PDA

View Full Version : The Bourne Ultimatum...

Kevan
08-05-2007, 04:24 PM
There's a scene in that film that involves a US-based bicycle shop. What's the name of that shop?

The first who guesses the name wins an all expense paid date with Sandy. Hint the name of the shop isn't visible and will require: (a) familiarity with the shop, or (b) some research.

Sandy will pick up the bill. The date and the events therein are of his choosing. I'm sure you'll be entertained.

Okay with you Sandy?

BumbleBeeDave
08-05-2007, 04:35 PM
No Mexican food on the date. It gives him gas . . . :eek:

BBD

p.s. . . . don't ask me how I know!

Smiley
08-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Good movie , saw it last night but was too caught up in the action to catch the shop name or locale .

I did have a date with Sandy today taking the Thin Man out for a ride though, what do I get for that :)

Steelhead
08-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Tried to go see that one last night at the big movieplex, and it was sold out across the board. About 8 screenings of it at one large theater, and all sold out. Must buy early and try again next weekend. Nothing better than a dark cold theater, a big Coke and some 'corn after a long morning ride.

jhcakilmer
08-05-2007, 05:57 PM
I didn't notice any bike shop scene...

It was my least favorite of the Bourne franchise.....lots of action (mostly just fancy camera techniques), but not really much along the intellectual suspense that the prequels had. Fun movie, but lacked substance.

Kevan
08-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I didn't notice any bike shop scene...

It was my least favorite of the Bourne franchise.....lots of action (mostly just fancy camera techniques), but not really much along the intellectual suspense that the prequels had. Fun movie, but lacked substance.

but the next time I have a small fender bender, I've really got to buck up.

Birddog
08-05-2007, 07:23 PM
How timely, I just got back from seeing it. My guess is that the scene in question was towards the end and that the shop was listed on the bldg directory.

Birddog

1centaur
08-05-2007, 07:35 PM
If it was on a building directory, that eliminates most of the bike shops in the country.

Signature Cycles?

JohnS
08-05-2007, 07:37 PM
I went to The Simpsons Movie instead.

Kevan
08-05-2007, 07:50 PM
for a clue?

Lifelover
08-05-2007, 07:57 PM
for a clue?

Google certainly was no help.

Kevan
08-05-2007, 08:27 PM
pay attention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY7CnUY2EWk

Ginger
08-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Hmmmm...

I know the shop. :)

But I haven't seen the movie yet.

Kevan
08-05-2007, 08:37 PM
let's not stand on ceremony; if you know the answer, well then...out with it.

Unless of course you somehow cheated. You be the judge.

How'dja figure it out?

jhcakilmer
08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
pay attention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY7CnUY2EWk

I saw the shop, had a Cyclo-ops trainer right in the window. Unfortunately I forget what street.......but it was definitely in the movie.

Sandy
08-05-2007, 10:21 PM
There's a scene in that film that involves a US-based bicycle shop. What's the name of that shop?

The first who guesses the name wins an all expense paid date with Sandy. Hint the name of the shop isn't visible and will require: (a) familiarity with the shop, or (b) some research.

Sandy will pick up the bill. The date and the events therein are of his choosing. I'm sure you'll be entertained.

Okay with you Sandy?

May I guess too? I always wanted a date with Sandy. He is such a charming chap. If I do guess the name correctly and win the all expense paid date with Sandy, will he pick me up for the date or will I pick him up for the date? Do we make reservations for one or two?? :rolleyes:

Sandy

Kevan
08-06-2007, 06:51 AM
I think most of the folks here considering a guess would hope that you too give your answer and win. Go for it!

Kevan
08-06-2007, 06:52 AM
for one more clue?

William
08-06-2007, 06:58 AM

Dunno. I stayed home with Mrs William and watched 300. :cool:

William

johnmdesigner
08-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Sid's?

Kevan
08-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Sid's?

but you're getting warm.

johnmdesigner
08-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Conrads!!!!!

Kevan
08-06-2007, 09:15 AM
a ci-gar!

johnmdesigner
08-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Can I get an extension of my unemployment insurance for answering correctly?
What will Sandy be wearing for our date? :banana:

amg
08-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Tudor City Place = Conrad's. I'm sure Conrad's has been seen in a lot of movies as Tudor City Place is a hot spot for filming movies.

Great shop, BTW.

