite another ...

And no, Too Tall, I am not taking up crew instead of cycling. That's my wife's gig ... although she wants to start doing doubles next year! Then I can watch the kids while she rides!

wanderingwheel
08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I too rode Mt. Tam. My first double after moving, crewing RAAM, and travilng to Korea on business. This is not the best double training plan out there.

Being my normal pokey self, I got to the start just after everybody else rode out. Miss the first few traffic lights, and I'm suddenly far behind my friends up at the front. A long chase and I finally catch them at the base of Pine Mountain only to see a Slipstream rider and few others from the usual cast of hammerheads in the group.

This does not bode well for the rest of the day.

Sure enough, I have to throw out the anchor at the coast after riding for a while with my friends. At least I think I'm off the hook now for the Hoodoo 500 (I was actually starting to look forward to it), but now I may be on the hook for Furace Creek (uh oh).

Overall, a wonderful course, perfect weather, and a nice slow ride.

Jeffg, are you the one who was playing around with your shoes on Coleman Valley?

jeffg
08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Jeffg, are you the one who was playing around with your shoes on Coleman Valley?

Yes, I was the only poor fool I saw taking off shoes in between rest stops, so that must have been me. I was riding a Team Nerac Love #3 if that helps. I took of my shoes at the base of the climb and then realized I had picked up a thorn in my shoe (my feet were hurting so badly I thought the shooting pain of the thorn was normal). Once I got the thorn out the climb was a breeze ;)

Perhaps I will see you out there on the DC circuit again (if I get this foot thing figured out).

Jeff

Waldo
08-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Well, guys,

I had planned on doing the metric double. Got to Terra Linda around 6:30, found no parking, so I pulled into an apartment building parking lot to turn around and look for parking elsewhere. Drove into a carport to make a 3-point turn... Crunch!!! Crunch!!! Crap, my bike is on the roof!

Good bye, fork. Drove all the way home to Oakland, unsure whether to cry or curse -- did some of both, grabbed another bike, put it INSIDE the car and drove back to Terra Linda. Got rolling at 8:00. Now, only had enough time for a 100 miler. At the first rest stop just past Novato cheese factory that I was trying to roll through, someone turned into me and took me down. "Are you OK?" "NO!" But the bike is OK, so I keep going wondering whether with all these adventures I'd be better off turning around and riding back to the car.

Rode angry and hard... Rollers, rollers, more rollers... Learning that the substitute bike I grabbed is not a great climber (or is it me that's not a great climber?)... Left shoulder on which I fell hurts... First cramps at mile 45... Getting overheated... It's been cool and overcast the entire week, why does it have to be hot today? Don't feel like eating much -- rest stop fare looks not so appetizing... Right knee aches... Damn, I should have grabbed another bike... Feeling slightly nauseous around mile 72... Rolling out of Petaluma rest stop, still feeling nauseous... Hot, head wind... Plod, plod up Red Hill... Crampy and nauseous... Left knee hurts too... Roll through Nicasio rest stop but remain upright, which I treat as a small blessing...

The rest of the ride was uneventful. Car's thermometer said 100 degrees at 3:00... Just out of curiousity, turned on the computer at 5:45 to check the weather in Petaluma. It was still 89 degrees.

Anyone want to do the Knoxville Double in Vacaville on September 29? Should be nice and hot again. :bike:

wanderingwheel
08-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Jeffg -- I'm the one you decided was Papa Smurf, or something like that, as I was toodling my way towards and up Coleman Valley.

Haven't signed up yet, but I'll probably be at Knoxville ... and Bass Lake ... and ...

jeffg
08-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Jeffg -- I'm the one you decided was Papa Smurf, or something like that, as I was toodling my way towards and up Coleman Valley.

Haven't signed up yet, but I'll probably be at Knoxville ... and Bass Lake ... and ...

You make my troubles look like a walk in the park! I just need to replace a tire!

Ah, I remember the "Papa Smurf" comment. I was just bemused at the series of rollers and someone said Coleman Valley was coming up, but I wanted to know if it was much further. I asked him and he said it was about 5 miles. 15 miles later I started to think the climb didn't exist ;) I was so much happier this year on the Mortirolo than on those rollers. Each km marked, with the average grade for that km. True, 6 in a row are 12% or more, but I prefer knowing what I am getting into. Anyway, it was a dumb joke, but if you have seen the Smurfs (I watched an episode with one of my many nieces recently), all the Smurfs keep asking Papa Smurf if it is much further. He keeps saying "not much further" to encourage them until the nagging becomes too much, he loses his temper and yells: "Yes, it is much further!"

jeffg
08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Forgot to mention all the PBP riders doing one last dry run out there on the double ... Cool! I particularly liked the guy with his Bamboo Calfee, racks, lights, the whole nine yards. There were a couple Rivs out there too decked out for PBP ... Go team Norcal!

wanderingwheel
08-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Okay, the Papa Smurf comment makes more since. I spent the rest of the ride trying to figure it out, and was never able to.

The Bamboo rider was probably Tom Milton, maker of the Selle Anatomica saddles. Just recieved a saddle from him, and handlebar tape soon.

I didn't really have any troubles on the ride, I'm just loudly complaining about my poor shape.

jeffg
08-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Okay, the Papa Smurf comment makes more since. I spent the rest of the ride trying to figure it out, and was never able to.

The Bamboo rider was probably Tom Milton, maker of the Selle Anatomica saddles. Just recieved a saddle from him, and handlebar tape soon.

I didn't really have any troubles on the ride, I'm just loudly complaining about my poor shape.

I was talking about Vlad breaking his fork prior to the ride and having to go get another bike!

I bet you are right about Tom. I think he sagged in with me due to stomach issues. What a nice guy ...

wanderingwheel
08-08-2007, 10:06 AM
I was talking about Vlad breaking his fork prior to the ride and having to go get another bike!

I bet you are right about Tom. I think he sagged in with me due to stomach issues. What a nice guy ...

Oops, should have paid closer attention. Sorry Vlad.

Sorry to hear about Tom, I only saw him for a few seconds while stopped at a light, and never saw him at the finish.