Antonio

keno
08-06-2007, 03:49 PM
just got back from youtube and was watching some to die for Chris Rock while I was there. Anyone get the answer? BTW, almost went blind watching the Bourne stuff. Apparently I need more work. BTW, skip the clues for me; I do internet. Now if a movie has a web page, I'm in.

keno

Kevan
08-06-2007, 07:41 PM
http://www.nycc.org/images/eny_spons/Conrands_nface.gif

Larry
08-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Yes......just saw the movie.

Senseless violence at its finest.
Is it any wonder we have so much violent crime in the U.S.?
This was not an action movie. Pointless, in my opinion.

Larry in Dallas ........ a very violent city in itself.

Sandy
08-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Can I get an extension of my unemployment insurance for answering correctly?
What will Sandy be wearing for our date? :banana:

An armored suit and I will be carrying a fully loaded AK-47. :rolleyes: :)

Sandy

Kevan
08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
'r what?!

BumbleBeeDave
08-06-2007, 09:56 PM
NO Mexican food! :eek: ;)

BBD

soulspinner
08-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Yes......just saw the movie.

Senseless violence at its finest.
Is it any wonder we have so much violent crime in the U.S.?
This was not an action movie. Pointless, in my opinion.

Larry in Dallas ........ a very violent city in itself.

could not agree more :bike:

Elefantino
08-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Wife and I saw it today and I pitted out my T-shirt. Almost.

Senseless, yes. Check your brain at the door, yes.

But the action was first rate. And the camera work was cool.

michael white
08-07-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't find the Bourne films senseless at all. They are in fact deservingly well-reviewed. There's a conscience developed in this franchise that is lacking in pretty much every other action film since, say, the two French Connection films. It's about the consequence of manipulating the soul, the true price of power, the fragility of geopolitics, etc. . . .and mixed with that is an incredibly poetic grasp of urban imagery. I found the Russian scenes in Supremacy to be some of the finest passages of description I've seen on the screen, ever. The sense of place really haunts, and it's done with admirable restraint, even love. Character development is similarly skillful; people reveal themselves on the run. I loved the moment in Supremacy when Bourne, finding himself pitted against a knife-wielding assasin, grabs a rolled-up magazine and wields it effectively. It's the sort of detail no standard Hollywood feature would ever include, yet it not only completely convinces, it shows us exactly how dangerous this Bourne dude is, who not only doesn't drive a nice car or stay in nice hotels, he doesn't even bother with weapons till they reveal themselves. In all, the series tries to achieve the same breakneck rhythm of the French Connection films and, in my opinion, succeeds. Paul Greengrass, who directed the 2nd and 3rd of the Bourne films, is utterly brilliant. However, I did feel that the 3rd was more an effort toward closure of the franchise; I feel it wasn't as strong a narrative as Supremacy. Critics don't seem to agree with me. Anyway, there's nothing else like it; it's brain food with a heavy adrenaline rush. Compare to franchises like Die Hard, Bond, or Dirty Harry, which all operate on a simplified, cartoonlike worldview, and it's clear why critics like David Denby of the New Yorker are so enthusiastic about Bourne.

best,
mw

Grant McLean
08-07-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't find the Bourne films senseless at all. They are in fact deservingly well-reviewed. There's a conscience developed in this franchise that is lacking in pretty much every other action film since, say, the two French Connection films. It's about the consequence of manipulating the soul, the true price of power, the fragility of geopolitics, etc. . . .and mixed with that is an incredibly poetic grasp of urban imagery. I found the Russian scenes in Supremacy to be some of the finest passages of description I've seen on the screen, ever. The sense of place really haunts, and it's done with admirable restraint, even love. Character development is similarly skillful; people reveal themselves on the run. I loved the moment in Supremacy when Bourne, finding himself pitted against a knife-wielding assasin, grabs a rolled-up magazine and wields it effectively. It's the sort of detail no standard Hollywood feature would ever include, yet it not only completely convinces, it shows us exactly how dangerous this Bourne dude is, who not only doesn't drive a nice car or stay in nice hotels, he doesn't even bother with weapons till they reveal themselves. In all, the series tries to achieve the same breakneck rhythm of the French Connection films and, in my opinion, succeeds. Paul Greengrass, who directed the 2nd and 3rd of the Bourne films, is utterly brilliant. However, I did feel that the 3rd was more an effort toward closure of the franchise; I feel it wasn't as strong a narrative as Supremacy. Critics don't seem to agree with me. Anyway, there's nothing else like it; it's brain food with a heavy adrenaline rush. Compare to franchises like Die Hard, Bond, or Dirty Harry, which all operate on a simplified, cartoonlike worldview, and it's clear why critics like David Denby of the New Yorker are so enthusiastic about Bourne.

best,
mw

nice! i might check them out.

g